Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Adm. Ross- There might be $$$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Adm. Ross- There might be $$$$
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The actress who played Nechayev died. However, in various novels, she still hodls a high position in Starfleet operations.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Brigman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The actress who played Nacheyev died?? When?? How?

------------------
Peace!
Brigs

IP: Logged
Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Real sound logic you have there. If we haven't seen it, it doesn't exist.

------------------
"There are always bigger tits."

Qui-Gon Jinn in Mos Espa's sleaziest adult nightclub.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't think that Natalia Nogulich, the actress who played Admiral Nechayev, is dead. I can't be certain since the IMDb appears to be down at the moment. However, she does all the Bible readings for A&E's "Mysteries of the Bible", so she must be at least semi-alive.

------------------
"It's not my birthday, it's not today. It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me?"
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to IMDb, she hasn't been in anything since early 1998.

------------------
Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Pinky: "I think so, Brain, but, if you get a long little doggie, wouldn't you just call it a 'dachshund'?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but it doesn't include the A&E gig, does it?

------------------
"It's not my birthday, it's not today. It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me?"
--
They Might Be Giants

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
grb: I like it with one or two minor revisions.

I don't know if we can say that Ross is command of all the Federation forces in the Dominion war for sure. But we can say that by the end of the series he is certainly in charge of all the forces operating in the Bajoran theatre of the war. It seems like, as Vice-Admiral, it's more likely that he as command over a particular theatre of operations than over the whole war. For instance, several times he just reports on the goings on the Bolian or Vulcan Fronts, where it seems there would likely be other Admirals. As an analogy, think of Ike in WWII. In command of all Allied forces in Europe, but not the whole war.

Continuing the analogy and a point I've made on some other boards: Sisko's importance seems to me completely in keeping with his experience in the sector and in dealing with the Dominion. Not to mention commander of the primary base. I tend to think of him as Omar Bradley to Ross's Ike. Though the rank can be confusing.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very strange to think that the people who make Star Trek created the encyclopedia to keep track of things and yet we still have to point out mistakes in both the shows and the encyclopedia itself. A mon avis, I believe that the four pips inside the box is for fleet admiral. The fact that admirals on the shows who were addressed as fleet admiral while wearing the three pips inside the box was a mistake.

------------------
"But I want it that way"

-Backstreet Boys

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With The five-star fleet admiral thing aside (don't know where they got that from) who can blame the Enclyclopedia people for labeling the Admiral insignias generically (one star, etc.). The show is so inconsistant with Admiral rankings what are they supposed to do?
The Tom: Actually the last time a Commodore was mentioned was in the com traffic at the beginning of ST: TMP. Kirk was just so cool that they kicked him straight up to Rear Admiral. Of course even by the chronology's (in my opininion stupid) assessment that only a year (or whatever) went by between TOS and TMP, that still gives Kirk enough time to become a Commodore, and then be promoted to RADM. While I was in the Navy I saw an Admiral go from RADM LH to UH to VADM over a six month period and she wasn't even a great hero like Kirk.

[This message has been edited by Obi Juan (edited June 28, 1999).]

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute I assumed they would just take normal US Naval Ranks you know Rear Admiral one pip, Vice Admiral two pips, Admiral three pips, Fleet Admiral four pips. Any way I thought the rank of a Commodore was an honerary rank given to a captian when he was on another ship, so there who only be one captain on the ship. Of course being Star Trek the couldn't follow the perfectly logical system the US navy had, they had to make there own one up loosy based on the US Navy's ranks .

HMS White Star

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starfleet does follow the US Navy's system, right down to a similar basis in the rank insignia.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I could never sleep my way to the top, 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - TMBG

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

And why can't they make up their own rank format, or adjust an existing one? Heck, my SF story uses Sirdars and...uh...other guys.

*checks notes*

------------------
"And give me back my evil heart so I can see you as you are."
--
John Linnell

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who wants to make up a rank system probably doesn't understand the logistics and purpose of ranks in the first place.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I could never sleep my way to the top, 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - TMBG

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if they DID make up their own, it would be harder for people to pick up on right away.

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I found my notes.

Sirdar
Dizdar
Naik
Nizam

Those are just preliminary, though.

------------------
"And give me back my evil heart so I can see you as you are."
--
John Linnell

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps