Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Vote for Captain Kirk (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Vote for Captain Kirk
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on my WAY to being known for that? Damn TSN, I've been known for that for at least a year now. You're seriously behind the times. You'll also be saddened to learn that "Murder She Wrote" has been cancelled. So sorry.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scientists Discover New Form Of Written Expression

Flareville
--
Researchers for the Department of Understanding and Hermeneutics announced in a press conference today that a new form of written expression has been discovered. Previously unknown, the form, which researchers have termed "irony," is apparently widespread in written and verbal communication, though it had not been described scientifically until recently.

"We were surprised to discover that irony is among the top ten linguistic forms being used today, all over the world," said chief researcher Herman Obvious. "And it doesn't appear to be limited much by language or culture."

Irony, which one researcher described as "kind of like saying one thing and meaning another, but not quite, and kind of like exaggeration, only not really" is formally described in the study as an "incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result."

"The really interesting thing," said Obvious, "is that irony is apparently all around us, but before now no one has seemed to notice. There's nothing like this in the literature." Unlike many forms of expression, irony can apparently be transmitted without the transmitter's knowledge or consent. And its reception is even rarer.

"For instance," said Obvious, "if someone says something untrue as if it were true, your normal reaction would be to react against this untruth in ways which we find fairly easy to predict. But it turns out that these sorts of expressions are actually examples of irony, and go largely undetected."

Obvious was quick to acknowledge the contributions of other linguistic studies, including an influential study conducted several years ago by researchers at Morissette College.

"The ground work has been in place for some time now, really, but no one has ever tied it together like this before."

Future research will focus on the phenomenon of irony extension, or the 'horse bludgeoning effect,' described by Obvious as when an ironic point is extended beyond all reason.

"It just sort of goes on and on, well past the point when the irony has become apparent," said Obvious. "Come to think of it, that's kind of ironic."

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that's amazing I didn't even know they studied this kind of thing. Think of the applications for robotics.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Again. Look at the top three threads in general Trek, somehow they have all metamorphasised into 'kill the newbie' threads.
I'd say they're closer to newbie grudge-matches.
The Defiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry.
IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was no irony in my post. Anywhere. None at all. Except the obvious stuff. Which was very ironic. Simon needs to pay more attention.

[Smile]

Defiant: Shaddup.

The Defiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
What? What did I do?? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
I need to shut up. [Eek!]

(It was a joke. Lighten up)

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This stupidity stops. Now.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or is it disturbing that, even after all that from Simon, Jeff still doesn't understand what I was talking about?

Oh, and that question is rhetorical, of course, since I'm now re-locking the thread...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps