Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Stuart Baird - "I don't really care about the history" (Nemesis $$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stuart Baird - "I don't really care about the history" (Nemesis $$)
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why do i get the impression that the next movie is going to be shitty?
IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...because the fanboy-driven mess that passes as "the online media" wants you to believe that?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what you always say, Frost - you always got a bad feeling about this drop.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, okay. When we get back without you, I'll call your folks
IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EdipisReks:
why do i get the impression that the next movie is going to be shitty?

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm on one hand we have this new director guy, who could be good, or who could suck at this role. He has Executive Decision and US Martials behind him, which doesnt really add or take away from his name IMO. He say's he 'doesnt care' what a character acted like, or the Trek history.

Then we have Logan, who is brilliant. Gladiator, The Time Machine (which I loved), and plus a strong fan of the franchise. We know a lot of the history of Trek is gonna be written into the story.

Together, we have a fresh new apporach to a story that has strong ties in the trek-timeline. A bad thing? Of course theres a possibility. I think it all depends on the story. Insurrection was a tad weak in that department, but then of course, that was 9... this is 10.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just getting a real 'Batman and Robin' feel from both the script and the pictures i've seen.. the difference in cheesiness expected of the Trek franchise and those bullshit schumacher movies is large.. i hope they dont throw their credibility out the window wih cheesy design and writing tricks.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, personally, I'm not impressed with Baird or Logan, in the sense that either are favorites of mine. U.S. Marshals was, well, ok. I've never understood the appeal of Gladiator other than a movie where Romans fight things, which is itself more than enough justification for a film. But "Wow, this movie displays cracking dialogue and plotting so tight you couldn't squeeze a razor through it." never crossed my mind.

But, what does that matter? Jonathan Frakes is not exactly the most talented member of the director's guild. And yet First Contact was good. Heck, Leonard Nimoy is just some guy who wore pointed ears for awhile and released a few books of poems. But good films there too. Well, one really good one.

My point is that "knowledge" of a backstory is no guarantee of quality, as any dip into alt.startrek.creative will show. Or, hell, the Star Wars prequels.

At the same time, it's not like they've brought in the Coen brothers or Alex Proyas, so I'm not exactly burning with eager anticipation of a fresh new take on Star Trek. It will be what it will be.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think a fresh take on the thing is bad in itself... but I do think an "I don't care" attitude is a bad sign. If he doesn't care about Star Trek history, then he's probably not going to be going out of his way to make a Star Trek film... it's going to be his film.

That's just the vibe I get from comments like "I don't care about the history". Now... it was coming second hand, so who knows if that was actually ever said...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, perhaps, but Trek films aren't exactly a director's medium, if you get my drift. We've got nine so far, with seven different directors, and they all have a "feel" in common, even if they vary wildly in quality. Now, considering that I couldn't tell a Baird film from a McTiernan film, I'm not worried about a distinctive directorial vision that conflicts with Star Trek.
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
. . . fanboy-driven mess . . .

The words you use to describe "the online media" strike me as a fitting description for what many of us have so far heard about "Star Trek: Nemesis." We already have a poorly-conceived, second-rate plot, a script written for fanboys, by a fanboy, and a budget cut. Now we learn the director does not "really care about the history." I am all for a "fresh" take on Star Trek, at least to a certain degree, but "The Next Generation" movies have already been distinctly different from the series. Any further moves away from what that series was, and who it's characters were, would probably produce a movie with little resemblance to the show it is based on, and, thus, contain little of what I watch Star Trek (The Next Generation) for. The movies have already tried to turn Captain Picard into some sort of action hero (albeit with a big vocabulary); what is "Nemesis" going to do with/to him? Is Picard going to be running around in a dirty tank-top, firing rifles, "Die Hard" style? (Oh, wait, he already did that.) What happened to the tea-sipping, tunic-pulling, brains-before-brawn captain I knew and loved in the series?

Mind you, most of my aforementioned gripes with the movie are rumor, thus, I will hold final judgement until I see "Star Trek: Nemesis," but I sincerely hope the finished product bears little resemblance the the film I have heard about.

[ June 19, 2002, 17:49: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Is Picard going to be running around in a dirty tank-top, firing rifles, 'Die Hard' style?"

Well, he recklessly drives a pseudoJeep w/ a gigantic gun on the back. Does that count?

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Is Picard going to be running around in a dirty tank-top, firing rifles, 'Die Hard' style?"

Well, he recklessly drives a pseudoJeep w/ a gigantic gun on the back. Does that count?

Yes, what you describe sounds like it counts as more Picard, intellectual action hero. Does the jeep by any chance break down, causing Picard to cry "a horse, a horse: my starship for a horse?" What happened to sending Riker on recklessly driven jeep type missions while the good captain employed brain power?

[ June 20, 2002, 20:43: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:

Maybe he'll have one of those really amazing rotary machine guns like Blaine had in Predator!

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps