Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Stuart Baird - "I don't really care about the history" (Nemesis $$) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stuart Baird - "I don't really care about the history" (Nemesis $$)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, yes, I'm as reasonably familiar with WWI history as the next guy. It's the connection to Star Trek I don't see. I really don't see the Cardassian War as anything like WWI. Unless you're suggesting that the UFP treaty with the Cardassian Union was as punishing, but that hardly seems like a supportable claim.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The parallel is that, in both cases, the "good guys" won, made the "bad guys" sign a treaty, then sat back and felt good about themselves. The "bad guys" just got more and more pissed off, then eventually came back w/ even more power than they'd had before and started a new war.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the parallel, though it seems a little tenuous. There's little evidence that the Cardassian Peace Treaty of 2367 was imposed by the victors and seen by the Cardassians as punishing and humiliating in the same way the the Treaty of Versailles was. I mean, the implication was given fairly frequently that the Cardassians fared worse than the Federation in the conflict, and the Cardassian Union lost some star systems, yes, but then again, the Feds evidently gave up some, too. That seems to imply that the final deal (which must have been negotiated after years of some kind of cease-fire considering the wars were likely wrapped up before TNG began) was a fairly-negotiated deal rather than imposed winner's justice.

If anything, Cardassia was a bit more like Mussolini's Italy. There was the delusion in the eyes of the Cardassian citizenry that they were a quadrant power the equal of the Federation or the Klingons or Romulans when the cold hard truth was that they weren't. Dukat cozied up with the Dominion as a possible means to achieve the end of great power status that Cardassia's public believed was rightfully deserved. It, of course, proved to be something less than a equal partnership.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Tom. I don't believe we ever heard anything about Cardassia being forced to cut back its production of war material (though I imagine there was some minor language of the sort included). And it certainly appeared that the UFP gave up more space along the Demilitarized Zone than the Union did. (Perhaps this was to make up for the withdrawl from Bajor, which seemed to be a fairly large concession on the part of the Cardassians. Though it did appear that the Bajoran resistance was making the occupation increasingly expensive anyway.)

Of course, I'm sure it must have seemed like a larger blow to your average Elim Q. Sixpack.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont think the 2367 treaty was like versailles.. we know that the actual Cardassian fighting ended in the 2350s or early 2360s and it was basically just a disputed border by the time that treaty came out.. i think that giving the Cardies the demilitarized zone was a failed attempt at appeasement of their new growing military might.. an old mistake, in light of the earlier conflict we are comparing it to..
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you're gonna add a tiny little moustache to Dukat's face?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

He could use something to twirl in his last two or three appearences. Alas.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least everyone agrees that all analogies must necessarily be black and white, eh?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I don't mean to drag you in front of the People's Analogy Review Board, Tim. I just didn't think it was really all that close.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

It wasn't supposed to be close. It was just the first comparison that came to mind, for the reasons I already stated.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, a history comparison discussion. At least I'm good at that. But I don't have the time right now to respond with a long reply.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate my computer... Double post.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with TSN. The real and the fictional histories aren't exactly parallel, but there are several subtle similarities.
For one, when Cardassia allied itself with the Dominion it was because, as Dukat said, it had become a third rate power. A beaten people if you will, what with the Klingon invasion, Marquis raids and the overthrow of the Military government.
Much like Germany was after WWI and like Germany, Cardassia turned their leadership over to an apparently superior body; which of course was the Dominion (for Germany, the Nazi Party) to rebuild the nation to the glory of the Empire that once was and beyond.
There are several other WWII similarities that I need not go into; among which are an alliance with an alien force (Breen/Japan), last minute side switching, the US (Romulans) being forced into the war on the British (Federation) side.

Like I said, not exact parallels, just familiar patterns.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I think joining up with an exterior power is way different from voting in a mad paper-hanger, though.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strenuous connectorialism:

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault uses the Quake III engine.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault takes place in the World War Two.

RavenSoft obtained the rights to use the Quake III engine.

RavenSoft developed Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force.

Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force takes place in the Star Trek worldy thing.

Therefore, is Martok actually Stalin?

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps