Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Vulcans (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Vulcans
Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, let's operate on the following premises:

1. All full-blooded Vulcans have green blood.

2. Humans get the red pigmentation in their lips from their red blood.

3. T'Pol is a full-blooded Vulcan.

Based on the previous information, we can logically conclude that T'Pol should have green lips. We can see from the following images that they are not. Is this by accident or design?

http://www.startrek.com/library/media_ENT.asp?id=113624

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, this hardly seems to be a problem unique to T'Pol.
Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True...I was just using her as an example.

--------------------
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is such a thing as lipstick. perhaps it is logical to wear lipstick, so all logical vulcan's wear lipstick. and perhaps it is also very fashionable to wear lipstick, so nonlogical vulcans also wear lipstick. [Wink]
IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dogs have red blood. However, most dogs have black lips. Also, most dogs do not wear lipstick.

Take THAT, common sense.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You enjoy this, don't you Mark? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, every "Caucasian" Vulcan ought to have a slight green tinge to their skin all over (for the same reason that white people look kind of pink). But they don't go to the make-up trouble to do that. Just like they don't make actors playing Bolians or Andorians eat blue popsicles to turn their tongues blue.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they really should though..

BTW, from 'The Cage' all the way through the present, they have painted Vulcans (and Romulans) down with a greenish-bronze tone. the makeup is called LN-1, it stands for 'Leonard Nimoy' I think that 90-something percent of all Trek Vulcanoids have had color applied to their skins.

Sorak
Member # 874

quote:
Dogs have red blood. However, most dogs have black lips. Also, most dogs do not wear lipstick.
Need we remind you that T'Pol (and every other Vulcan) is not a dog? Sheesh...

I think they need to apply more of that stuff...they don't look green enough. My complaint about the lips stands...

--------------------
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cadet Sorak:
quote:
Need we remind you that T'Pol (and every other Vulcan) is not a dog? Sheesh...

I think they need to apply more of that stuff...they don't look green enough. My complaint about the lips stands...

i think you missed the point about the dogs. dogs have red blood, but they don't necessarily have red lips, so why should a vulcan have green lips just because they have green blood? vulcan's are probably less similar to human's chemically and biologically than dogs are, and the hard and fast lip/blood color rule doesn't even work between humans and dogs! how can you expect it to work with two very dissimilar species? for all we know, vulcan lips don't have a blood supply, and instead nutrients and oxygen are delivered to the tissue through cellular diffusion. just because something is true of one species (human lip color is dependant on human blood color) doesn't mean that it is true of other species, regardless of how outwardly similar the two species are. a clue, please acquire.
IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidentally, there were plans afoot to give the Andorians on Enterprise blue mouth interiors (surely there's a less styupid-sounding term than that), but they found out that any kind of dying agent would have made the actor's dental work appear all funny looking. Now if only little Jeffy Combs had ate less candy as a child... [Smile]

I've always thought that the decision to give Bolians dark blue blood was fairly brilliant, incidentally. Certainly not the sort of smart and subtle attention to detail we expect on a series that's spat out under tremendous duress. Might Bolian blood be based around a Copper (III) molecule as its haeme replacement?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does vulcan blood transport oxygen?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Copper, too... but there are Cuprous and Cupric forms, one that's blue and one that's green, and I'm speculating the Bolians have bichemistry that lends itself to the blue form, which I have a hunch is Copper (III). (AP chemistry being a thankfully distant memory, I can't say anything more definate than that.)

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sorak
Member # 874

Only in this forum could a simple question about lip color get turned into a biology lesson... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll never believe this, but someone told me that trek was just a TV show, and like all science fiction, requires some suspension of reality and plausibility for the story to work.
...they were probably lying though. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps