Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Vulcans (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Vulcans
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had a nickel everytime that was pointed out, I'd have at least enough money for a large pepsi.
Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...they were probably lying though
Darn right. [Smile]

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
Copper, too... but there are Cuprous and Cupric forms, one that's blue and one that's green, and I'm speculating the Bolians have bichemistry that lends itself to the blue form, which I have a hunch is Copper (III). (AP chemistry being a thankfully distant memory, I can't say anything more definate than that.)

Uh, I just had a thought. At least, I remembered something: wasn't there a comment in one episode or another about a blood transfusion from a Vulcan to a Bolian being fatal to the recipient? I ask because it might be that both Vulcans and Bolians have copper-based blood, but one is Cuprous and one Cupric. Just thinking...
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be worth noting that an Andorian seen in ("Offspring" [TNG]) actually had what looked like green skin instead of blue.
Possibly a sign of similarity between Andorian and Vulcan blood, or a different ethnic group from Andor's equatorial regions?
Which raises an interesting question, what colour would an Andorian's sunburn be? Would the blue copper react with the heat or solar radiation somehow and turn green? Is the intensity of the Vulcan sun a factor in this? If as the encyclopaedia says, that Bolian blood is chemically very different from Vulcan blood they what else other than copper could be responsible for their blue skin? Is it possible that Bolians have a similar physiology to plant life which would mean that their skin colour may be a part of some kind of photosynthetic process?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dogs have red blood. However, most dogs have black lips. Also, most dogs do not wear lipstick.
It has nothing to do with blood. Cats and dogs have evolutionized black pigmentation in their lips that, together with the black rims around their eyes, form a delicate visual communications tool. You can see it especially clear in tigers, their other lines in the face boosting the effect.

All the big cats have it, my little one only has a small black passage in the right corner of his mouth, the rest is cutesy pink.

-  -

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Yamashiro Den
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, my family is a bunch of fucking tigers, and we don't have black lips. libel! slander!
IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought that the blueskins were those with cobalt-based blood..?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It has nothing to do with blood.
Uh, that's exactly what I was saying...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Free ThoughtCrime America:
If I had a nickel everytime that was pointed out, I'd have at least enough money for a large pepsi.

-

or maybe a two liter bottle! 4 dollars an ounce, street value! BWAH HA HA

BTW how much does sunburn have to do with blood? i thought it was just skin getting charred to a deeper color.

ad our skin is pigmented, albinos have white skin with *gasp* red blood underneath

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We really need someone with a medical background to figure this one out.
Where's Masao when you need him!?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we're merely speculating, I don't think much stuff needs "figuring out."

And I'm fairly sure Shik is correct in pointing out that a cobalt-based oxygen-carrying molecule would most likely result in blue blood. Of course, whether Andorian blue coloration comes from skin pigmentation or blood or both is unknown. Bolians, at least, have deep blue blood, but whether their colouration comes entirely from the blood or whether pigmentation also plays a role is also unknown. Rixx was a pretty pasty blue Bolian relative to some others, so that would seem to be good evidence of at least some pigmentation variation on top of the mild blue palor any humanoid with blue blood might have.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Nimpim rightly implied, we don't need someone with a medical background as much as someone with a veternarian background, or at least someone with as broad a biological background as possible.

While I'm at it:
quote:
...about a blood transfusion from a Vulcan to a Bolian being fatal to the recipient? I ask because it might be that both Vulcans and Bolians have copper-based blood, but one is Cuprous and one Cupric. Just thinking...
Get a blood injection from your neighbour, if your blood coagulates, you'll quickly learn why blood transfusions can be fatal even without a different base ion. [Smile]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunburns have nothing to do w/ blood. It's exactly what the name implies: a radiation burn. A suntan is also unrelated to blood. The tan stuff is melanin, a pigment in the skin. It's the same stuff that makes a black person's skin dark (or any other race w/ darker skin than whites), and obviously we all have the same kind of blood.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps