Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The light at the end of the tunnel? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The light at the end of the tunnel?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From imdb.com:

Star Trek: Termination?

Star Trek producer Rick Berman has acknowledged that following the failure of Star Trek: Nemesis, the future of the feature franchise is uncertain. "I don't think this is like falling off a horse, and you want to jump right back on it," he told Sci-Fi Wire, the news website of the Sci-Fi Channel. Asked what went wrong, Berman replied: "There's no way of telling what happened. ... I'm convinced that we made a very good movie, and I'm also convinced that the movie was promoted properly." Star Trek fans, apparently, are not nearly so mystified by what occurred. On the website, one Trekkie posted this message in response to Berman's remarks: "The huge plot holes, the inconsistencies within the story, the inconsistencies within the Trek framework, the lack of historical continuity within the series, the lack of logic or common sense in the writing and MUCH more led to this film alienating not only all of the fans I know but all of the intelligent non-fans I know, too. Folks, people were **laughing** during the screening I attended, and not at the 'funny parts.'"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMDb visited TrekWeb. Can we have a moment of silent prayer?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should I be ready to wear black then?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im new, so naturally Ive missed the joke? anyone care to enlighten me?? [Confused]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMDb is respected. TrekWeb is not.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Asked what went wrong, Berman replied: "There's no way of telling what happened. ...
There's no way of telling, Rick? Either you do not own a computer, or you do not know what this thing called "the internet" is. Because if you did, it would be quite easy to find out "what happened" just by browsing a site such as this one.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If one really cared what a tiny fractional minority of the viewing audience thought, sure. He could also randomly quiz passerby, or ask John Edwards. Each method would about as accurately reflect the attitudes of the movie going public.

Hint: I didn't like Nemesis. I didn't like it for reasons that are drastically different than the reasons, say, Roger Ebert didn't like it.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add my personal drop in the ocean of opinion, the reason I disliked Nemesis was mainly due to the over use of action sequences, by about the 5th one I just stopped caring.
Seriously, shortly after watching Nemesis I purchased the TSFS on DVD and found myself liking the new film even less.
Aside from the brief attack on the Merchantman early on in ST:III there is hardly any action until nearly half way through the film and what action there is, is rather minimalist and yet it managed to hold my undivided attention the whole way through, unlike Nemesis which barely managed 40 minutes before I started glancing at my watch.
The same goes for most of the other TOS crew movies...to be fair though in the case of TMP that is actually a bad thing sincee there was no action to speak of at all.

Indeed I would have been much happier if Shinzon managed to suck Picard dry, destroy the Enterprise and turn the population of Earth into little piles of albino mouse droppings, at least that ending would have been original.

But to answer Berman's question, what REALLY went wrong was security. We had a readily available shooting script of the film ages before the film was released so all those who cared to look could see all the huge plot holes way ahead of time, not to mention it spoiled the "surprise ending".
Mind you even that was copped out of in a far less ambiguous way than the famous ...Remember... thread.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine much more than 1% of all the people who saw (or, as the case may be, didn't see) Nemesis had any idea there was even such a script available.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We may never know, but you're probably right all the same.
Nevertheless it seams to have been well known amoung the various trek internet communities that the script was out and about (at least thats the impression I got) and ill news travels fast.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Oh, I don't mean to discount the importance of internet word of mouth, I guess. I mean, someone is paying HARRY KNOWLES!!! bills, after all. Still.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The odd thing is, Im almost abandoning Trek for Stargate.... and SG1 is really, REALLY taking off
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure I've heard that line every year for the past billion years.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one movie that heard me and the whole cinema laughing about its inconsistencies was "Mission Impossible" (part one, I never had the intention top watch the sequel). Logic, continuity etc. may well play a role, but I don't think that Nemesis was even that bad in this respect. Maybe for the next movie they should hire Tom Cruise?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Mike Meyers...

-

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps