Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The light at the end of the tunnel? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The light at the end of the tunnel?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
The odd thing is, Im almost abandoning Trek for Stargate.... and SG1 is really, REALLY taking off

I've been into Stargate from season 2. THAT show has inherited the spirit of Star Trek. You can see it in the shows, the writing, the beautiful sets, the magnificent makeup, and not the least, when you meet the actors. I hadn't been to a more enjoyable convention in a LONG time when I went to a Don S. Davis, Teryl Rothery convention at the end of last year. So great.

People who haven't gotten into Stargate SG1 yet, should. It's great. You don't need to have seen the movie. You don't even have to start at the first episode. As I said, I came in at the end of Season 2. I was so enraptured I tracked down all of season 1 and 2. Love it to pieces, and I can't wait till it starts back on TV for this year.

It's quite popular in Australia. In 2001 I think it was the highest rating "foreign" i.e. not Neighbours or Home and Away - drama series.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also, like, 300% on topic here, absolutely.
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to get into SG1 but it seems a bit late considering they're now up to season 6 or 7. Can you even get DVD season box sets? They seem to only have specific episodes on DVD.

Back on topic, I saw Nemesis for the first time on Friday and I dare say that I quite enjoyed it. It's not the best movie ever (certainly not as good as First Contact) but it's no where near as bad as I was being led to believe. Although it's not saying much, I believe Nemesis compares favourably with Generations and Insurrection. I'd have to see it again to pass final judgement but I was happy with my first viewing.

Have you seen it yet, AndrewR?

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, sorry, didn't want to spoil anyone - so be warned, possible spoilers ahead...
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

When I was in the cinema to watch Nemesis, the audience gasped when Data was killed. They couldn't believe their eyes when the Enterprise crashed into Shinzon's ship. Their surprised reactions at these and all the other scenes that supposedly "everybody" knew because the script leaked out on the Internet show that NOT everybody knew.

I think we all should face facts: we Web-Trekkers are an extremely crazy minority compared to the average movie-goer - even if we always try to pretend otherwise.

Therefor I suggest the only real reason why Nemesis didn't do well at the Box office in the US was the idioticly bad timing. Starting the movie one week before LotR 2 hits the screens is the choice only a lunatic would make - and Paramount execs. Even if Nemesis had been a ultra-great-can't-get-any-better-top Trek film, it still wouldn't stand a chance against a film like LotR.
Sure, it might not be the best Trek film ever produced.
Sure, the script leaked out (as with all recent Trek films) and hardcore freaks - because, let's admit it, that's what we are - like us got to tear it apart in forums like this one.
Sure, the editing could have been a little better.

BUT, nevertheless it was an enjoyable film that would have done much better, had it not been set against such a dominating competition!

Just my two cents but I think the reasoning is very logical - surely Mr Spock would agree... [Wink]

[ February 10, 2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Austin Powers ]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful, Austin, Nemesis can still be considered to be in spoiler land.

I'm glad I avoided the leaked script or any other spoilers. Knowing what's going to happen can only ruin the experience of watching a movie for the first time. In fact, it will forever taint how you perceive the film.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the 'script' for it like last March when it first came out, but I really only skimmed it, however admittingly I felt guilty for it afterwards. Either way, when it came time to watch it I had forgotten most of it and I was indeed quite surprised when the "above mentioned spoilers" occurred in the movie.

I have been in love with the Romulans (platonically) and was really looking forward to the movie, however I agree it was missing a lot of potential content, there were even a couple boring points, hopefully the 'Great Bird of the Galaxy' will allow the powers that be to restore EVERYTHING to the original cut of the movie and call it the "The Fanboy Edition", that hopefully will soothe the stirring in the Trek Community regarding the current disappointing faults in the recent Trek heirarchy.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot two of those things mentioned? Even though one of them is the biggest thing since Simon last unzipped his trousers? Crazy.

Still, Jim Robinson was in it! Woo!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
You forgot two of those things mentioned? Even though one of them is the biggest thing since Simon last unzipped his trousers? Crazy.

Still, Jim Robinson was in it! Woo!

WHAT?!! [Confused]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're confused by the Simon reference, just ignore it. It's a running gag. The gag being that Simon has a astronomically large penis. Which he may or may not; I don't know.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Jim Robinson reference. . . Alan Dale played the crumbly Romulan Praetor in Star Trek: Nemesis; however, to Brits he will always be known as Jim Robinson in Neighbours, a long-running Australian soap. Since he was killed off in that, he's turned up in all sorts of shows (he played one of the 'super-soldiers' in The X-Files season 9) but will always be remembered as 'Jim from Neighbours!' 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG!! That was that guy from Neighbours!?!?!?!?! *CRAZY*

Who was that 'warlike' Romulan who stood behind that antagonist guy - he's been in Trek before and in B5 he was a General guy - I would have to say he was one of the THE worst actors in the entire run of B5.

I think he was the 2nd in charge of that classical music loving captain on Voyager's "Counterpoint"

Andrew

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
I'd like to get into SG1 but it seems a bit late considering they're now up to season 6 or 7. Can you even get DVD season box sets? They seem to only have specific episodes on DVD.

I think they WILL be bringing out seasonal box sets. All the episodes are available on video. Just badger your local video store till they get them in (I did that for season 2 B5) or you can get them cheap from K-Mart or Target saw them for 4.95 each! Your video store can also ship them in from other stores that have the videos. ALSO if you have foxtel... they are on season 2 - but on Saturday nights after DS9 are screening from season 1.

quote:

Back on topic, I saw Nemesis for the first time on Friday and I dare say that I quite enjoyed it. It's not the best movie ever (certainly not as good as First Contact) but it's no where near as bad as I was being led to believe. Although it's not saying much, I believe Nemesis compares favourably with Generations and Insurrection.

Which - isn't saying much.

quote:

I'd have to see it again to pass final judgement but I was happy with my first viewing.

Have you seen it yet, AndrewR?

Yes, saw it on Thursday when it came out. Tried to avoid a lot on the 'net. I'm still yet to post my feelings on it. It didn't sit well for me. I need to see it again - but It just wasn't what it could have been.

I don't want to say much yet - but to me - I feel cheated. That wasn't a Trek movie. So much was pulled from other movies. Yeah nice effects - SO!

The movie left me feeling empty and dissatisfied.

I heard it had been cut down a lot. Can I just say that the two movies that were chopped down because of test-audience recation have STUNK (relatively). Generations - the whole ending changed, chunks taken out all over the place. THE SAME happened with Generations - Ending changed chunks taken out all over the place. First Contact - remained relatively intact. GREAT movie.

Looks like I'm starting to run off and let my opinions of the movie poor out. I'll stop now and just say - OMG NO MORE JERRY GOLDSMITH. He just recycled themes from EVERYTHING else he's EVER done.

Sheesh.

So just to say. It could have been SO much better. I'll post later.

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Yeah, Nemesis could've been a shit load better, but I went in with low expectations and walked out pleasantly surprised. As I wrote previously though, I'm gonna have to see the movie again to develop a more objective viewpoint on it. Hopefully they're still showing it here next week.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Who was that 'warlike' Romulan who stood behind that antagonist guy - he's been in Trek before and in B5 he was a General guy - I would have to say he was one of the THE worst actors in the entire run of B5.

I think he was the 2nd in charge of that classical music loving captain on Voyager's 'Counterpoint'"

According to the IMDb, J. Patrick McCormack played a "Commander" in ST10. He's also played "Admiral Bennett" on DS9, "Prax" on VOY, and "General Lefcourt"/"Lefcoury" (apparently someone made a typo somewhere) on B5.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OMG he's not the best actor. 'specially on B5 where he got a lot of screen time.

Another not great actor on B5 - the guy incharge of bringing B4 online in Babylon Squared. "We've got to get out of here!!"

OMG.

What DS9 episode was "Admiral Bennett" in?

[Smile]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps