Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Duty record of Jean-Luc Picard. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Duty record of Jean-Luc Picard.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I highly doubt that every captain in Starfleet would know every other captain in Starfleet.
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
E. Cartman wrote:
Don't worry, most people here can find it on a map.

So let's just say that I narrowed their search criteria [Wink]

quote:
TSN wrote:
I was always under the impression that Picard's renown and high status were due to his diplomatic record, not necessarily his military/command record.

Well, it's not like the Stargazer was pocket-dreadnought, or something [Smile]

It had to be his diplomatic record. We know for sure that before Nemesis he made first contact with twenty seven civilisations.
Anyone would care to count those from TNG? [Big Grin]

quote:
Reverend wrote:
I forget the figure but it was more than 10 years for sure.

2364-2355=9 [Big Grin]

So, there is only one throwaway line that may suggest that Picard had another ship before Farpoint, and nothing else, right?

I'm wondering... in what way he was reffering to the Stargazer during the series? "My first ship" or maybe "My last ship" (meaning, that there was no other ship between Enterprise and Stargazer)?

[ February 12, 2003, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Kazeite ]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm wondering... in what way he was reffering to the Stargazer during the series? "My first ship" or maybe "My last ship" (meaning, that there was no other ship between Enterprise and Stargazer)?
In "Relics" he spoke to Scotty about the Stargazer. I'm not sure if he said "my first ship" or "my old ship" though.

Anyway, if I were in charge of choosing a captain for a Galaxy-class ship, someone who has not occupied the captain's chair for nine years would be my last choice.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In "Relics" he spoke to Scotty about the Stargazer. I'm not sure if he said "my first ship" or "my old ship" though.

PICARD
The first ship I ever served
aboard as Captain was called the
Stargazer... it was an overworked,
underpowered vessel that was
always on the verge of flying
apart at the seams.

quote:
Anyway, if I were in charge of choosing a captain for a Galaxy-class ship, someone who has not occupied the captain's chair for nine years would be my last choice.
And someone that was in command of 'overworked, underpowered vessel' would be my last choice, too. It's not like superior ships (Ambassador, for example) that carried other captains just al blew up before 2364 [Smile]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh Kazeite! An SG1 fan!! [Smile]

Well of course not every Captain is going to know every OTHER captain - but surely at least by name she should have heard of him.

Oh and no comment that Picard 'took command' when his Captain was killed until they got back to a Starbase or something - but wasn't the actual CAPTAIN until years later.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dukhat, what do you mean it was supposed to refer to the E-D?
This was stated very clearly in the first edition of the Chronology. And it also speculated that this incident took place right before the events in Farpoint, which would seem to indicate that Picard was in command of the Ent-D with a minimal command crew right before EAF premiered. Of course, all this is refuted in AGT.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two things:

a) Capt. Tryla Scott was the youngest woman to reach the grade of Captain.

b) In "First Duty", there is talk that the expelled cadet, if he reached the rank of Captain at age 25, would have beaten Picard for the record of youngest man to reach the grade of captain.

Why do I say this?

Picard assumed command of Stargazer at the rank of Captain. The dialogue in "First Duty" supports this -- namely, that Lacarno, if he became Captain at 25, would have beaten Picard, who became Captain at 26. We're not talking about position of commander of a ship -- we're talking about rank, and I use Capt. Scott as an example because they were also speaking of her rank.

There is no evidence to support the theory that Picard had strings pulled for him. Most of the admirals Picard knows are his contemporaries, and although by the time of TNG they outrank him, Picard's lack of promotion is due more to his desire not to be promoted. Thus, those who are admirals NOW were probably his junior officers when he became Captain. By the same reasoning, it isn't very likely that many of the officers who were Admirals when Picard assumed command of the Stargazer are still serving active-duty in Starfleet.

quote:
And someone that was in command of 'overworked, underpowered vessel' would be my last choice, too. It's not like superior ships (Ambassador, for example) that carried other captains just al blew up before 2364
Really? I don't see what the class of the ship matters, but rather the nature of the ship's mission. The Galaxy-class starship was designed for prolongued missions of exploration far from the borders of the Federation, and without immediate re-supply or backup available. Although this isn't how the Enterprise was used, this was what the class of starship was designed for. And what was Picard doing on the Stargazer? Traipsing far beyond the borders of the Federation, facing the same isolation he would on a Galaxy-Class starship. Sounds to me like he's the perfect contender for command of a Galaxy-Class starship!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if Garrett had heard of a Capt. Picard in her time, it didn't have to mean Jean-Luc Picard. There were probably other Capt. Picards during her time. She could have known a Jean-Paul Picard or a Richard Picard or some other Picard.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.There are plenty of other things that Picard could have been doing in between Stargazer and Enterprise; teaching at the Academy perhaps? If he was a distinguished Captain, and I think we have to assume he was, then it's possible he could have been assigned to pass on his knowledge.

Picard may not have been one of the fleets most gung ho officers, with a string of combat and difficult commands behind him but he's very intellegant and wasn't exactly likely to get the federation's nice new flagship blown up [Smile]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
and wasn't exactly likely to get the federation's nice new flagship blown up [Smile]

If only they'd known... [Big Grin]

(And then they gave him the next one!)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard most likely was not at the Academy seeing as Boothby hadn't seen him in quite a while, though there may be satellite branches where Picard could have been.

And it was really Riker and Troi had had the E-D blown up and crash landed. Riker could have separated the saucer as soon as a core breech was imminent (sp?) and leave those in the stardrive to abandon via escape pods and shuttles (there really should be a few that are ready in case of an emergency). And Troi didn't push the saucer to full impulse once the docking latches had been retracted.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
wasn't exactly likely to get the federation's nice new flagship blown up

Well, he didn't. That was Riker. Also, Wraith, he couldn't have been teaching at the Academy, for reasons cited elsewhere in this thread. He hadn't seen Boothby since he graduated.

And Dukhat, why didn't you respond to the rest of my post? The bit where I quote the rest of Picard's commentary about his first meeting with Yar. I don't care what they say in the Encyclopedia if it doesn't jibe with the aired dialogue. When he saw her in action, he knew he wanted her on his next command. Now, that likely means 1)he wasn't in command of the ship he was on at that time, and/or 2) he knew he was getting a new command in the not-too-distant future. But he darn sure wasn't in command of the E-D at that point.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Kazeite
Member # 970

Snay, nice post [Smile]

And this is a very sensible theory about Picards junior officers. It sounds plausible to me - after all, some of the admirals seem to be younger that Picard (his 'dear friend' Alynna, for example [Wink] )

But I must disagree about Picard being "the perfect contender for command of a Galaxy-Class starship".
Consider this: would you give command of the Enterprise CVN-65 to the commander of, say... one of the US frigates? (Trivia: Poland recently received two older frigates from the US Navy, although personally I have no idea what for [Roll Eyes] )
As one of my friends wrote in his fanfic, "One must learn to know how te read between werses. Any captain can be described as 'excellent commander' in his files, but if he's really good, it will be recognized and awarded."
What I'm trying to say is, the fact that Picard was in command of Stargazer for twenty years doesn't say good about his command abilities. He may be good, but he wasn't good enough to receive new, better ship. He seemed to be normal, average competent starship captain.

Offhand, I can think about at least two other captains that would be better candidates for the position of the captain of the Enterprise: Thomas Halloway and Edward Jellico.
the fact that one was doing exploration missions in the absolete cruiser doesn't mean he is the best choice for doing the same thing in the three times bigger luxury starship [Smile]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, on TV, Picard recieved command of the Enterprise. Therefore, Starfleet wanted Picard to command the Enterprise.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What I'm trying to say is, the fact that Picard was in command of Stargazer for twenty years doesn't say good about his command abilities. He may be good, but he wasn't good enough to receive new, better ship. He seemed to be normal, average competent starship captain.
Who's to say that he wasn't offered the Captain's chair on new and more advanced ships while he was in command of the Stargazer? We've seen Riker pass up several such opportunities in favour of staying put, so apparently Starfleet officers do have some say in their postings, at least in peace time.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps