Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » First Contacts in TNG, via Picard, et al. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: First Contacts in TNG, via Picard, et al.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? What did I do? I mean really think about it here for a minute...a thread regarding Picards first contacts seems more relavent then dicussing his first contacts in a thread about his duty record. If you dont like it dont read it, either way I dont think it is necessary to be slamming on me just for the pure satifaction of slamming on someone.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a Star Trek topic in the Trek forum. I for one got something out of the information presented here. Thanks for bringing it up, Futurama Guy!

Taking the time to post something negative seems an awful waste of time.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your responses to Lee is what you did. Don't do it again. If you take offront to something someone posts in response to you, don't return in like kind. Be polite about it, and/or take it elsewhere.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well that was completely one sided

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
[QB]
Angel One: The inhabitants of Angel One?

Nope. Angel One was planet which ceded from the Federation.

--->Really? Interesting.

quote:

Elementary, Dear Data: Sentiant Holograms

One sentient hologram would hardly qualify as 'civilisation' [Wink]

--->New Life though. Remember "new life and new civilisations"

quote:

The Dauphin: Both Anya and the girl.

I don't think so. "Greeting, we're new aliens and by the way, we would like you to ferry us to our planet."

--->Why not? Voyager did similar things. No one knew anything about the nature of the girl or her protector.

quote:

The Royale aliens (except for Colonel Richey?)

What aliens? Enterprise crew encountered only some kind of alien holodeck, not the actual aliens.

--->No they were aliens. And they tried to make Richey's life more comfortable by creating that Royale world.

quote:

Samaritan Snare: The Pakleds

I had the impression that the Pakleds were known to Federation. At least to the other civilisations whose equipment Pakleds had on board.

--->Nope. First contact with the Federation - plus one would assume they stole or tricked that tech from others like the Jarada and the Romulans - not two races that would be up to giving away tech.

quote:

Darmok - first comprehended conversation.

But not first contact.

--->But you need to be able to communicate with each other to make First Contact. Otherwise it falls into the category of some passing by alien ship but doesn't make contact.

The Silicon Entity I reckon First Contact was made in "The Silicon Avatar" however brief. Although didn't Lore communicate with it?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
quote:
The Last Outpost: The T'Kon guard?

Im not really sure that applies because it was the end of a civilization that they were aware of previously.

---> Aware of but had never 'met'.

quote:
Who Watches the Watchers: The Mintakins (by mistake)

uhh...maybe, even though they had been spying on them for quite some time...you could say the same thing about the Ba'ku then as well.

--->Why not?

quote:
Aquiel - the life-form that mimics what it touches
Im not sure that applies...they didnt really talk to it, they if at best "discovered" it.

--->Was it senient?

quote:
Attached - the Pritt
No, the Kes-pritt were attempting to apply for Federation membership.

--->Aaah, but they had only met with the Kes, never the xenophobic Pritt.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Attached - the Pritt
no, the Kes-pritt were attempting to apply for federation membership. [/qb][/QUOTE]Ahhh but they had only met with the Kes, never the xenophobic Pritt. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I thought was the impression they were the same race, and only different as far as political entities. The rest of your justifications are somewhat vague.

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Really. The idea that someone should without provocation flame somebody else for creating a thread delving into ANY certain aspect of Trek minutia, be it starships or duty records is absurd. Hey, look! A new guy! By assumption he must be a complete fucking retard incapable of thought and therefore not deserving any of the respects traditionally afforded to intelligent people by like intelligent people. Let's flame him without consideration, but it's okay because he's new and I'm experienced and I'm clever and witty and he's stupid.

I'm sorry, Topher. But if you're gonna yell at Futurama Guy, the least you could do is yell at Lee beforehand. Or simoultaenously. Or at all.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For one thing, I did not yell. THIS IS YELLING. *ahem*

I warned both Lee and Futurama Guy to stop behaving in such a manner as they did. Futurama Guy asked what he did, and I told him. Lee certainly went out of line insulting Futurama Guy as he did. But, Futurama Guy went out of line also by replying as he did.

--------------------

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Elementary, Dear Data: Sentiant Holograms
(...)
--->New Life though. Remember "new life and new civilisations"

But this is Federation hologram. When dr Zimmerman made EMH it was a FC situation, too?

quote:

The Dauphin: Both Anya and the girl.
(...)

--->Why not? Voyager did similar things. No one knew anything about the nature of the girl or her protector.

But this is TNG, not VOY [Smile]
Oh sure, they didn't know that those aliens were shapeshifters, but it doesn't prove that this was the FC with them.

quote:

The Royale aliens (except for Colonel Richey?)
(...)
--->No they were aliens. And they tried to make Richey's life more comfortable by creating that Royale world.

No they weren't aliens. They were holograms created by those aliens. No meeting with those creator-aliens took place.

quote:

Darmok - first comprehended conversation.
(...)
But you need to be able to communicate with each other to make First Contact. Otherwise it falls into the category of some passing by alien ship but doesn't make contact.

No, it falls under 'succesfull understanding' category. When FC occured they were able to communicate, but unable to understand each other.

quote:

The Silicon Entity I reckon First Contact was made in "The Silicon Avatar" however brief. Although didn't Lore communicate with it?

Yes, he did. Either way Enterprise crew did not made FC with Entity.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
5 The Big Goodbye: Jarada
No. Remember all the references to the "disasterous first contact" that happened a number of years before?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The idea that the person who starts a fight is, in fact, responsible for it is rather lost on the administration here. You just have to get used to it, and pray that whatever kids they have get along perfectly.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
For one thing, I did not yell. THIS IS YELLING. *ahem*

I warned both Lee and Futurama Guy to stop behaving in such a manner as they did. Futurama Guy asked what he did, and I told him. Lee certainly went out of line insulting Futurama Guy as he did. But, Futurama Guy went out of line also by replying as he did.

Thanks, mom for clearing that up for us. I am sure glad that I am free to make posts on here AS THIS SITE IS INTEDEND FOR, as it is called a ::ahem:: "Forum", in a relavent manner, as I again, did.

He had NO right to give me shit in a less than tactful manner as he did, and I defended myself in a much more polite way then I was attacked. I may be "new" to this site, but I know just as much as anyone else here does about trek, and at that, I have been watching it for a good 10-15 years, so aside from being a "newbie" to this site, no one here really has any right to think they know more or are better than me, and treat me as my posts or questions are stupid and irrelavent, because I have certainly spent plenty of time reading somr pretty....uh,yeah....bad posts from the past.

Anyone whoever isnt a moderator yet feels the need that should take the liberty to be "running this place" should be running it fairly by making people feel welcome to submit their ideas as what this whole site is about, otherwise I dont appreciate being lectured by some kid who was like 6 years old when I started watching Trek. My post was relavent, my responce to his attack was relavent, and I really see that I did nothing wrong whatsoever.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Did I ever say that Lee was in the right? No. Lee was quite wrong in what he did. But he has yet to post again in this thread, so I obviously can't respond to any outcries he makes. Flaming on Flare is for the Flameboard, not for General Trek. I do not condone the actions of Lee or Futurama Guy. So can we please get back to the discussion? If you have something else to say to me, Futurama Guy, send me a PM.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quit picking on the newbies, dude. It's hardly becoming. [Roll Eyes]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps