Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TV Land Awards (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TV Land Awards
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mr. Whipple, please don't squeeze the Charmin!!"

Wednesday night TVLand presented "Star Trek" with the "Pop Culture" Award at the first ever TVLand Award ceremony.

The "Pop Culture" Award was introduced and presented by Mira Sorvino, who is apparently a huge Trek fan (so there is still hope for you guys out there yet [Wink] ). The award itself was chosen by online votes at TVLand over an undisclosed period.

A montage of trek was presented featuring the classic series, as well as clips/photos from TAS, TNG, DS9 and VOY.

Star Trek was noted for position in pop culture iconology for breaking new ground with its multi-ethnic cast, tv's first interracial kiss, and the first time a tv star was forced to slap himself in the face repeatedly. It was also noted for introducing new words and phrases into the English language.

The award was accepted by William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols, Leonard Nimoy and James Doohan. William Shatner gave a touching acceptance speech, defined the meaning of Star Trek to our culture, thanked 'us', and noted honor to absent friends.

The saddest part of it all was watching James Doohan, dressed in traditional Scottish attire, shuffle up to the podium and slur out the words: "Thank you, very much". [Frown]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mira Sorvino, who is apparently a huge Trek fan
Probably one of the reasons Paul Sorvino did a guest spot on TNG.
quote:
The saddest part of it all was watching James Doohan, dressed in traditional Scottish attire, shuffle up to the podium and slur out the words: "Thank you, very much".

Hey, I'm just glad he was able to go over to the ceremony, get up on stage, and say something. [Smile]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It certainly was a bit emotional seeing a cornerstone figure in the Star Trek legacy such as Mr. Doohan in such an ailing condition. [Frown]
He was really one of my favorite actors of Star Trek.

In fact, "Relics" was the first episode that I became actively interested in TNG because I was always a fan of TOS but never could get into TNG; mostly because we never watch tv on saturday nights when it was in first-run production.

[ March 12, 2003, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TVLand awards? How many award shows are they up to now? Do people in Hollywood have anything to do besides giving awards to each other? [Wink]
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still... credits where credits are due.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing both Shatner and Doohan do conventions while I was in school in Ohio. Doohan was a decent speaker. He doesn't seem to care much for Shatner though, from what I recall.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i recall meeting Doohan at two separate conventions, one in 94 and one in 96 and having him remember me from the previous one. he's truly a great guy.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

You must have a face only a chief engineer can love [Wink]

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. That sounds like a lifetime award for Trek - just like the ones that are rushed to be given to elderly people before they die.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Except for the fact that the entire program was dedicated to all of the old TV shows one would normally see on TVLand...or in other words all shows from roughly the 1950s - 1980s are fair game....

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That explains why in my In Style Magazine that there's an animated poster of Kirk and McCoy next to her Oscar for Mighty Aprhodite.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I remember seeing both Shatner and Doohan do conventions while I was in school in Ohio. Doohan was a decent speaker. He doesn't seem to care much for Shatner though, from what I recall.

I just saw the repeat of the awards tonight. Despite the well-documented accounts of animosity between Doohan and Shatner, they still clasped hands when they got on stage.

Shatner shook Doohan's hand once more as they departed the stage; however, this moment was disrupted by a chyron-ad for Chevy Trucks. Perhaps with Doohan's recent health problems, the actors are trying to reconcile.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly was the deal between them, anyhow? I've never been clear on that.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shatner was always a prick ... most famously, his refusal to act in the STII scene where Kirk congratulates Sulu on his captaincy. Anyway, stuff like this over the tv and film series led to a big rift between many of the actors and Shatner (who usually treated Kelley and Nimoy well, but was a bit of a prick to everyone else).

That's the story, anyway.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"was a bit of a prick to everyone else"

Minor Tangent that stands out: there's the convention incident involving The Boy (yeah, I know... he's much a part of the family as anyone else), whom Shatner bluntly "overlooked" when giving his speech to Steward/Brooks/Mulgrew&Co. Oh, and the audience.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps