Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » It's Federation Day! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: It's Federation Day!
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once all is said and done, isn't the Federation simply that...a federation or, for a lack of better term, a confederation? (Both of which terms I will toss around as follows.)

The method to my madness goes:

Seeing as each planet has its own government and governmental types, each most likely of a different nature, they remain or retain their own identities (such as in cases of internal affairs, self defense) yet also come together as a whole in their function as the identity of the Federation, united for a common purpose. I'm not huge on politics, but isn't Australia organized in the fashion of a federation?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only in the sense that the US is- all your states have their own little ways of doing things, haven't they? Hasn't one got a unicameral legislature?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Once all is said and done, isn't the Federation simply that...a federation or, for a lack of better term, a confederation? (Both of which terms I will toss around as follows.)

What a nation calls itself and what it is can be two completely different things.

And all a "Federation" has to be is a group of things (in this case, planets).

We have never seen individual governments on UFP member worlds, and in fact we have seen the UFP running a planet directly, with no mention of any planetary authority.

This suggests to me that the planets do not have individual governments.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, technically the term 'democratic' means something like 'equality for the people'..."

Actually, it means more along the lines of "rule by the populace".

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Well, technically the term 'democratic' means something like 'equality for the people'..."

Actually, it means more along the lines of "rule by the populace".

Both definitions I used for reference for the sake of my arguement moreless said: "favoring social equality"

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do we even know that there are local governments? Earth certainly doesn't seem to have one.

Uh-uh. Ain't no way that an organization that big could have no local governments. Otherwise you'd have the Federation council deciding the speed limits in residential neighborhoods on Andor. They have better things to do.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just found mention of a tidbit that throws some confusion on the issue of ambassadors...

Kor was appointed as Ambassador to Vulcan in 2370.

Whoops!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I've just found mention of a tidbit that throws some confusion on the issue of ambassadors...

Kor was appointed as Ambassador to Vulcan in 2370.

Whoops!

Yeah and a Tholian Ambassador was on DS9 and Earth.
The Klingons may be allies but they're still a foreign power, I'm sure they have Embassies on most of the major Federation planets.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, how about this?

Most nations maintain a single main embassy in a foreign nation's capital, but they also set up consulates in various other important cities around the country. I'm not familiar enough with international diplomacy... do the people in charge of consulates also get the title of Ambassador?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
How do we even know that there are local governments? Earth certainly doesn't seem to have one.

Uh-uh. Ain't no way that an organization that big could have no local governments. Otherwise you'd have the Federation council deciding the speed limits in residential neighborhoods on Andor. They have better things to do.

I meant local government in the sense of a government that actually has real power. I suspect Earth has something more like an English County Council than an American State Legislature and Governor.

And the people who are in charge of Consulates are called Consuls, not Ambassadors.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. To be literally accurate, "democratic" means "ruled by warrior councils".

"Demos" was the council of free men in yer typical enlightened Greek city-state. And to be a free man was to be a warrior.

A fitting description of what we see of the Federation, perhaps. Then again, perhaps Kor was referring to Bajorans when he spoke of democratic rabble?

Timo Saloniemi

Phoenix
Member # 966

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Hmm. To be literally accurate, "democratic" means "ruled by warrior councils".

"Demos" was the council of free men in yer typical enlightened Greek city-state. And to be a free man was to be a warrior.

Not quite. A citizen who was disabled, and who therefore couldn't fight, was still a citizen, and still had political rights.

"democracy" literally means "rule by the demos", and "demos" means either "the common people" or "all citizens" depending on the context.

It is true that citizens in Ancient Greece were always men, but that fact is not conveyed by the meaning of "demos".

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:

The method to my madness goes:

Seeing as each planet has its own government and governmental types, each most likely of a different nature, they remain or retain their own identities (such as in cases of internal affairs, self defense) yet also come together as a whole in their function as the identity of the Federation, united for a common purpose. I'm not huge on politics, but isn't Australia organized in the fashion of a federation?

I'm not big on the politics either - but yes Australia is a Federation - well Federation of the states of Australia or the colonies occured on Jan 1, 1901. We became one country instead of a group of colonial states.

We are are officially the Commonwealth of Australia.

Each state has their own state-level governement and there is of course a Federal Government.

Our system of government borrowed parts from Britain and the US.

My brother'd know all this stuff.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not think there is any way that there could be no local government on planets; sure, their powers would be restricted by Federation laws and required standards but to try the central government of 150+ planets is simply too unwieldly.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. Like Bajor would still keep their own government etc. They would as a planet become part of the greater whole - contributing troops etc.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps