Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Homosexuality in Star Trek - where is it? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Homosexuality in Star Trek - where is it?
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I might as well complain about the poor representation John Lithgow made of British people in Cliffhanger. . . 8)

Yes it/he was simply awful but I can't remember the last time kids in Colorado tied anyone to their bumper and dragged them to death for being of the Brittish orientation.
Maybe in Northern Ireland?
There isn't a Colorado in Northern Ireland. And the collection of complete fuck wits known as the IRA are far more brutal than that.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the direction this thread has gone - well, I like the discussion of gay rights - and I'm cheered to see that some people do indeed see that shows like ST need to champion the status and rights of minorities - or progress is never made. I am disappointed to see that there is still some bigotry in the ST community... but,

Niven's law (Dave's interpretation): No cause is so pure that you won't find an ass following it.

Back to the original question: Are there gay humans in the 24th century?

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course there are. If there are humans, there are gay humans. I don't see any reason whatsoever why it should be any different 200, 400 or 1000 years from now. Unless one sees being gay as something abnormal, or something that 'will go out of fashion'. Which doesn't sit right with me at all.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being GAY...going OUT...of FASHION.

OUT...of FASHION.

You see.

Comedy ore. You must be mined until collapse & then refined & sold through brokers in Caracas.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's the thing.

Black crewmember.

Visibly: Black.
Audibly: Nothing, because we see he is black. End of story.

Gay crewmember.
Visibly: Normal.
Audibly: "I am tho thexthy in thethe panths."

(Haha: Stereotype.)

So, if we didn't devote dialogue and, more importantly, narrative story fun time to get us to notice multiculturalism, why should we do it for The Gay?

I mean, unless you want to have them sticking their doodles in a bum on the bridge, I don't at all see how the similarities are similar in any fashion at all whatsoever.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. Who can say what it is to be gay? Chances are they'd just fuck it up, you'd get Will and Grace in Space. Which is actually quite a catchy title. . .

So ultimately it comes down to sex, and - I'm sure this will bring a chorus of dissenting voices, but here goes - Star Trek isn't about sex. Or love. How can it be? The constraints of a weekly hour-long family-oriented show make it impossible. Homosexuality in Star Trek? There's barely any heterosexuality! In all the 500+ hours of episodic Trek, how many brief relationships (of which more in a second) have there been? Not many, really. And how many lasting relationships? Even fewer? And of those, how many actually seemed to work and were handled well? About one - Sisko & Kassidy Yates.

Going back to the brief relationships: usually they've been of the format "cast member X meets guest star Y, but ultimately circumstance Z means they cannot continue the relationship." The days of TNG, when it was like they were taking it in turns to fall in love each week, are mercifully over - mostly. And - to me at least - these couplings devalued the whole thing. I don't want to come over as a 'shipper, but the way that, for example, Picard & Nella Darren clicked, then separated for the most simplistic of reasons, just pissed me off.

Now, given all that, how could they make a homosexual character work?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it would have to be the same thing, except, instead of "Picard and Neela Darren", it would be "Picard and Nelson Darren".
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
A) Honor the sabbath day and keep it holy. Depends on how you define sabbath.

Sabbath was Ozzy on vocals. No "Ronnie James Dio" bullshit.

quote:

B) The ten commandments were given to the jews, not Christians. Those of us who've actually read the New Testament do not recognize them as legally binding. Because we don't believe in legalism, you see.

I agree with that thinking completely!
I'm a DS9 fan and I try to ignore TOS, TAS and anything called "Phase II" whenever possible.
I mean, why bother with the original version?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Of course there are. If there are humans, there are gay humans. I don't see any reason whatsoever why it should be any different 200, 400 or 1000 years from now. Unless one sees being gay as something abnormal, or something that 'will go out of fashion'. Which doesn't sit right with me at all.

Get to the bottom line. You believe that being gay has a genetic cause. It is not influenced by culture or by individual choice.

However, this assumption carries with it certain concessions. It would be a mutation, probably a rather simple mutation that would seem to reduce fitness. Noting that, if one viewed it as a medical condition, it could be prevented or corrected.

This assumption is actually interesting ...if it is genetic, than one would expect a mutation that so drastically reduces fitness to be bred out of the gene pool via natural selection relatively quickly. The only thing that might be keeping the gay population around, is the fact that many gays are pressured into leading straight lives..passing on their genes, having gay children. In this case, modern political correctness, leading gay people to live their lives openly might actually cause the extinction of the gay population.
i.e. In the past, two gay individuals are pressured into living straight lives, have children, pass on their genes. Modern era, gay couple live together with no biological children, no gene passing.

PS: Obviously it wouldn't be simple dominant/recessive inheritance, one would hope someone would have noticed that by now. But you get the general idea.

Whether this is right or wrong, is beyond the scope of science, but I wouldn't blindly assume that being gay will automatically be around for however long humans are around.

In a way, its an unenviable catch-22.
Assume its due to genetics: it can be cured.
Assume its due to a choice: it can be changed.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I might as well complain about the poor representation John Lithgow made of British people in Cliffhanger. . . 8)

Yes it/he was simply awful but I can't remember the last time kids in Colorado tied anyone to their bumper and dragged them to death for being of the Brittish orientation.
There isn't a Colorado in Northern Ireland. And the collection of complete fuck wits known as the IRA are far more brutal than that.
Well I thought the comment was self-explanitory enough to omit "Maybe not Colorado but..."

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well I thought the comment was self-explanitory enough to omit "Maybe not Colorado but..."
Nestled Chocolate Quoted Cookies.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't wait until the genetic cure for whiteness is discovered!
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think tanning salons are well on their way to covering that base...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hiccup

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn honkeys.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps