Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Gay people in the 24th century (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Gay people in the 24th century
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever noticed that with all the racial and cultural toleration that Star Trek showed, there has not once been any direct mentioned of homosexuality? There has been some hints on this subject, such as the kiss on Deep Space Nine between Jadzia Dax and her ex-wife from a previous host Lenara Khan and Dr. Chrusher's fling with a Trill who became a woman in TNG's "The Host." But other from those two, not much is shown. I still wonder about this from time to time, especially when I see certain characters in Star Trek, none of which I will mention since some of the forum members uses their names here.

------------------
"It's not right, but it's okay. I'm gonna make it anyway. Pack your bags, up and leave. Don't you dare come running back to me.

It's not right, but it's okay. I'm gonna make it anyway. Close the door behind, leave your key. I'd rather be alone than unhappy."

-Whitney Houston

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh-oh. . .
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Bilby asked O'Brien whether or not he did like women in "Honour Among Thieves". But that hardly cuts it, I suppose.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited August 25, 1999).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see if we can't address this quickly and smoothly.

I would say that there are two reasons for a lack of gay characters on Trek. The first being the rather cynical but sadly true observation that society does not appear ready to accept an openly gay character in any meaningful role. Support on a sitcom, sure. Lead on a sitcom? No way. Etc. That isn't much of a reason, of course. But it's the one in the minds of the executives, I'd imagine.

The second reason is a bit more interesting. What exactly qualifies a character as gay? Ultimately, attraction to the same sex. But how often does that come up? In most Trek series, we only get one character who really does most of the romancing. For the rest, sexuality isn't really a defining characteristic of their lives. At least, not onscreen. The problem is that you can't please everyone. I'm afraid that a gay character would immediately become nothing more than the "gay character" TM. A gay person in the idealistic Federation is not going to face the discrimination and hatred present today.

I think Star Trek is best when it leads from example. Sisko, for instance, isn't a black captain. He's simply a captain, like any other. That's the best way to treat a gay character, in my opinion.

------------------
"I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile. I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well."
--
Tool

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a movement by some of the Gay groups to "Out" one of the trek characters, but it was never done. I'm afraid Sol it right, it would have drawn a lot of heat.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the obvious choice, that Michael was reluctant to name, is Garak. There was a massive move to have him be gay. . . What were they hoping for? Big Gay Elim's Big Gay Tailor Shop?

------------------
Phase 1: Steal Underpants
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one never really saw these "subliminal signals Andy Robinson added to Garak" which made him gay...

Of course, there is the possibility that homosexuality is far less prevalent, period, in the 24th century. I may be treading on flameboard territory here, but what if the Eugenics Wars involved the standard "kill the Jews, Gays and Disabled" practices? What if all the gay pride of today evaporated if future medicine allowed for the extermination of of homosexuality genes? The above is pure speculation of course, and flies in the face of what we know so far, but it could be an explanation of sorts, albeit a rather ugly one.

------------------
"Well, I guess we're an Ovaltine family."
"MORE OVALTINE PLEASE!"
-American Radio Ads... *gag*... one more reason I'm glad to be above the 49th.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since homosexuals tend to not have too many offspring, I can't imagine that any such genes would last long naturally anyway.

Anyway, homosexuality seems to be common only in overpopulated societies, and we've never seen overpopulation in Trek. Well, except for "The Mark of Gideon" (TOS), but that had a poor premise (if they can build a replica of the Enterprise, couldn't they fly it to another star system?).

BTW, Brenna Odell asked Riker, "Do you not like girls?" in "Up the Long Ladder" (TNG). She obviously asked the wrong person, though...

------------------
Frank's Supernifty Page

PPG Skittles
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the book Pathways, written by Jeri Taylor, there were a few times where homosexuality was mentioned. In one chapter about Harry Kim's life, one of his friends, George, is gay and admits it to Harry, because he assumed he was gay because he didn't date women. And then, in another chapter, the away team (after being captured by an alien race and imprisoned with many other prisoners in a camp) had to split up (part of the big plan to escape).
quote:
"Everyone was willing to accept Chakotay's decision on that matter, although Brad Harrison and his partner, Noah Mannick, asked to stay together, a request Chakotay was happy to accommodate. They had only recently become a couple and were still in the early flush of romantic intensity."

This makes it clear that gays are accepted in the 24th century, and in Starfleet, just the producers don't think that the 20th century can handle it yet.

There was also one episode of TNG ("The Outcast") where everyone in the J'naii species was non-sexual and it was considered wrong (as homosexuality is considered wrong by some on Earth in the 20th century) to consider oneself to belong to a gender. If one was found to belong to a gender, then others would attempt to 'fix' them. Pilot Soren considered herself to be female, and she and Riker had a sexual relationship. At the end of the episode, she agreed to be 'fixed'. The J'naii species that the Enterprise encountered, clearly mirrors 20th century Earth.

------------------
Do you eat your red Prozac pills last?

[This message has been edited by PPG Skittles (edited August 26, 1999).]

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ezri Dax was a lesbian in the mirror-universe of "Emperor's new cloak". And so was Rom's wife, except they weren't married in the mirror universe.

------------------
-Smooth as an androids butt, eh Data?
-Yes, and remarkably similar in appearance!

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think all the women in the mirror universe were lesbians.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Kosh, you're quite wrong. The Intendant got around with anyone... male or female.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well while we're on the mirror universe subject. Some people prollay wont like this but tough...

I think the Regent (mirror Worf) was either homo or bisexual, but they never really played it... see "Shattered Mirror" and when Garak is trying to plead innocence to the Regent - he says something like, I'm very handy to have around... and Worf looks at mirror Garak and just goes in a gruff voice "your not my type" that was hilarious!

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that it has been mentioned it is interesting how homosexuality is accepted in the parallel universe, while it wouldn't be in "our" universe. It seems to be the same as with the main and supporting sitcom characters.

------------------
"The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank!" (Scotty, TOS: "A Taste of Armageddon")
Ex Astris Scientia

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garak???

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps