Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Gay people in the 24th century (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Gay people in the 24th century
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CTTOI, the first Karemma we saw in "The Search I", who wanted tulaberry-wine, was a little gay. That actor also played gay secretary in "Murder One".
"must... keep.. thread alive..cough cough"

------------------
-Smooth as an androids butt, eh Data?
-Yes, and remarkably similar in appearance!

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually if you take combine all of the Canon statments, none of the show is Canon and all of it is Canon, see. What's it doesn't make sense, well it's not supposed to it Star Trek don't you know .

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, they've said that TOS isn't canon? Okaayyyy.

The thing is, if they did show a gay couple holding hands, then the scene would immedietly shift from 'Oh no, the Enterprise is about to be destroyed' to 'LOOK! THEY'RE GAY! Aren't we being really cool and hip?'

Besides, how often do you see crewmembers holding each other in a crisis anyway (don't start with Kirk and Rand, okay?)
It's not like Voyager is about to be shot down, so she hugs Chakotay.
Even on DS9, when the Defiant was under attack, did Worf run across the bridge and hug Jadzia?

------------------
"Ray...the next time someone asks you if you're a god you say 'Yes!'"
-Winston Zeddmore

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arguing what is (or isn't) canon is like arguing religion. We all have our own faith.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. By canon we mean, 'accepted by all.' That is constantly changing, of course, and there are some things that aren't agreed on at all - witness the SWDAO page. But for now, you're not going to find any major support for a view that Jeri Taylor's novels are canon. After all, any arguments that her position makes anything she says near-canon may then be applied equally successfully to Shatner's books, and believe me - you don't wanna go there.

For now, canon means books and shows, excepting the Animated Series and most of Star Trek V. Encyclopaedia is canon except where contradicted onscreen, and there you'll likely find that the info (like ship classes and registries) was usually made up on the spot by Okuda without proper research. Usually, anything Okuda or Sternbach say can be taken as canon (they're not often wrong) but not Stipes. . .

------------------
Phase 1: Steal Underpants
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit!

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee's definition of canon fits it best.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...not quite. "Canon" would only be what writers of future episodes would feel obligated to be consistent with, which, again, is the shows and movies. They're not likely to hear about a random comment by Okuda unless Okuda were to explicitly tell them about it.

BTW, most of the registries and classes in the encyclopedia come from various Okudagrams and such; they weren't all made up. Some apparently were, though.

The notion that Star Trek V isn't canon is absurd, because if you start cutting out what you don't like, people could arbitrarily decide that other stuff wouldn't be canon, even though it would.

------------------
Frank's Home Page, which you've never seen before and want to visit right now

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which they have been doing for some time. Read over some of the interviews in the great link. More then one makes the staement "I don't really care what happened in the past, as long as it works for our episode". As much as I like Ron Moore, he is (was) in this camp.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, ya can't get everybody to agree Some of what we see in episodes and movies is absolute bull. The turboshaft scene in ST:V comes to mind.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I find myself agreeing with Frank, but there are certain things that are obviously flase, like the Enterprise getting to the galactic core so quickly without any help and the height of the Enterprise-A in ST5.

But other than that, I like Frank's point. Okuda's comments could be considered official, however.

Kosh, I'm not sure if that could be taking what was said a little too far. I have a lot of respect for Ronald D. Moore and I somehow find it unlikely that he'd be among the first to say something like that, but I could, unfortunately, be wrong...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's lots of ways to rationalise the problems in STV. We could say that the turboshaft was taken from an old starbase in order to finish the Ent-A on time. We could also say that the galactic core, as defined here, is really large, and they were only at the edge. Or there's a wormhole leading there.

------------------
Frank's Home Page, which you've never seen before and want to visit right now

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RDM against continuity? Yeah, and Pol Pot was the founder of the Red Cross.

The only Trek writer who's ever made comments like that was Braga, and frankly I think his entire "Cochrane should be Picard's love interest" thing has been taken out of context and warped a bit into an urban legend of sorts which is propagated by the rather large "Braga is the Anti-Christ" faction. The slightly smaller "Ira Behr is the Anti-Christ" faction has also been known to blow his "anti-franchise" comments out of proportion.

------------------
"Well, I guess we're an Ovaltine family."
"MORE OVALTINE PLEASE!"
-American Radio Ads... *gag*... one more reason I'm glad to be above the 49th.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went over the the Great Link and looked around. I know it was some time ago, but I couldn't find anything old enough, that had RDM name on it. I was sure that I had seen that there, but perhaps it was Braga.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

*feels relieved*

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps