Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Canon neutral non-UFP race suggestion? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Canon neutral non-UFP race suggestion?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a museum article I'm writing, I need a suggestion for a canon non-UFP race that could mediate negotiations between the UFP and the Klingons in 2267. Races that are Fed members in the 2370s but might not be a century earlier would be OK (Like the Trill, maybe?)

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We know there were good relations with the Trill in those days, and they have some history with Klingons, so that might work.

Or you could involve one of the non-corporeal races like the Metrons or the Organians. They always stuck their noses in other people's business in TOS.

Or you could use one of the more obscure DS9/TNG races: Gallamites (they have transparent skulls!), Grazerites (pacifist herbivores, Jaresh Inyo) or even Betazoids.

There are also the neutral TOS era aliens, like the Edoans (from TAS) or perhaps one of the Rigelian species.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Riva's people from TNG "Loud as a Whisper"? The deaf Ambassador that spoke through a chorus. Presumably they would be called Ramatans because their planet is Ramatas III. They weren't Federation members but he was called on as a Ambassador for the Federation.

I agree that the Trills would be a good choice also. Both Ambassador Odan and Curzan Dax were Trill Ambassadors to the UFP before Trill joined the Federation (Do we have canon data saying that Trill joined? I would assume they did but I don't remember anything being mentioned). Although Odan represents some problems because of the fact that he's different from the other Trills shown later.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it's been stated that Trill is a Federation planet. Jadzia attended the Academy, which doesn't in and of itself mean that Trill is a Federation world, but we've also seen other Trill in Starfleet and I think Argen (SP?) talked about going to the Acandemy as if it would take no special work.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the Barolians? According to "Star Charts," they're located along the UFP/Klingon border, and might be a convenient party...

Of course, for the 23rd-century Klingons, "neutral" just might mean "friendless target." [Big Grin] (Meaning that the Klingons might've been aiming to conquer the Barolians along with the surrounding Federation territory.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the Trill are prime candidates for this role. The fact that they will later participate in the Khitomer (sp?) summit sets a strong precedent.

P.S. I really like this new Quick Reply box! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. The Trill may be it.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no reason to think that the Trill (DS9 Trill, that is) are recent UFP members. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the Trill membership came during the original series era, or even earlier. (Unless I'm missing some subtle clue somewhere, but I don't think I am.)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the main problem is that when Odan showed up, the general reaction was "Trill? What's that? Oh, I think I read about them once.".
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duly noted. But, really, Odan scarcely counts as a Trill as we've come to know them. He shares the name, is all. Perhaps Odan's species communicates through something like musical scales, and rather than trying to reproduce the name of the species they just sort of gave a generic description of the sound. YES. PLAUSIBLE.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the Corvallens? The ones that got blown up in Romulan space in "Face of the Enemy"?

one would assume that there was a tholian observer at the khitomer conferences.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Dax symbiont, we know that Trills visited both Earth in the 2240s and Vulcan even before that. Emony Dax was even judging a gymnastics competition when she met a young McCoy. So they weren't just visiting, but active members of society. That could mean Trill was already a member in the early 23rd century.
Or the Trill just liked to mingle with other species to explore new ideas and have new experiences, without ever really explaining their origins.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were the Medusans members of the Federation?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

According to the Encyclopedia, Riva, of Ramatis, negotiated several treaties between the Federation and the Klingons, but they also say he is a Federation negotiator. If Ramatis is a member of the Federation, how can the ruling family be considered impartial in Fed-klingon negotiations?

--------------------

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume you're addressing me since I was the only one to mention Riva. He was a Federation Ambassador because of his legendary reputation (though for some reason no one aboard Enterprise knew he was deaf - nice research there by the crew), but the Ramatans were not Federation members in the episode unless I'm mistaken.

I was thinking of another possibility, Krios. Maybe they were picked as a nuetral border planet between the Federation and Klingons. Later, the Klingons conquered them. There has been two mentions of Kriosians in TNG, but no proof whether their related or not.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps