Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Worf (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Worf
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, I know the books aren't canon. Everyone knows. I meant that I don't know what Worf is doing in the books.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh.
uh.... I think he's in the Left Hand of Destiny books but I havent picked those up.

The Lost Era book centering on the Brektra Nebula conflict and the Khitomer massacre is really worth checking out though: it involves General Worf (from STVI) and then Mogh.
The Romulans actualy had a reason for killing everyone back then other than the old Z"we hate klingons" line.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have anything emotionally invested in the idea of Worf being Federation ambassador to the Klingons. It's obviously meant to be a placeholder, as it were, since Michael Dorn's character was more than likely going to end up back on the Enterprise come the next TNG film. I have mixed feelings about whether his being ambassador on his home world makes good sense for his character development or not - is he, in a sense, finally going home, or has he really moved on, and has already copme to terms with his curious human/Klingon heritage? - especially since it's unlikely to ever be explored further in any filmed Trek.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to go with "he's moved on".
Having him return to the Enterprise (and not as XO) is a big step backward after all the command training and experience they developed into the character on DS9.
One on the best parts of Nemesis (for me) was Worf mentioning to Riker that "the Romulans fought with honor". That's a huge development from TNG's season two where he wouldnt save that Romulan via transfusion.
I liked that.

If they'd only shot a scene with him accepting the XO position after data died, I'd be happy with him back on Enterprise.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point of the end of DS9 seemed to be that everyone was moving on... finding the place they were really supposed to be. Worf was finally going home but without having to give up the human side of his heritage completely. Nemesis' cut line about not being suited for it sort of flushes that, in my opinion.

FC's tie-in to DS9 was a great way to bring him back into the movie, I think. In fact, I always thought that FC should've started out with Worf and the Defiant and followed them into the battle only to be rescued by the new Enterprise in a wham bam kick ass glory shot showing us just what this new ship can do.

Insurrection's tie in was quite a bit worse, but the fact that there seems to have been noone to do his job while he was gone is somewhat silly. Daniels doesn't really seem to have impressed Picard all that much.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also thought Worf would be coming on as Picard's XO. My opinion is Picard would want someone he trusted and had the rank and experience necessary for the position. Plus in the chance they actually did do another Trek movie we wouldn't need some lame reason for him being in it.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah! In "Parallels" he actually was XO! [Smile]

OK, so we know that books aren't canon unless made canon (like Jeri Taylor books). I wonder if movie novelization count? For example, according to Nemesis novelization, Worf indeed choose to return to Starfleet (and Wesley is going to serve under Riker on Titan [Big Grin] )

Anyway, I don't see much problem in this case: Worf obviously did return to Starfleet. This cut scene merely tells us why.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the same snafu that would prevent him ever getting his own command would count against him being made XO of one of the most powerful and prestigious ships in the fleet. Perhaps the fact that such a position, perfect for training up-and-coming captains, had been unavailable for 15 years meant that while Starfleet would have been happy to see Data confirmed as first officer, they would have drawn the line at Picard immediately choosing someone else from his own crew.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hmmmm.....I had'nt thought of Starfleet wanting to shake up Picard's little clique of officers.
Of course, if their policy was to spread around the fleet's best and brightest, they's have broken up Kirk's crew too.
At least Sulu esacped.

As to Worf's SNAFU costing him any shot of a commision, I figure he would be considered if Sisko had thought that far ahead and made a notation in his record.
And starfleet lost a LOT of experienced officers in the war.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Of course, if their policy was to spread around the fleet's best and brightest, they's have broken up Kirk's crew too.
At least Sulu esacped.

Technically, Chekov escaped too, being reassigned to Reliant.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By unfortunately Kirk found out and decided to destroy Reliant, forcing Chekov to return [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scotty was transferred as well. But then, that was only when they thought Enterprise would be decomissioned.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Spock and McCoy both retired from the fleet. Heck, even Kirk wasn't supposed to have commanded the Enterprise ever again before TMP.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe the same snafu that would prevent him ever getting his own command would count against him being made XO of one of the most powerful and prestigious ships in the fleet.
Y'know, I bought the Season VI DVD set when it came out, and I rewatched that episode for the first time since it aired ... but it should be noted that when Sisko is explaining the reprimand to Worf, he doesn't say that it will absolutely preclude him from his own command - he simply notes that it will be very difficult for Worf to get his own command. I.E., he needs to earn back Starfleet's trust that he will put the good of the mission over his own personal good.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
Member # 393

Absolutely. It was hardly an ideal situation. No-one would let their wife die in favour of saving some Cardassian spy or whatever he was. They weren't even meant to be there in the first place.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps