Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Of the 5 Trek TV shows,what are your favorite two and why ? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Of the 5 Trek TV shows,what are your favorite two and why ?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did John Cleese ever sound like that?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You sound like John Cleese."

Or Michael Palin, maybe?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is decidedly not what I was going for, no.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think of a John Cleese in the Parrot Sketch. Or the Brontosaur Theory.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounded like Mojo Jojo to me.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

MrNeutron = ONE MILLION

Sea Tyger
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Sea Tyger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek will always be my favorite, partially because that's what I grew up on, but mostly because it captured my imagination. I spent many summers glued to the TV every weekday afternoon, watching Trek reruns. I never tired of it. I focused on math and science because of my fascination with the show.

I saw ST II-VI in first run, and have watched them on VHS and DVD so many times I've lost count. The original crew can never be replaced.

Of course, I'm also a huge fan of Star Trek: Enterprise, because I feel it captures the almost-childlike excitement of space. Sure, it's had it's ups and downs (like every single series), but the show is really coming into it's own and I'm having a blast with every episode. I like it, and I look forward to seeing it every week.

Of the rest, I rate DS9 higher than the others, most because TNG became too "high minded" and "superior." I got tired of the overly-PC feel to the show, although TNG produced some fantastic episodes. Voyager, as someone else said, had a lot of potential but never really used it, and I eventually stopped watching the show regularly.

--------------------
Davy Jones
your friendly, neighborhood, Navy vet

The United States Navy
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll preface this by saying that each and every one of the SIX series and the films have had their moments, and none of them are entirely without merit. I love Star Trek, period.

In response to the direct question asked by the poster, I say that my favorite was DS9 because of the interesting character development and plot arcs and the original premise, and ENT is my second favorite for similar reasons. The fact that both of them have made great strides in binging a more "edgy" feel to Trek probably contributes as well.

TOS was a great and groundbreaking show, and comes in a close third. Though in many respects it is quite dated, IMHO it has held up commendably and is very much enjoyed by me.

The Animated Adventures, which I hope were not mentioned by the poster merely because he is of the opinion that they are part of the same series as TOS, are equal to their live-action predecessors on pretty much all levels. Some were forgettable, but overall they were very enjoyable.

I always found TNG to be somewhat tepid, but I admittedly haven't seen all of it, and what I have seen I haven't seen for a while. (Say that five times fast. [Wink] )

As for VGR, I didn't watch the first couple of seasons because at the time they aired I was in a non-Trek phase. So my comments can only be based on the latter ones, which I'm sure had their moments, though I can't say I remember them... [Razz]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Animated Adventures, which I hope were not mentioned by the poster merely because he is of the opinion that they are part of the same series as TOS..."

Hopefully, he is a she, with a name like "Cristina".

And it's hard to judge her motives, considering that the full extent of her activity at Flare has been to make a single post surveying posters' tastes in science fiction, to disappear for four months, and then to make another single post making a similar survey restricted to Trek.

Cartman
Member # 256

"And it's hard to judge her motives..."

The same as his/her/its motives, I'd say.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
The Animated Adventures, which I hope were not mentioned by the poster merely because he is of the opinion that they are part of the same series as TOS, are equal to their live-action predecessors on pretty much all levels.

Constantly repeating that statement will not make it any more true.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quiet, you.

Frigging stand-up comedian.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Oooh, the nostalga.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

You mean nostalgia, Sir, surely.

--------------------

CM
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I didn't reply myself, but if I'm going to get flamed for not, I will. For me the best Trek series is the original series, as it was the birth of a tyoe of fandom never seen before and that still lives on, but not as much. The original show may look very dated now and has been overshadowed by the other Trek spin-offs, but it still has a �magic� that the clones haven't been able to copy.

The next two best ones are Next Gen and DS9. They both depict a more realistic view of what our future in space could be and include the relationship dynamics, as well as including family in other locations from Earth, to other ships. They also explored the possibility of interracial and interspecies relationships.

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps