Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Babylon 5's JMS doing Star Trek? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Babylon 5's JMS doing Star Trek?
MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
As to the ASCII tax thing, no, but I don't see why you do it. It's not that I hate you and want you to die, but...why? We know it's you posting. Do you announce your name constantly when talking to people in real life?

And I'm still confused about being called "kid".

You know, until you pointed it out, I never even noticed that no one else did it. I never consciously made a decision to sign posts; it seemed natural, and not doing it seems unnatural, like leaving a letter unsigned.

I know, blah blah upper corner blah blah. No one ever said custom was practical.

Must be a relic of learning to read and write back in the days of books and typewriters. Like taking the extra half-second to spell a word correctly, or using punctuation. I actively participate in one other forum besides this one, in which the average age of the participants is much higher--most of them are in their 30s or 40s--and signing posts is pretty common there.

And I said 'kid" because judging by your picture I've got at least a decade on you. [Big Grin] And because it was a pretty damn silly thing to complain about.

Marian

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spelling? Punctuation? On the internet? No way...

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
And I'm still confused about being called "kid".
And I said 'kid" because judging by your picture I've got at least a decade on you. [Big Grin] And because it was a pretty damn silly thing to complain about.

Marian

From now on refer to Liam as "you wee tot." [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that Richard Dean Anderson has an EP position on SG-1, he might also have one on Atlantis. I don't know if it's a creative role or not though [if I remember lowdown though he does have some creative input]--- Just a personal observation, I think the reason that SG-1 is so popular isn't because it's written like a sci-fi show. I think it's popular because it's writers look at it like a military show, then place them in this strange sci-fi setting. That type of thought has really come to life because they've included politics in the show for the past two or three seasons [Senator McKinsley, now VP]. It makes the show more real to bring the realworld into the show. That's more difficult with a purely scifi show like Star Trek or Andromeda. Farscape took the same concept of taking your normal average joe and putting him into the sci-fi strange, but instead of drama there is a lot more comedy... but at the same time it just isn't as believable as SG-1 for some reason.

I realize I'm rambling so I'm going to quit. But if they make Atlantis with a similar formula to SG-1 [minus the fact that they'll be stuck in another galaxy], then I think Atlantis will be just as popular as SG-1, especially if they stay concurrent.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the IMDB Richard Dean Anderson doesn't have any producer credits on Stargate Atlantis.

Produced by
Robert C. Cooper .... executive producer
Peter DeLuise .... co-producer
Ron French .... co-producer
Jonathan Glassner .... co-executive producer
Michael Greenburg .... co-executive producer
Damian Kindler .... supervising producer
John G. Lenic .... assistant producer
Joseph Malozzi .... co-executive producer
Joseph Malozzi .... consulting producer
Paul Mullie .... co-executive producer
N. John Smith .... co-executive producer
Brad Wright .... executive producer

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might be looking at the wrong page. 'url=http://imdb.com/title/tt0118480/fullcredits]THIS ONE[/url] lists him.

As EP, Rick has quite a lot of input on the show, though he tends to confine it to his character. On multiple occasions he has gotten dialogue changes to his character, especially when O'Neill does things that can be "too MacGyverish", for example. He wants nothing to do with Atlantis - as it stands he's been working only three or four days a week since season six, and his character changes in the eighth season have been to better accomodate this. Since S6, they've been shooting multiple episodes over several weeks (instead of in single-epsiode chunks) so they can maximize their Rick time.

But this is really for the Stargate forum, which I still hope we'll someday have here. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last episode I saw, the last in S7 ?, has me slightly worried about O'neil. I really have liked his character. I hope he is able to return to active duty within a few episodes because he's really made the team complete. Without him there is no average guy being tugged on by the polar personalities around him [the history buff, the science geek, and the alien]. The show's dynamic isn't the same without O'neil.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll say one thing for SG1: they have the BEST time-loop episode in all of sci-fi.

T'Alc in a golfer's outfit using the stargate to hit the ball lightyears away is priceless.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That's gotta be a record."

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He didn't say he was the saviour of Star Trek. Just that could be a saviour of Star Trek. Bit of a difference, there.

Marian

Either way - it smacks of arrogance and delusions of self-grandeur. I mean just to spout off that he has an idea that WILL WORK, that can SAVE TREK... I mean - Major Barclow could say that. [Smile]

Anyway I can't see JMS working under Berman or the Paramount suits that denied him way back in the early nineties. And as bad as it sounds - Trek is in the hands of the suits - and if JMS had problems with TNT I'm sure he can expect them with Viacom!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Must be a relic of learning to read and write back in the days of books and typewriters. Like taking the extra half-second to spell a word correctly, or using punctuation.

Well, aren't you the almight king of writing land?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'm the knig of Spelling land.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Anyway I can't see JMS working under Berman ...[snip]"

Well, yes [Smile]

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?ID=1-17119
quote:
There's some misinterpretations of what I said going around...so let's address
them.

>Well - the now verified (from the horse's mouth, so to speak) fact
>that JMS WAS approached on the possibility of taking the reins of Star
>Trek: Enterprise (and wisely turned that down - gag, hack, hack)

Nope. I said that Paramount approached me about coming on board as an EP, not
show-runner position. Berman and Braga would still have run the thing. I
didn't feel that I could function best in that arrangement.

As for the treatment Bryce and I wrote for another Trek series, as I said, we
wrote it on our own, NOT as an assignment from Paramount.

Just in the interests of accuracy.

jms

J
Member # 608

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I'll say one thing for SG1: they have the BEST time-loop episode in all of sci-fi.

T'Alc in a golfer's outfit using the stargate to hit the ball lightyears away is priceless.

Oh no, the best part was T'ealc getting hit by that door everytime and then finally hitting back.

Or where Jack quits and then goes to kiss Sam.

Or everytime they astonish Daniel with their knowledge of the ancient language and then at the same time perfect their juggling abilities.

It doesn't matter what it was, that was one great episode!

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _

[email protected]

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:
Either way - it smacks of arrogance and delusions of self-grandeur.
No, it sounds like a guy who thinks he can do a good job. Having a little self-confidence in his abilities hardly qualifies as "arrogance and delusions of self-grandeur."

quote:
Anyway I can't see JMS working under Berman or the Paramount suits that denied him way back in the early nineties. And as bad as it sounds - Trek is in the hands of the suits - and if JMS had problems with TNT I'm sure he can expect them with Viacom!
Which is probably why he turned it down.

Although I tend to agree with those who argue for Trek taking a long vacation to recover, I am a bit curious about his independant story treatment.

Marian

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps