Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ST Chronology Question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ST Chronology Question
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Charlie X is the 6th episode (produced.. it was 2nd in airing order), not counting the pilots. That would place it roughly 10 weeks (2,5 months) after The Corbomite Maneuver.
But what sort of spacing system are you using? For instance, my first assumption was that one season equals 365 days. For the first season, that gives us about twelve and a half days between episodes. (Assuming that episodes are instantaneous, of course, but this is just for averaging purposes.) But, on what grounds do we make this assumption? One thing that has occured to me is, what if TOS represents the entire five year mission? That is, if from either the second pilot or "The Corbomite Manuver" to "Turnabout Intruder" five years pass?

This whole conversation is the worst, though.

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Good point, Sol System. Didn't they mention Easter holidays in one episode, too?

technically yes and no, the German version (ZDF) states in Charlie X that all the easter eggs are fully painted... [Wink]

they also inserted a six week holiday after "The Immunity Syndrome"

Orig: I'm still looking forward to a nice period of rest and relaxation on some lovely ... planet.
ZDF: Und nun werden wir wirklich unseren wohlverdienten Urlaub antreten. Sechs Wochen auf einem freundlichen Planeten. Vielleicht auf der Venus.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the 59.223 days in which "The Paradise Syndrome" happened weren't included in the Okuda Timeline...

and the novelisation of "The Survivor" mentions that it's Christmas on Earth...

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sechs Wochen auf einem freundlichen Planeten. Vielleicht auf der Venus."

I am not fond of German TV stations and their sickening obsession to resynchronize all things foreign, but that is just the most hysterical bit of subtitling ever.

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
"Sechs Wochen auf einem freundlichen Planeten. Vielleicht auf der Venus."

I am not fond of German TV stations and their sickening obsession to resynchronize all things foreign, but that is just the most hysterical bit of subtitling ever.

You haven't heard of "Amok Time"/"Weltraum Fieber" before, eh? compared to that translation a holiday on the Venus (which seems to be terraformed in Trek) is just a very, very minor nitpick...

It was the a common fashion in the 70s anyway...

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, obviously I am a lazy, lazy man. I also went to one of the few schools in the country that thought Russian would be a more productive language to learn than German. So any chance of a translation? Pretty please?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It says, and I quote:

quote:

Six weeks on a friendly planet. Perhaps Venus.

LAUGH.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH MAN!

That isn't even a joke.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In its entirety, it says "And now we will really take our well-deserved vacation. Six weeks on a friendly planet. Perhaps on the Venus.".

I assume "the Venus" is just idiomatic. But that first sentence? Do people really talk like that in Germany?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In German, you mean?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you translate English literally into German, it also comes out as gibberish. For example, "Do people talk?" is complete nonsense in German. Or in Dutch, for that matter. That's why they are different languages...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sprechen Leute?" would be gibberish?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Just to check...are you challenging the multiple-language speaking Harry that you, Mr Tim "One Language" Nix, knows more German than him?

--------------------

Cartman
Member # 256

En "Spreken mensen?" is evenmin wartaal!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Just to check...are you challenging the multiple-language speaking Harry that you, Mr Tim 'One Language' Nix, knows more German than him?"

"Know". And I was just asking a question.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
En "Spreken mensen?" is evenmin wartaal!

Dat zal wel, maar letterlijk vertaald (zoals TSN dat doet met zn Duits) is "Do people talk" "Doen mensen praten", en dat is wartaal.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps