Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New Book: Tales of The Dominion War (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Book: Tales of The Dominion War
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw this at the store and picked it up:
it's all short stories from across the Federation set during the Dominion War- stuff from the remaining characters from the Stargazer books, a story from New Frontier and some SCE stuff.
10 stories and a ten page war-timeline.

Anyone else got this yet?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only ones I got were the ones they made a few years ago that had Sam Lavelle from "Lower Decks" and a little back story on Charlie Reynolds, the Captain of the Centaur.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those were pretty bad though: Vornholdt at his absolute worst: Picard once again saves the entire universe (as in all Vornholdt's novels) singlehandedly....in those noves it's from a death-star sized aritificial wormhole generator that we just never heard of during DS9's run (because only Picard can possibly contribute to defeating starfleets enemies [Roll Eyes] )
Yawn.

These look more promising as the stories are from across the Fed nad dont just center on "hero" characters.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And once again Riker manages to seduce some woman he will probaly never see again and this time she's another handicapped Borg survivor.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't see this one while I was shopping last, picked up Stargazer: Enigma instead. I'll have to get the book before it though because I skipped that one.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
Didn't see this one while I was shopping last, picked up Stargazer: Enigma instead. I'll have to get the book before it though because I skipped that one.

The first story in the book involves someone named Gilaad Ben Zoma nad it's entertaining right up untill the last page....
when Picard rides in and saves the day.
(yawn)
I guess you know Ben Zoma wont croak in any Stargazer books now, dont you? [Wink]

Fuck: in a Federation that would take 10 years to cross at Warp six, Picard is just fucking everywehere.
Moreso, considering the Enterprise E aparantly did not a fucking thing during the war's major battles.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are the flagship!!! They must preserve their pristine ship and paint job. The dominion war buggies would play merry hell with their power harmony balance table in engineering.

Being ambassador sucks.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Those were pretty bad though: Vornholdt at his absolute worst: Picard once again saves the entire universe (as in all Vornholdt's novels) singlehandedly....in those noves it's from a death-star sized aritificial wormhole generator that we just never heard of during DS9's run (because only Picard can possibly contribute to defeating starfleets enemies [Roll Eyes] )
Yawn.

These look more promising as the stories are from across the Fed nad dont just center on "hero" characters.

Unfortunately it's still a little too much Picard & Co. for my tastes. There's three stories featuring the Enterprise crew, hardly overwhelming, but it would have been nice to have just say one story featuring them.

Was it really nescessary for Picard to be on Earth during the Breen attack for instance? Or the Enterprise to arrive in time to enter the fray (it was elsewhere while Picard was on Earth).

And some of the stories barely feature the Dominion at all, the Betazed one is 4/5'ths Lwaxana bitching about stupid minutiae in an interview with a writer and 1/5'th Jem'Hadar actually attacking Betazed.

Some of the stuff is enjoyable, but it's not groundbreaking fiction by any means, not even by Star Trek standards.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

The first story in the book involves someone named Gilaad Ben Zoma nad it's entertaining right up untill the last page....
(yawn)
I guess you know Ben Zoma wont croak in any Stargazer books now, dont you? [Wink]

Fuck: in a Federation that would take 10 years to cross at Warp six, Picard is just fucking everywehere.
Moreso, considering the Enterprise E aparantly did not a fucking thing during the war's major battles.

*slaps the Jason fool for being too Sarcastic*

all baldy did was tell him, don't be a hero, still rounding up Jemmies, we wacked the jemmie ship, while the Vorta is realising how punk'ed he finally was by Ben Zoma (even though you dont know who he is at first). how the fuck do you figure THAT 'Picard rides in and saves the day' ruins that story?

no answer? then STFU [Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he has no answer, I'm sure it has less to do with a lack of a credible arguement, and more to do with what the fuck are you talking about?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, Star Trek books are so awesome.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyone else got this yet?
Yep, but I haven't finished it yet.

The one with Gilaad Ben Zoma
A bit disappointing. That Starfleet Officer at the end of the story could've been anyone. After reading the introductory text I thought we'd learn a little bit more about the doings of the Stargazer characters during the war.

The one with Lwaxana Troi
Wasn't that bad but it didn't feel right that the writer killed of a secondary character.

The one with the Breen attack
Just skimmed through it but I think it's quite a stretch of credibility to name all crewmembers of the USS Columbia after the crewmembers of the spaceshuttle.

The one with Scotty and McCoy
A little bit cheesy and patriotic for my taste.

The one with Kebron
Loved it. Had the typical NF humour.

quote:
Unfortunately it's still a little too much Picard & Co. for my tastes.
For we didn't see or hear anything about the Enterprise-E's missions during the Dominion war on-screen, I was quite content with three stories.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I worked that out when he was in a comic by Friedmen which seemed to be to take place towards the end of Picard's time on the Stargazer. [Wink]
Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The one with Scotty and McCoy
A little bit cheesy and patriotic for my taste.

A little chessy, yes. It also seems to contradict the other Breen attack story.

The one with Shinzon.
The most "War Story" of the lot. Also make a valiant effort to explain Shinzns background.

The one with Spock
Didn't really have a lot to do with the Dominion War. Unless you're interested in Romulan internal politics skip it.

The SCE story.
Star Trek take on "U-Boat 57" but still ok. Second most "War" Story.

The Klingon captain story.
Basic Klingon story. Lots of talk of honour and fighting. What you'd expect.

Resse's Story.
Resse, the guy with the knife in "Seige of Ar-558", hangs around in the background of WYLB. At least it dealt with the anger that some of fighters would have felt for the female Founder.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Left testes for mayor...:
quote:
quote:

(yawn)

*slaps the Jason fool for being too Sarcastic*

all baldy did was tell him, don't be a hero, still rounding up Jemmies, we wacked the jemmie ship, while the Vorta is realising how punk'ed he finally was by Ben Zoma (even though you dont know who he is at first). how the fuck do you figure THAT 'Picard rides in and saves the day' ruins that story?

no answer? then STFU [Big Grin]

It's just stupid that his old C.O. (whom he's VERY casual with) would be the one who's ship disabled the orbiting Jem'Hadar ship and was there to liberate the planet.
After all, starfleet only has six or seven ships, so it's likely that the flagship would be out in the backwoods of the Federation to save a non-federation planet.....there's nothing better the Flagship could be doing, right? [Razz]

From a DS9 storyline POV, I think there's a potential story for Enterprise E leading the fleet's assualt on the Dominion Shipyards (at the same time DS9 fell to the Dominion- Enterprise could've suffered damage in the attack-making the altered look of the ship in INN plausable and explaining why it's absent from the major battles), but placing Enterprise at every major engagment- and us never hearing a word about it) is pretty dumb.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps