Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Cardassians: Evil? or just missunderstood? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Cardassians: Evil? or just missunderstood?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Klingons actions are *not* ignored. But the Prime Directive clearly forbids them from interferring with internal political or military decisions. Look what happened when the Klingons actually did go on the offensive against the Cardassians... at least one officer and crew felt it necessary to defy orders in order to warn the Cardassians.

The alliance agreement doesn't go away just because the Klingons are doing ther things the Federation doesn't like.

The destruction of the Cardassian ships by the Phoenix was a tragedy, even if they actually were running weapons. But no more so, I'd say, than torturing captured Federation officers. Or Maquis. Or, hell, their own citizens. We're talking isolated incidents of agression against them versus a way of life that uses fear to keep its populace in line, then gives them reasons to stay afraid.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general, Trek is replete with incidents where thousands get killed and obvious acts of war are committed, yet both sides act with great restraint afterwards. One might deduce that the threshold of going to war is very high because the potential loss of life in Trek-style warfare is so utterly intolerable. Sacrificing a few thousands or even a few millions must look quite acceptable if the alternative is sterilization of entire planets.

Certainly massacring a colony or two "by mistake" is considered relatively mundane in Alpha quadrant realpolitik. And one may put part of the blame on the "innocent civilians" who must have known the risks of settling in the frontier.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, the klingons went apeshit after one of their crazy captains were killed by a balding starfleet guy in self defense (kicking victim repeatedly in face with boot heel).

And I don't remember how many Trek-episodes have featured a crew member being falsely accused of murdering a local alien and has to race against the clock to bust conspiracy case wide open and avoid war/other form of apeshit.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No- the klingons went apeship after the Federation(longtime enemies at that point and at best, tolerated neighbors) ecretly developed a device that anyone except the polyanna Fedeartion would use as the ultimate WMD.

That dead klingon captain just added insulrt to injury.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Klingons thought it was a WMD, and they didn't want the smoking gun to be the destruction of their homeworld, and besides, they just wanted to liberate the Genesis Planet.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did: they got rid of that threatening Oberth class starship after a bitter struggle in which the mighty klingon warriors risked all for honor!

Truly, it was a battle worthy of song!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha! yeah, the Klingon's are full of Shit, they hide amongst wreckage because 'in war, nothing is more honourable than victory' and they are supposed to kill themselves when captured unless 'there is hope of escape or enemies to fight' and crimes can be covered up for 'the good of the empire' They make this honour code up as they go along. The Klingons need to be sterilised, if the Remans ever get their act together I hope they head straight for Qo'nos, and I hope a movie or new series concept is there to see it!

--------------------
The disappearance of Donald Love

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Remans getting their act together" is indeed a possible future plotline, ranking right alongside "The Pakleds take over the galaxy" and "The Empire emerges from a transrealm rift, tries to take over the Milky Way, and is promptly defeated by aggressive tribbles".

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But war and shooting and think of the FX oh man!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I WANT TO SIGN UP TO YOUR NEWSLETTER!! Hang on...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I don't think anyone has ever thought about the inconsistancies in the Klingon code of honor before. It's certainly not like that aspect of the culture makes them relatable or realistic in any way.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yawn, temporal causality loop.

--------------------

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
You know, I don't think anyone has ever thought about the inconsistancies in the Klingon code of honor before. It's certainly not like that aspect of the culture makes them relatable or realistic in any way.

Cough*Take off of the frankly quite dodgy samurai code*cough*.

Excuse, me that's quite a bad cough I have there. The problem with the Klingons is that a truly honourable people wouldn't make for very interesting enemies, you'll notice all the truly honourable Klingons side with the Feds, Martok and co. while families like the ill-fated Duras always gun for the eviiil humans and have less honour than a new-labour cabinet minister.

P.S. The Remans are the most hideous creation ever and hopefully the next producer will say 'Nemesis' - what, that never happened!' and we can all go back to having Romulans living on Remus, Data alive (for the purposes of novels that are better than the show now, I doubt Spiner will ever want to take up the role again) and most importantly of all no bloody dune buggies... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

Indeed the Remans where pants and i have no intention of defending them, I just would like to see the Klingons lambasted in the strongest possable terms, oh and forgive me for mentioning something which may have been mentioned before, but the star trek universe being what it now is, that something we're all gonna have to learn to live with!

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:

Doesn't Admiral Jerok mention something about how the Romulans used to the honorable ones...?

Somewhere between TOS's movies and TNG the writers flipped that particular coin.

As to Remans, we're stuck with them.
I'd prefer to see them used as cannon fodder ans as slaves in any depiction of the Earth/Romulan war than have them conviently swept under the rug.
Better to take the hard road there.

Mabye they can establish some major disaster (war or mining dilithium) on Remus that makes the planet such a hellhole (who knows? it could still be a garden spot in Enterprise's era).

As long as they dont give us any bullshit about "their ozone will be depleted in ten years", I'll be happy. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps