Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Weyoun the best recurring character in Trek history (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Weyoun the best recurring character in Trek history
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are you? 90? Why don't you keep your money under your bed, away from the man? And then, I dunno, shoot some musketeers. Or something,

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know we've had problems in the past with various companies "losing" our payment and telling us we have to pay it again. It's nice to have that proof of a cancelled check that you can wave in their face.

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed.

And muskateers are nothing but trouble anyway. I kill at least three a month.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I like having something that I can hold in my hand that shows I paid the bill.
??? Again Aban, what about your statement of account? That's perfect physical proof of your transaction. What would you need the check for?
And BTW, if you pay by check, you hand in the check to the one you owe money. They lose the check - where's your physical proof?

Well, perhaps whe "Old Europeans" are more modern than some would like to admit... [Razz]

Like PsyLiam said, checks are for grannies who also keep their money under their pillow at night.
And even they hardly use checks anymore. Actually, here most companys don't even accept checks anymore...

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only write checks for the monthly rent.
My apartment's owner is pretty bitchy and can scarcely speak english, so communication issues with her somehow debiting a card or my account would be best avoided.

Besides, it often gives me a grace period between the time I give her the check and when she actually goes to the back (sometimes a couple of weeks even!).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have the carbon copy of the check that gets made when I write it.

I'm not arguing against online bill pay. I just haven't taken that step yet. More pressing concerns fill my life.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I know we've had problems in the past with various companies 'losing' our payment and telling us we have to pay it again."

I can only imagine that being a problem if you paid with cash. In which case, that's your own fault.

If you paid with a debit/check card of some sort, the bank should have a record of the transaction. If they do, you've got your proof. If they don't, you haven't lost any money, because, as far as the bank is concerned, there was no transaction. Unless the bank just says "yeah, there's $50 missing from your account, but hell if we know where it went". In that case, get a new bank.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not so much arguments against cheques as the fact that the "I don't trust banks" argument is exactly the same as those used by old people to explain why they don't use cash machines, or why they keep all their money in a pillow. It just seems a bit obselete. You have a statement. That's your proof.

Plus, I hate cheques for exactly the opposite reason Jason jsut said. You write someone a cheque, forget about it, look at your account 3 weeks later and think "coo, I've got �100 spare, maybe I'll go and import some Japanese Transformers." And then you check again a week later and suddenly your bank is ringing you up because the stupid idiot you gave the �250 cheque to has only just cashed it and now people want to break your thumbs.

Hypothetically.

Remember when we used to have arguments over school and exams and Charles and stuff?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but we have evolved now to the point where we are actually discussing MEANINGFUL things... [Wink]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

Plus, I hate cheques for exactly the opposite reason Jason jsut said. You write someone a cheque, forget about it, look at your account 3 weeks later and think "coo, I've got �100 spare, maybe I'll go and import some Japanese Transformers." And then you check again a week later and suddenly your bank is ringing you up because the stupid idiot you gave the �250 cheque to has only just cashed it and now people want to break your thumbs.

I've run into that with my checkcard though: turns out that a vendor (at a store) can swipe your card through the reader while you're there, give you your reciept but not actually process the transaction for many days.

I use Bank of America and their policy is, any debits to an account have to be processed within a certain time period (48 hrs I think) or those funds return to your account.

So, you can still have some charge looming dispite having made your transaction days ago and dispite whatever it says on your onling statement.

After getting shafted this way, I was told by a rather haughty phone agent of BofA that the only way to verify my account's real balance was to use a tiny check registry and hand-write all my transactions in there for each purchase.

So much for high-tech. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

The problem isn't when it happens over the past few days. It's when it's a month that I financially collapse.

--------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

quote:
I was told by a rather haughty phone agent of BofA that the only way to verify my account's real balance was to use a tiny check registry and hand-write all my transactions in there for each purchase.
ROFL

If any bank showed such incompetence here, it would be out of business in no time.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Bank 1 has managed to stay in business in this country for awhile and I never had anything but problems with them while I had an account there in college. DO NOT USE BANK 1!!

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

"Bank of America"

"Bank 1"

Imagination was not running high the day the financial institutions got together and thought "gee, why don't we make some buildings to put things in", was it?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

No.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps