Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » completely baseless speculation about the Gorn (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: completely baseless speculation about the Gorn
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the 8472 comparison that drove me to call him an idiot.

Ever think that mabye species 8472 had limited potential because they're fucking mute when not masquarading as starfleet groundskeepers?

The Gorn on Enterprise is probably the toughest of the TOS aliens to update- after all, how do you make a rubber lizzard-man with bug yes plausable?

I love it when someone comes on, bashes Enterprise with "though I've never watched it, or even given it a chance, it's shit".

...and much thanks for having my back MMoM.
(your usual cheque is in the mail).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only the show, but the production staff as well. Retards, all of them.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
said many times that i've never seen Enterprise and were willing to be educated. Indeed how do you make 8472 and the Gorn plausable? that was my entire point as to why the Gorn are not featured.
If the production staff and Enterprise is indeed up to scratch why is Trek dead, ratings speak for themselves. I'd share these views down at the local bar but would probably be beaten up for even admitting i like Star Trek or Sci Fi.
As for you Aban, I wasn't expecting any negative comments from you! But as its clear that what you don't know about star trek could fill a book, and your only input into any post on here i've ever read is sarcastic or foul-mouthed nonesense, i can't say i'm suprised.

--------------------
The disappearance of Donald Love

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Writers and producers do not equal an entire production staff. My guess is that are quite a few talented people who work on the show. Set designers, costume designers, etc.

As for your critique on my posting behavior, not only are you wrong, but if you had ever ventured into a thread started by someone other than yourself before now, or if you had ever posted something that was anything more than your starkly one-sided opinion, you might see a bit more tolerance from me.

You never asked a question about how to make the Gorn plausible or interesting as recurring characters. That might have actually been discussion-worthy. You just said they sucked. Then made a joke about Al Pacino. Riot hour.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So he wouldn't expect a negative post from you, even though he claims to have never read a post where you weren't being mean and sarcastic?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does my exclusion in that statement mean that he did expect a negative post from me or that he should have or that I'm nicer than Aban?

Because I'm not, you know.

hmmm...mabye he's just setting the stage for his becoming Aban's nemesis.
May it involve a red-hot metal mask and referring to himself in the third person.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*jumps in* Fight fight! Ok... maybe everyone retreated to their own corners by now...

But back to that original thought by Jason:
"So the Gorn are kind of unique as far as Star Trek aliens go in that they have the least amount of back story provided."

Now now, that's not true... I could easily apply the same to the Pakleds- perhaps their stupidity was all a coverstory, and it was really they that were interfering in the timeline! Just because we don't know where the Gorn homeworld is, doesn't mean that there's a time plot in the works...

I'm putting my foot down, no more time plots! Do you hear me whoever is going to write for the next series/movie???? I love all trek... well... cept for TOS and the animated series... mainly cause they were way before my time, (but someday I'll see them I'm sure) I really liked Enterprise too... and I never got how fans could be so cynical about it... People hated DS9 when it started, everyone denounced Voyager� and then everyone lambasted Enterprise- and it was all people that would just watch one or two episodes. Though� I�ve never heard of the camera as an excuse, that is laughable� but yes.. be nice to the new people, being nice to the new people is very good.

*ponders what he was talking about before* Ah yes, no more time plots� I think that was Enterprise�s great undoing� that and continuity- if it�s one thing we Trek fans will do, it�s nitpick. First� Timeplots. WHY?!?! The Suluban/Coldwar- that I was ok with, it was interesting� but then the ratings weren�t doing good, so they jumped into the Xindi/Spherebuilders with a second time plot that wasn�t related to the Suluban- and then after that it was Nazi/Non-Reman Devil people from some other time� and at that point even I was holding my head shouting for B&B to stop the insanity. On the DVD commentary Bragga chuckled and said that for cliffhangers they�d do some�n to throw people off and say wow, and then they�d figure out what the plot was going to be later on� *mutters things* The time plots to me just didn�t go together� they could have done a Xindi storyline with all the action and suspense, but with the �Future Guy� in the role and no sphere builders� and just delete the start of season four all together.

Second, that continuity. Why, if something is established already� do they up and contradict it? Either you like the Trill with bumpy heads, and use them later- or you up and make a new species that is similar but different with a new name, but you don�t just up and rewrite. Enterprise started out with a rewrite� Picard stated as a reason for watching a species develop before they make first contact, was that they did not do that with the Klingons, and it led to a war. But with Broken Bow- it is clear that they didn�t even have the opportunity to try and watch the Klingons, cause the Klingons landed on Earth first. �People should at least cite something like that instead of a camera angle.

And what is all this talk of Cestus III? That is a Bajoran colony world! �Bajoran shipping hired Cassidy Yates on that cargo run. You will have to pry Cestus III from my cold dead hands you Gorn!

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and 8472 wasn't mute... they shreaked... I don't have a problem with shreaking... Tholians did it... Gorn hiss... Soligen dimentional creatures click... Xindi Aquatics wail and sonar... just as long as the translator works... with all of them- the translator certainly cannot work instantly, but given time- we'll know more from them.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cestus III wasn't on Kasidy Yates' cargo run. It was where her brother lived.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grand Admiral Thrawn:
As for you Aban, I wasn't expecting any negative comments from you! But as its clear that what you don't know about star trek could fill a book, and your only input into any post on here i've ever read is sarcastic or foul-mouthed nonesense, i can't say i'm suprised.

Well, that is a shock, Aban skipped sarcasm enough once, but I only vaguely recall it.

I agree ST:E wasn't all that good, at least to me, but then again, what I do not know about trek could fill volumes.

And you should be surprised, just because you should be that you can almost type.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seven months ago you responded to that.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have noticed in nearly all Star Trek series that the alien races who looked completely non human didn't get alot of back story. I find that a little odd, since in a Galaxy filled with life forms, you think there would be more than a handful that didn't look humanoid. Sure thats in part due to the fact that it's expensive to create a convincing non human character with traditional make-up techniques and even CGI. Maybe if they cut some funds away from the technobabble department they'd make a species worth having a backstory. Star Wars has quite a few non humanoid aliens such as Whiphids, and Chevin, and Hutts, and Ssi-ruuk, And Ortolans, and Kitonaks, and Ithorians etc. I especially like the Ssi-Ruuk, they look like Velociraptors with tongues in thier nostrils. how inhuman is THAT!

As for Enterprise, it's not a bad show, T'Pols hot. That Asian chicks kinda cute, and those Andorian babes are sexy! the NX-01 looks more advanced than the NCC-1701, thats always kinda bothered me. What happened to the flatscreens in The 1701? But I guess thats what you get for making a modern prequel to an old tv series...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always found it weird that the NX-01 Enterprise looked just like the Akira Class starship (except the nacelles turned down), even though it's supposed to be hundreds of years earlier.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno if it's Canon, but i read that the Akira design team copied the design for the Nx-01, then again it still doesn't make sense since the NX-01 was created for the show AFTER the Akira was created.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone think that plant species from TAS could have been replicated well in modern day Trek?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps