Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Ships of the Line 2006 Wall Calendar (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Ships of the Line 2006 Wall Calendar
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch. It looks like the unfortunate results of an early (cloaking? subspace folding? transwarp drive? Edsel revival?) Starfleet experiment gone horribly wrong...
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Not too implausible as a late 22nd century starship, tho. But there's no way in hell that this could serve as the basis of the Constitution class through some minor tinkering, as classic fanfic is wont to think. Oh, well.

Agreed. IMO the old fan idea that the Constitution could be created from a completely different class by slapping on a secondary hull or some crazy rearranging of the components is woefully uninformed and naive. And the only reason most fans try to think of that in the first place is to explain the Constellation's registry number. And seeing how the producers and effects crew had no idea at all that any major franchise would develop from the show, I figure it's just one of those irreconcilable conflicts.

(Of course, my personal opinion is that the Planet Killer's intense gravity and subspace-dampening fields caused some bizarre optical lensing effects that seemed to rearrange the Constellation's registry number, when its real number is NCC-1710.) [Razz]
quote:
I wonder what the artist's inspiration was. Just doodling with ENT elements? Devising a new hero ship of his liking? Creating something so ugly that everybody would at once understand why Paramount had opted not to place any of its shows in this period of Trek history?
Nah, it's just inspired by the Paris-class light cruiser. Just more proof that Masao was on the right track for early starship design all along. [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you look at the diferences between the Constitution and the Refit and the official explaination of the DS9 Kitbashes, it seems like this kind of stuff is possible in Star Trek...
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by machf:
Ouch. It looks like the unfortunate results of an early (cloaking? subspace folding? transwarp drive? Edsel revival?) Starfleet experiment gone horribly wrong...

Please to be telling what you are talking about.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah- the pic on that calander site is a Connie with a Aurora shuttle pacing it towards a K-style starbase.
The Enterprise calander looks really cool tough- mabye we'll get some nice ship images from that.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't get the SOTL larger pic to open.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

machf
Member # 1233

Is there a larger one?

A new theory reagrding that picture: both the ship and the station have been affected by some gravimetric distortion. Which may be the result of an experiment being conducted aboard the station, so we'd be back at the "experiment gone wrong" thing again... Does anyone know what the actual description is?

BTW, regarding the biggest picture (the one labeled "May"), I suppose it relates to "The Ultimate Computer"?

machf
Member # 1233

Well, it turns out this thread at TrekBBS contains descriptions of the calendar pictures. I see my guess about the May picture was right... and seeing that that weird-looking ship corresponds to April, I wonder if it was meant as an April Fools' joke...
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa did anyone see the Connie with its saucer seperated? And what about that freak show ship?

Edit: My God I just thought of something; what if that weird ship is the hero ship for the next Trek movie?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thnk the "weird ship" is supposed to show a design lineage with NX-01/Enterprise J.
Same deflector/nose arrangment (though [i]far[/o\ uglier).

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Yeah, but then why make one for a calendar that comemerates(we need spellcheck) TOS? Why not for the Enterprise calender? I mean is there gonna a be a TMP and TNG version of this thing in future calenders? And what about the saucer seperating Constitution, shouldn't someone hang for that?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
?

That is to say, since when is that a problem? (At least in theory; I haven't seen the image in question.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Yeah, but then why make one for a calendar that comemerates(we need spellcheck) TOS? Why not for the Enterprise calender? I mean is there gonna a be a TMP and TNG version of this thing in future calenders? And what about the saucer seperating Constitution, shouldn't someone hang for that?

I think it's just that the calander is set in the TOS/TMP era (otherwise we'd see nothing but shots of the Connie/Connie Refit and that would be boring as fuck).

The ship looks a lot like the Odanta class though.

...and yes, someone should indeed hang for seperating the Connie Refit.
HANG I SAY!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it could seperate, but needed space-dock to put it back together again.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there was that novel in which Decker used the saucer only to defend Earth from something or other... I suppose it kinda makes sense they'd take the saucer off to do the refit. The refit's saucer has a bigger diameter, no?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps