Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TNG 1st season casting (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: TNG 1st season casting
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zuh?

I'm certain it's in the technical manual, on account of me never having looked at any of these other books. (Except the encyclopedia, which I checked.)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Argyle was not apparently the chief engineer. He was one of them."

That assumes the dialogue made it into the episode like that.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*update*

So, apparently it did. But then later in the same scene, Kasinski says he wants to be taken directly to the engine room. Riker says, "I'll have our chief engineer take you there."

Which seems to imply there is only one chief engineer.

(And when taken with the evidence from the remainder of TNG's run when we only had one chief engineer - LaForge - I think the evidence points to a high turnover among the engineering staff).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the case of Logan, since he was only a Lieutennant, is it possible he was filling in for someone who was on leave or something? When he became a problem, they got rid of him.

That seems to account for three of the four.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blame Roddenberry. The whole cast of TNG seems to have been assembled in a rather half-assed way, a far cry from the way it was done in later shows (where they could say "Right, we need an Engineer, a Medical Officer, a Science Officer, a Security Officer, etc., one of whom might - or might not - also be the Female Sex Appeal and/or the Fish Out of Water Alien Trying To Get Used To Human Customs"). So you end up with a situation where there are too many people on the Bridge, no Chief Engineer, and almost no Engineering set until they hastily added a scene set there in "EatF" to justify the budget to build one.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Japanese guy playing with Wesley in the engine room was an assistant engineer of some kind. IIRC, he was in overalls, not a regular uniform, though he was sitting in the CE's office at one point, I believe, and had access to alot of systems. The lady pretty clearly outranked him, though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacDougall: "THESE are CONTROL chipsss!!!!"

And let's not forget engineer Singh, who has the distinction of being the first crew member actually killed on TNG.

I once remember a discussion where we had concluded that the four folks through the first year were there on rotation to work out various bugs in the engines - never a permenant assignment, though for some of them it may have had that potential.

La Forge spent some time in Engineering in "11001001", which showed the producers that the actor fit in well in the role. The original irony was that the blind guy would be flying the ship, after all.

In the non-canon "Vendetta" novel, Argyle is found to have been transferred to the Excelsior-class USS Repulse, with the inexplicably sex-changed Captain Taggert at the helm. Kind of a step down from working on the Enterprise, really.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which ep was Singh in? I remember him now that you mention him... but I can't remember what ep he was in...

Didn't Q freeze someone to death during EaFP? Some random helmsman who foolishly went for a phaser? Or did he survive?

The explanation of the position being a rotating assignment makes sense. It would also rectify the contradiction with Argyle being the "Chief Engineer" and "one of our chief engineers (or Chief Engineers)."

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Singh was in "Lonely Among Us" and billed as "Assistant Chief Engineer."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But then later in the same scene, Kasinski says he wants to be taken directly to the engine room. Riker says, 'I'll have our chief engineer take you there.'

"Which seems to imply there is only one chief engineer."

Or, only one on duty at any given time.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

So was Geordi LaForge the Enterprise's actual Chief Engineer seasons two through seven, or did he just happen to be the on-duty Chief Engineer coincidentally when all the cool shit happened?

I think a more rational explanation is that Riker either mispoke or was making a dig at the fact that Picard had already gone through one engineer and might've been looking to go through a second.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

But Chief Engineer is a position, right? Like Executive or Commanding Officer. Wouldn't there only be one person aboard with that title?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
MacDougall: "THESE are CONTROL chipsss!!!!"

And let's not forget engineer Singh, who has the distinction of being the first crew member actually killed on TNG.

I once remember a discussion where we had concluded that the four folks through the first year were there on rotation to work out various bugs in the engines - never a permenant assignment, though for some of them it may have had that potential.

La Forge spent some time in Engineering in "11001001", which showed the producers that the actor fit in well in the role. The original irony was that the blind guy would be flying the ship, after all.

In the non-canon "Vendetta" novel, Argyle is found to have been transferred to the Excelsior-class USS Repulse, with the inexplicably sex-changed Captain Taggert at the helm. Kind of a step down from working on the Enterprise, really.

Mark

Perhaps Argyle saw how often the Enterprise got in trouble and opted to serve on a less doomed ship [Wink]

As for Taggert, he didn't get a sex change, he had a daughter

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also there's dialogue in "Encounter at Farpoint" about the frozen guy being thawed out.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
As for Taggert, he didn't get a sex change, he had a daughter

Says who?

{edit) Oh, wait. "Vendetta" was a Peter David novel. That guy' fanboy spooge can rationalize that black is white, when it comes to Trek. >.<

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps