Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TNG 1st season casting (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: TNG 1st season casting
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck Sienfeld.
A more overrated show is tough to imagine.

Sealab 2020, mabye.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. What we need is a satirical take to knock it off its incredibly high pedestal in American culture. Perhaps we could set our version, like, one year later, stir things up a bit.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Okay then, Mr Smart-Arse, YOU explain why the British didn't love the Best Comedy Ever from the US?

OK Mrs Smart-Arse - I will try.

I don't think it's a matter of LOVING or LIKING Seinfeld... As I have heard - Seinfeld in Britain was treated badly - given bad timeslots etc. Thus there was no collective 'love' of the show.

In Australia - it initially was treated like that - on Channel 9. Then it was bought/moved to Channel 10. They - who don't buy every show and hold on to it or treat it badly like 9 and Channel 7 - gave it a fantastic Tuesday 8pm timeslot for the next 7 or so years. It became a widespread phenomenon - which everyone was watching and talking about - cause there was pretty much nothing else to watch in comparison and.

That's why Trek didn't get the higher status it deserved here. It was kept by Channel 9 and played at odd hours and varing days usually anywhere after 11pm until 2am on a Tuesday or a Thursday.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tricky:
I think the reason the British didn't like Seinfeld (not that I watched it myself, ther urg to go out and hurt someone was to great afterwards) is that it was half an hour of them complaining and over analising the situation to death. We don't belive you have a right to wine endlessly: You put up, shut up, or do something about it.

*nearly spits out drink - if was drinking one at the time*

WHAT!?! Clearly you aren't familiar with the phrase "Whinging Poms"!?!

HAHAH!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's because you have you country/continent to hot. It needs more drizzle.

Re: TP and DooM. Evil Dead I think made less of an impact than DooM overhere, (ED had an 18 certificate, DooM didn't), and he either was thinking of DooM II or double barrel sounds better than single. I would go and see if he's still answering on a forum somwhere, but asking about a off handed quote not even in one of his books might be pushing my sadness to far.

Talking of trek's status, I have various Spanish and French friends and some of them havn't even heard of star trek.

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
The fact that Friends is a big hit in Britain and Seinfeld is not blows the knees out of any argument for British comedic taste.

(It would be like America going crazy for, I don't know, My Hero or something.)

((And the BBC fawns all over Seinfeld, so take that!))

Friends was a hit because everyone was able to watch it at prime time week in, week out for its entire run. It's now actually shown so often that it's become annoying. But as someone else noted, Seinfeld's barely been seen here. I reckon I'd enjoy it far more than Friends, but I've never seen an episode. I can't remember the last time it was in the shedules.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was on a few years ago on BBC2 at stupid o'colock at night.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was true for most of the run. I know I was still at uni when it started on BBC2, so that would put it at around 1993. I've no idea when it finished its run though. It was shown as a double-bill with Larry Sanders, which at the time I preferred. Probably still do.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps