Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS: balance of Terror! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS: balance of Terror!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hookay! I decided that I'd rather make a new thread than sift through three others for your opinions on this revised version episode.
Here's what I wrote in one of the other threads:
quote:

I saw Balance of Terror!
I guess I missed Miri (but that one sucks anyway).

It was really very good with a couple of exceptions:

The good:
Enhanced picture is great to see- everything is crystal clear and I noticed many intresting lighting techniques for this episode- like them shading all of Kirk's face exceept for his eyes in a kind of "reverse racoon" pattern.

The GREAT: the new Enterprise shots are so good and generally match the original's shots...except for when the ship gets nailed by that "debris nuke"- then the ship is listing badly.
The RBOP is very VERY nice- an exact replica of the original (no matching the one Eaves made) except in one shot where you can see various hull panels in a sort of checkerboard pattern (not quite the "aztec" of a federation starship, but the general look is close).
The plasma weapon is new and looks much better- a big red ball of flame.

Disapointing:

No new computer screen shots- we're forced to look at the horribly dated cardboard diagram of the Neutral Zone and it really does not match the crispness (newness?) of the show.
The RBOP just "fizzles" into cloak (like the original version) when the pattented cloaking effect would have been much better.
No new background for the outpost's interior we see- the commander still looks to be hailing from a broom closet.
The phasers still look and act like torpedos- bright blue blobs from vaguely the correct spot that (somehow) blow up into big blue coronas of light as they sweep the area for the RBOP.

Nothing to say it's new or improved at all! NOTHING! If they'd announce it was the NEW version, people would watch- as it stands, most will tune it out as "the same old thing".

The timeslot sucked ass- 6AM on what is the WB for one more week- nothing known after that.

There: Everyone (except Andrew in The Phantom Zone) has had time to see this by now (or not, as scheduling seems to be based on nothing)...what did you think?

Anyone else seen it yet?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone aside from everyone who already talked about it in the thread where you already posted this, you mean?

If "Miri" is on tonight I will say something about it here, and then what sort of counterclock world will we be in?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only saw two or three people (tops) discuss this episode in another thread- people that actually saw the episode.
....there were plenty that said "I'll watch it tonight" and never posted in though....Right Charles? [Razz]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, as it turns out, tonight failing to be Sunday puts a dent in my plans.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

There's always next week, Brain.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to watch, but I work Sunday mornings and setting the VCR is such a pain... [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well like I said in the other thread, didn't the Bird of Prey seem somewhat inflated?
Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Well like I said in the other thread, didn't the Bird of Prey seem somewhat inflated?

It's the secret new helium powered version. Otherwise where do they get those big balls of flaming gas that they shoot at other ships? Perhaps the engineering crew stuff themselves full of curry the night before?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then those phaser charges the Enterprise fired were full of beano!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yes- has anyone come up with a plausable Treknology explanation for this?

Bernd?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh sure go to someone clever and qualified and Scandanavian. I'm telling you it's big balls o' plasma. Phaser bubbles. Not so fast as a "beam" but oh, what a wallop.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

What I mean by inflated is that the BOP's profile is more rounded that from what I remember. As for the plasma weapon, it reminds me of what's inside a lavalamp.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Sorry for the double post, but I saw "Devil in the Dark". Very disappointed. Only the Enteprise, the planet Janus, and the matte painting of the colony, were cgi rendered. The phaser effects were the same as well as the transpoter effects. To quote the Horta I was left in "Pain! Unspeakable Pain!". Oh and the CGI Background looked just as bad as the original matte painting.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd is German. Nim is the only Scandinavian we have that I can think of offhand. Unless you count Timo's Icelandic alter ego.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

That matte painting was gorgeous! Or maybe it wasn't, I don't recall, but they usually were.

"Devil in the Dark" actually has the best new effect so far, namely the shot of the Enterprise at the very end, where the camera actually, surprise!, tracks the ship as it leaves. Something they couldn't really do at the time, and it looked very nice.

It was more than just updating the contents of the shot, in other words, and it worked well.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps