Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Doomsday Machine W.I.P. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Doomsday Machine W.I.P.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Interesting you say that about the maw since several people have stated the same thing at Trek Movie. Personally I think it looks fine. It makes the DM's insides look almost volcanic.

I think most of them are reacting without considering that they're seeing it at a very low resolution. Effects like that don't fair very well under that sort of compression. I'm sure the final product will look just fine.

As for the latest set of images, I'm pleased that they've retained some of the original's blue, crystaline like structure after all. Looking at the preview, it looked like a dull grey rock like texture.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. This will be most impressive!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question:

I remember reading on here or elsewhere a while back, that the model used for the constellation in the 60's was an AMT model - and that model wasn't a faithful reproduction of the NCC-1701.

Someone went as far as to create blueprints of the differences... or was this the Franz Josef Enterprise - or did he base HIS blueprints of the AMT model?

ANYWAY - have they copied the design of the NCC-1701 for the remastered Constellation - or have they faithfully reproduced the AMT model?

Can anyone tell? What are the tell-tale signs??

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dochterman's version is done!

http://trekmovie.com/2007/02/09/daren-dochtermans-doomsday-is-done/

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Docterman's version is quite good, there are some truly great parts, but to be honest, I've seen better work from less prestigious modellers who've spent far less time and effort than he apparently has. Maybe it was just all the hype that spoilt it(Trekmovie had several articles gushing over it).

The elements I did like were the slight transparency of the planet killer and the way that this guy really wasn't scared to have the camera go right up close to the models. In one of the flybys when the 1701 looms right over the camera it looks fantastic. I wasn't so impressed by the Constellation, though. The glowing effects made it look less dead.

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Question:

I remember reading on here or elsewhere a while back, that the model used for the constellation in the 60's was an AMT model - and that model wasn't a faithful reproduction of the NCC-1701.

Someone went as far as to create blueprints of the differences... or was this the Franz Josef Enterprise - or did he base HIS blueprints of the AMT model?

ANYWAY - have they copied the design of the NCC-1701 for the remastered Constellation - or have they faithfully reproduced the AMT model?

Can anyone tell? What are the tell-tale signs??

Andrew

The original Doomsday episode did use an AMT model, that's why the registry numbers were just rearranged. I don't know exactly what the differences are, but obviously there must be many between a 14" plastic kit and a fullscale effects model. AFAIK, the CBS version uses the regular Enterprise model they've been using all along, only with battle damage and retexturing. They wouldn't have built a new model to look like the 1960s kit.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least now any theories about the Constellation being a sub variant of the Constitution class or being a different class of starship all together can be dropped.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Are you kidding? They'll just ignore the "remastered" shows, in the same way that some Star Wars fans ignore the special edition versions of those movies.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the episode this morning!
Holy shit, it kicked serious ass- a perfect example of how to remaster an old show and make it exciting again.

I cant believe I'm saying this, but I'll be first in line to buy these on DVD.

Stuff to watch for:
-The scene where Enterprise is first attacked while the Constelation is in tow- Enterprise gets nailed with deflectors mostly down and sorta flips far forward (camera from roughly Constelation's POV).
-The new anti-proton effect is vrey cool- no more blue beam, but rather a sudden eruption from the Planetkiller's core- and in the same orange tones.
-Decker piloting the stolen shuttle out of Enterprise's bay and a fantastic curved trajectory towards the PK which somehow makes that old box shuttle design seem sleek and elegant- a fucking miracle in itself.
-Scotty has one phaser bank operational- abd only one fires, while Enterprise fires twin beams (blue this week).
-Enterprise (commanded by Decker) does this fantastic strafing run down the Planetkiller's length- the camera perspective is from just befind the left nacelle- giving an incredible POV "gunner shot" of the attack.

By far, the very best of the remasered stuff thus far.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
They wouldn't have built a new model to look like the 1960s kit.

If you mean being crappy looking - then OF COURSE... if you mean dimensions etc, different style engines etc. then why not?

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Whoa! It was nice. I especially like the scene when the Enterprise is slowly drifting toward the DM! Also the new FX of Decker's shuttlecraft suicide makes it look as though Decker was really desperate to destroy that thing. It flies hap-harzardly from the Enterprise and zooms right for the machine.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"if you mean dimensions etc, different style engines etc. then why not?"

Time and budget constraints?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

True, but I was wondering if it had always been a big thing in TOS fandom over the years that the AMT model meant a different sub-class... so as they did with the Cage and WNMHGB Enterprises they may have tweaked the Constellation to take on any differences between the two. Was there much of a difference?

--------------------

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the majority of people have accepted that it was a cheap model they used and that any differences were due to that, and it wasn't supposed to represent a Constitution variant. There are bound to be some people who insist otherwise, probably having made blueprints that can be found on starshipschematics.com or something.

I've decided I'll download this ep since it sounds so good(haven't seen any of them so far). Best I can do till the DVDs come out in Britain.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

If you find a place where to download it, would mind mind telling me?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm waiting for that m'self. In the meantime, you can find the FX reel on Youtube.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps