Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Doomsday Machine W.I.P. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Doomsday Machine W.I.P.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DDM = 23rd century "Eye of Sauron"? [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Commodore Decker is Gollum!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha! The One Ring was made out of solid neutronium, wasn't it? [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought it was more a a Moby Dick, Ahab type-o-thing.
Star Trek does have more of a tradition of referencing Melville than Tolkien. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humans = Hobbits?
Vulcans = Elves?
Klingons = Dwarves?

[Smile]

--------------------

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody tosses a Klingon!!

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Aha! The One Ring was made out of solid neutronium, wasn't it?
Cat couldn't scratch it.

That new pic of the maw was nice, the problem I think is if the glow shimmers and flickers too fast, like a 2D fire sprite from the Doom-era. It should be mesmerizing and terrible, like aunt Edna's ass.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
If you find a place where to download it, would mind mind telling me?

I don't know quite what the policy here is on discussing file sharing sites, but suffice to say, any search on google for torrent sites will lead to files for all the remastered episodes so far, apart from DDM, but that should be up by this time next week.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. I was just over ar EAS and judging from the updated effects, I think the updated Planetkiller would be about the size of the Voth city ship.

Biiig.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, fixing the scaling issues has really put a lid on how big the ol' ice cream cone really is.

So how exactly again is it capable of eating whole planets?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By breaking them up and eating the smaller pieces.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wich is still, of course, idiocy.
At leat in as much as it would take a single Planetkiller centuries to consume a whole planetary mass....big as it is, it's damn tiny on a planetary scale.
I can however see the PK's beam destabiliziing a planet's core, causing it's destruction, then "consuming" the super-dense core for conversion to antimatter (and possibly converting excess into more neutronium hull, making the whole thing larger or repairing damage).

The other odd misconception in fandom is that the PK can not move at FTL speeds- were that so, there would have been thousands of years to prepare between threatened worlds.

Smething not tried in the episode (and possible with a couple of starships) would be to make the PK chase a starship endlessly- "distracting" it untill a population could be evacuated or additional reenforcments could arrive.

Hmmm...I ownder if Starfleet developed any sort of anti-planetkiller weapon- prahaps a big antimatter tanker, remotely operated to zip down it's belly and blow up.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

"Wich is still, of course, idiocy"

Well that's the impression I get from the episode. It could have FTL drive, but if that were the case wouldn't it have warped away once it lost interest in the Enterprise and Constellation? Maybe the there was an error in the AI programming.

Also the words are spelled which and something [Cool]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah, but I never type faster than I can see, besides, it's all in the reflexes.
Or something.

As to the Planetkiller, it might have to slowly cycle up to FTL velocity (with whatever space-distortion drive kicking in only then) or prahaps it's programmed to only move on after it's destroyed all the inhabitable planets within a system- maybe everything within the so-called "life zone".

There could indeed have been an error in the AI's programming- it'd be neat to see Starfleet encounter another Planetkiller with substantially more inteligence (something smart enough to blast a starship before it flies down it's throat, for example).
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
DDM = 23rd century "Eye of Sauron"? [Smile]

Baby Q's dropped ice-cream cone.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Hang on - thinking about this more...

Is the purpose of th Planet Killer - to just mindlessly wander around and "eat planets" to get larger and larger for its own benefit or was it a civilisations's weapon to destroy planets? Just never 'turned off'? The 'eating' of the planets was just a by-product of it's destruction of planets.

I read somewhere that the hull of the Planet Killer was all dinged and dented due to combat damage over a long time? Neutronium would essentially be 'undentable' wouldn't it?

Interesting if a Borg cube AND a planet killer turned up one day! [Smile]

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps