Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Star Trek: The Beginning" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Star Trek: The Beginning"
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34635

"UESN"? Sounds vaguely familiar...

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bearing in mind that it's a first draft, it might have been quite good. It certainly sounds like it would have had some mainstream appeal(mainly because it sounds quite action packed), but I'm more comfortable with the movie that is being made. J.J. Abrams' production looks like it'll be far truer to the franchise's roots than "The Beginning".

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite some flaws in it's concept, and the whole "Top Gun/Starship Troopers" premise, it might have worked...had Enterprise never been made. But after four years of that crap, this concept would have died a quick death...which it did.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Tiberius rides a Harley Davidson Aero-Bike.
That just says it all, really.

P.S. What is Berman's obsession with Nazis?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Just... wow. (And I don't mean that in a good way.)

I certainly wouldn't mind a departure from the standard formula. I could certainly buy the premise in the broad strokes described at the start of the article, but the further it went, the more bizarre it became. The whole thing is contrived and oversimplified. I'm grateful it was dropped.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, they lost me at USS Spartan. Also why would Earth have two navies(UESN and Starfleet)?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few comments.

Seems that in this script Starfleet is exploratory and the UESN is military. (In my Starfleet Museum, I have the military UESN merging with the exploratory UESPA ot form Starfleet).

"War is too important to be left to the politiicans" is taken from Dr. Strangelove. It was spoken by insane USAF General Jack D. Ripper.

Having a Romulan fleet sneak up by hiding behind the moon sees a bit implausible, given that the moon orbits the Earth. But I'm not an astronomer.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I agree with the reviewer, that the described climax doesn't seem that great, but the setup is interesting.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sneaking up from behind the moon makes no sense if you have FTL sensors of any kind. Enterprise had those. The only way around that is if you have a way to defeat those sensors, like... ding ding ding! ...A cloaking device! (Or similar, but less perfect, stealth technology.) Which would kinda make sense for the Romulans. So sneaking up from "behind the moon" is a ridiculously naive idea.

And the whole timeline thing seems ridiculous too. The plot description seems to suggest that the whole conflict was going to take a matter of months. Of course the summary could easily leave stuff out, but there seems to be absolutely no strategy, no sense of logistics, no sense of travel times whatsoever. Did anyone (the writers) ever consider that a war movie never encompasses the entire war in a single story? It's because the whole thing is too damn big to tie in to any one person or group of people. You always tell small stories set against the backdrop of the war.

And the idea of one ship dropping one nuke on Romulus to end the war (or even to give them second thoughts) is ridiculous to the extreme.

As for the idea of a secret Nazi hideout in Antarctica, I won't even dignify that one with ridicule. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Oh yeah, I suspect the scriptwriter swiped the term "United Earth Stellar Navy" from my website, or used it despite knowing I had used it first.

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Oh yeah, I suspect the scriptwriter swiped the term "United Earth Stellar Navy" from my website, or used it despite knowing I had used it first.

Lads, Lasses, Ladies please...

It's a gay script, it's retarded... and it's probably some crack pipe dream...

[Roll Eyes] NEXT!

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, after reading this thread, I'm afraid to even *look* at the article for fear of going into blood-rage.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was hilariously mindless and jingoistic myself. Seriously, someone should give that script to Mel Brooks. It'd make a great follow up to Spaceballs. Or get the MST3K/Rifftrax guys to do a podcast to listen to while you read the screenplay. [Wink]

The moon bit just had be in hysterics. I mean, ignoring for a second that the moon is supposedly inhabited, that there are stations as far out as Mars and Jupiter, there's these things called satellites that can cover such blind spots, even if they were any.
It left me with the amusing image of a bunch of inept cowboys hiding behind a rock, trying to sneek up on some Indians.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more I think about the script, the more it seems like something out of an episode of Futurama. I mean this Tiberious Chase fellow sounds like a spoof of Captain Kirk that an actual ancestor of his. And then those ship names, NX-Omega and USS Spartan, I can't help but laugh.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Kif! I have failed to uphold Brannigan's Law! BUT!! I DID make it with a hot alien chick! And is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked upon the stars?!?"

"*sigh*"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps