Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Do you think Paramount would listen to a petition (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Do you think Paramount would listen to a petition
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that if an early days of the federation was made- continuity would be thrown to the wind (with Braga in charge thats a likely consequence of any new series).
As far as the props needing to look pre-TOS, thats not necessarily a bad thing. I am sure some talented concept artists could do wonders with the retro thing. It doesn't have to look cheesy or poorly constructed, just designed with a minset and stylistic sensibilities that vary a little bit from that of the present day.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't suppose that Majel's production company (Roddenbery-Krishner, I believe) could buy the rights to Trek from Paramount, do you?

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega:
I don't think that Roddenberry-Kirschner(?) has the resources to get Paramount to hand over the cash cow that is Trek. More's the pity--obviously, none of us really know what Gene's vision for E:FC looked like, but I find myself tuning into it more often than VOY. I don't know how much control she really has over E:FC, but she did get the show off the ground, and that's worth something in my book.

IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was worth a shot...

Lt. Tom... any relation to Cmdr. Paris? : )

Welcome to the forums.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

TerraZ
Ex-Member

Obi Juan: By the look of TOS, I meant the props and costumes and the genral settings. It's true that they could be made to look a lot better than they did in the 60's. However, there would be a problem. If you keep continuity in mind, a big problem is that women were obviously discriminated in the early days of Starfleet.

Of course, now that I think about it, maybe it would be a good thing to change continuity just a little bit to make that sort of details fit. I wouldn't mind a redesign Enterprise with a lot more detailing and better yet classic special effects. Of course, they probably would butcher it (like they even considered it seriously for a second)

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Give me Good Trek or give me Death!
*Me*

-Where were you when the brains were handed out?
*Sonic the Hedgehog*

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

Omega: It's a very good idea. The problem is that somewhere along the line, Paramount figured that it would be more profitable in the short term (and a lot less effort) to work Trek into the ground rather than carefully sustaining it for another generation.

Nope, no relation.

[This message has been edited by Lt. Tom (edited November 11, 1999).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Star Trek and I want to get as much of it as possible. I also love chocolate, and the only reason for me to take a break is that I'm getting too fat. I don't think Trek is fattening, so I'm looking forward to anything that is coming (in particular Voyager, BTW).

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supplement:

I'm not repeating the arguments I had against a Trek break some time ago, because all pros and contras are pointless in this case. This is a matter of attitude to Star Trek in general.

I wonder if I am still in the right forum if I read this thread. I'm not saying that I love everything if only a certain mountain appears in the opening or end credits. I'm not saying that I actually like certain crap episodes. I'm not saying that I like the way TPTB pay attention to the fans. I'm not saying that Star Trek is likely to keep a certain quality for all time.

Still, I feel completely different than most posters in this thread. I have seen every single episode two to ten or even more times, and I am even more looking forward to see more. There is no such point when I could be fed up.

Why do I get the impression that those who insist on taking a break (because they care so much about the show) will be the first ones among us who will forget Star Trek once it is not aired any more?

I usually appreciate what people in this forum write, and if I don't like it, it is at least worth considering. However, this touches the very basics of Star Trek. It might be a prejudice and please don't take it personally, but I have the impression that young people (I'm not that young anymore) often demand too drastic and too definite solutions, only to turn their backs on the topic some time later. Out of sight, out of mind.

As I said, I mostly enjoy even the most controversary discussions, but this is a drastic, maybe fanatic (missionary?) attitude beyond any arguing. A Trek community demanding the end (or at least a break) of Trek. Something I have encountered only in a discussion with a dedicated Trek hater. Not that I think anyone of you would hate Trek, but I hope you see my point.

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
Ex Astris Scientia

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In response:
"Would Paramount listen to a petition?"

Would they fu-

------------------
"You will be swept away....
You, your men, your ship, your WORLDS!"

jh
Ex-Member

Bernd: I wouldn't forget Trek at all if it went away. But I would have a greater appreciation for it when it returned. Familiarity, after all, does breed contempt.

I've seen every episode of TOS, and every episode of TNG and DS9 multiple times (except "Shades of Gray", could anyone watch that thing more than once?) and I will continue to watch them for a long time. But if the quality of Trek continues to suffer and go downhill (which on I believe is the trend on the whole, despite VOY's definite improvement over the past two seasons) will my love remain the same? Yes, for the originals, but never for anything that is a pale imitation. I don't just want Trek, I want what's good about Trek and I don't think that can be sustained indefinitely. There are only a finite number of stories to tell and if you keep the franchise running for 20 contiguous years they'll be exhausted sooner rather than later. Take the time and spread it out. Make the most out of it.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it occurs to me that makes two eps of TNG I've never seen - as well as "The High Ground" that's never been shown here because it's about Northern Ireland or something, there's "Shades of Gray." Do I look like I care?
TerraZ
Ex-Member

Bernd: I understand what you mean, but believe me, I would like nothing more than for Trek to continue, but it seem to me that the spirit of Trek is slowly fading. I've been a fan of ST ever since the beginning of TNG and I can honestly say it was my favorite of all 4 series. It didn't have a lot of action, but it sure had some heart and tackled a lot of moral issues. DS9 was also very good, even though the setting was a lot more negative. It gave us a whole new perspective of the ST universe as well as making the Trek Universe a lot like our own in that it's not always fair. In addition, its crew remains the strongest I've seen (I actually cried at the end of WYLB).

I like TOS for what it represents since it honestly doesn't compare wery well to today's Trek. Back then, the television standards were very strict and it broke a lot of established rules. VOY on the other hand, doesn't really have anything to make it stand out. The crew isn't that likable (Kim is a Wesley-wannabe, Paris is the big macho, Checotay hardly does anything, Janeway has become a real b*tch in the last seasons) except for the Doctor, Tuvok and Neelix (yes, I actually like that guy!).

Oh, it's got great visual effects, lots of action, new aliens each week but is that really enough to call it Star Trek? And there's the dreaded techno-babble... Honestly, I think I really enjoy about 6 or 7 episodes each season. The rest, I only watch for continuity. Even is Trek continues for 10 more years and is worst than VOY I'm still going to watch it. Not because I'm enjoying myself, but because I'm attached to the ST Universe. It might not be a good reason, but it's the one motivating me to watch it now. I don't know if anyone feels like me, but if you do, please tell me.

------------------
*Brannon Braga*

*Me*

*Sonic the Hedgehog*

[This message has been edited by TerraZ (edited November 16, 1999).]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I'm with you Terra. I hate VOY but I'm still compelled to watch it. It's canon Trek so it seems wrong to ignore it. I've always given Voyager the benefit of the doubt, but it's always let me down *sigh*.

The earlier 3 series ruled (DS9 is definately my fave) but VOY just doesn't cut it. Unfortunately, it gives me doubts for Series V. I don't want to have to turn my back on Trek but I may be given no choice...

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

I think this topic is closely related to the ongoing "Voyager is crap" discussion that I can't approve of at all. Voyager is even about to become my favorite series, and I can't support any of the arguments against it. It's a matter of opinion, though.

I agree that there is one thing that might not have served Star Trek in the last few years: the two series running in parallel. I think if the whole interest is focussed on one series, the opinion of Star Trek may become better again. Yet, many people, in particular in this forum, are already too biased against Voyager, and they refuse a new series without even knowing the very basic synopsis.

------------------
Ex Astris Scientia

TerraZ
Ex-Member

Bernd: You're right, it's all about opinion. I'm sorry if I lost my temper, it's just that I'm in a very bad "Trek" mood these days...

All right so it had some very good moments... "Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy" was without a doubt the funniest Trek episode ever and "Someone to watch over me" was very touching and enjoyable. The Doctor's the best caracter on the show with Tuvok and Neelix. "Riddle" was also very good despite the d*amn reset at the end and also "Extrem risk" for the Maquis thing. That's the kind of episode VOY unfortunately doesn't do enough. Caracter shows where their relationship evolves, where we get to see some hidden traits of their personality. Not "big space battle, bad aliens" shows" or "let's use a thingy drive to get closer to home". Ok, I'm finished, you won't hear me "bash" VOY too much again.

[I deleted some rantings about VOY 'overuse' of continuity since I shouldn't have put them here in the first place. This message was edited by a calmer and more gentle TerraZ]

------------------
*Brannon Braga*

*Me*

*Sonic the Hedgehog*

[This message has been edited by TerraZ (edited November 18, 1999).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps