Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » promotion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: promotion
Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking about this for a long time and still don't have the answer. Why is it that Data after more than 30 years of service, still a lieutenant commander? I remember that Data has been holding this rank for like forever, even before LaForge was a lieutenant jr. Aslo, I don't think it'd hurt to promote Tuvok and ensign Kim. They have beeing holding the same rank for like 6 years. What do you think?

------------------
Logic is the beginning of wisdom

IP: Logged
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you are correct!! And welcome to the place!!

Star Trek has always been slow about promotion.

I think Starfleet was afriad that people wouldn't want to be under the command of an android.

Then there was the M-5 incident. They gave command of a ship to a computer, and it went on a killing spree.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim and Data should be promoted. Data has been a Lt. Commander for at least 12 years. I think most people would be promoted to Lt. after 6 years as an ensign. How much would it hurt for Janeway to make him a Lt j.g. or even a full Lt. Hasn't Tuvok already been promoted to Lt. Commander from Lt.? But I have seen him in earlier episodes as Lt. Commander.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

Commander, sir!

Tuvok was a LCdr at the beginning of the series--he was busted down in rank by Cap'n Kathy for disobeying orders in one of those early "alien propulsion can take us halfway home" episodes. Now, the reason I remember this is because Tom Paris was originally given a field commission as a Ltnt--but after Tuvok lost half a pip, he became a LtJG. (I presume it was because TPTB needed Tuvok to outrank Paris, but there are plenty of IC explanations for why it happened.)

There's only one problem that I see with promoting Tuvok is that he'd be equal in rank to Chakotay and actually better qualified for the XO slot. Of course, I've never really seen the Maquis crew as "real" crew--but maybe that's because the writers didn't explore two opposing crews coming together as a cohesive unit. Damn them!

I'm not a big Harry Kim fan, but I'll agree that LtJG wouldn't be out of line for him. That way, we could actually pretend that his department head status wasn't the result of a typo by some clerk in Starfleet Personnel.

Darn emoticons. I like =). Is that a crime?

[This message has been edited by Lt. Tom (edited November 14, 1999).]

Saboc
Ex-Member

I think that they should make Data a commander or even a captain. In the episode "The Wounded", Data commanded the Phoenix flawlessly. And that is a damn good reason for StarFleet to promote him. I think he'd be a good captain. (Honestly, I think he makes a better captain than Riker. I don't like Riker that much. He is so arrogant)But if StarFleet doesn't think the same than it's just sad. I mean it's the 24th century and....It's just sad...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Saboc (edited November 14, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Saboc (edited November 14, 1999).]

Saboc
Ex-Member

By the way, who is captain Katty?

------------------

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

I don't think you'll find too many people arguing with you about Riker.

Cap'n Kathy = Captain Kathryn Janeway, CO USS Voyager NCC-74656.

Saboc
Ex-Member

I can't tell you all how much I hate Riker. There is only one type of people I hate: arrogant people.
Riker is just beyond my limits. I wish that they make him dies in the next movie. I also think Riker is the weakest character in all of the four series.
Sorry, I'm a bit emotional. I just hate Riker. LOL

------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, he's a very good person IMHO. I really liked him in "Frame of Mind".

As for Riker, he has turned down not one, not two, not three, but FOUR chances of being promoted to Captain, twice in the same episode!!! Guess he's not that ready yet. And very content to stay under Picard's command.

I didn't watch Insurrection, but (SPOILER WARNING) Picard was appointed ambassador (or so I heard) in that movie. Wouldn't Riker be promoted to Captain if that's the case?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Saboc
Ex-Member

Nah, Picard didn't get appoint to ambassador. And no no no no, Riker is not captain of the Enterprise. Thank God.
And why is it that the Enterprise keeps getting larger and longer everytime a new comes out? And what is so special about the Enterprise. I personally like the Defiant and the Thunderchild better...

------------------

Saboc
Ex-Member

Even if Riker is promoted to captain, I doubt that StarFleet would give the flag ship to a first time captain. If they do, I will then have to kill everyone at Paramount Pictures...lol..just kidding. I just hate Riker so much.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In terms of Voyager, there aren't too many promotions Janeway can hand out. I mean, after a few decades of that everyone would be captain.

"I'm Fleet Commander and Grand Vizier of the Spaceways. I'm in charge of every jeffries' tube on decks six through seven!"

------------------
"And if we weren't good to you, Dave, you shouldn't take it all the way to your grave."
--
Will Rigby

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

The Enterprise is special because she's the flagship. The ship and crew are supposed to represent everything the Federation stands for. It's also tradition, which is something recognized not only by Starfleet but by us folks in the 20th century. The name Enterprise is part of what connects the whole saga together. It all goes back to a show in the Sixties that turned a number of ideas about science fiction and about television upside-down. This show had a ship, the USS Enterprise, no bloody A, B, C, D, or E.
Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

And now for the lighter stuff:
Saboc: Even though the Ent-E is longer than the Ent-D, it's actually about one-third the size. Regarding Starfleet not giving command of the flagship to a first time captain, think about the Ent-B. Excel refit, the most advanced ship in the fleet, the pride of the Federation... Captain John "Tuesday" Harriman, commanding. =D

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, ol' "Tuesday" Harriman might be a hardened veteran of the spaceways, hero of countless space battles, three-time savior of the universe, who just happens to turn into jello when facing James T. Kirk himself.

And it's not as if Harriman was less competent than Kirk. He just happened to have a bad ship under him. His initial choice was the right one - don't go into that Nexus thing since you won't get out anyway. Kirk made a bad choice but had luck (and Scotty) on his side, and only lost one life. Too bad it was his.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps