Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » promotion (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: promotion
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In current (and presumably 23/24th century) naval parlance, the commander of any vessel big enough to be considered a "ship" (Don't ask -- it varies, probably more in Trek than now) is the "Captain" of that vessel regardless of his rank. Technically, a ship's commander (even if he's only an ensign) outranks anyone aboard his vessel (even an admiral), unless they are directly in his chain-of-command, and he still has some authority over them except in specific situations.

In the U.S. military just before WW II, there were very few promotions available. It was not uncommon for an officer to graduate from an academy, make 1st Lieutenant (or naval LtJG) and stay there for the duration of their career. I am reminded of the episode (can't remember the name of it) where Picard "died" and Q gave him a chance to relive his life all over again. He wound up a Lieutenant aboard the Enterprise D, with a reputation for being cautious.

Apparently Starfleet doesn't use "high year of tenure" (a maximum amount of time you are allowed to serve before you either make rank or are forced out). I suspect that either Data does not wish to be promoted or someone in Starfleet with influence over the promotion process doesn't want to see Data make Captain. If I'm not mistaken, there have been a number of instances where Data has been cited for exemplary performance, so if promotion was based even partially upon the individual's service record, I would think he'd have been up for promotion years ago.

--Baloo

------------------
It is far less important to agree than it is to understand.
http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tapestry is the episode.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Bashier made Lt. Cmdr...

And in 24th, they do call their commanding officer "Captain". They made a point of it somewhere midway through the war arc.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it was when Dax was in charge of the Defiant. Someone (might even have been Sisko) referred to her as "Captain". Nog balked at this and O'Brien explained that naval tradition is that the commanding officer is called "Captain" regardless of technical rank. This was when Nog asked if he would be called "Captain" if he ended up in charge. O'Brien told him that, by the time he would be in command, there'd be no-one left to call him "Captain".

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder who is the president of the Federation now. In one of the DS9 episodes, I think I heard Dr.Bashir said something about "the former president.."
Anyway, how long does it take for an ensign to become captain. I mean just regular ensigns not Romulan-warbird-sized-ego-like-Riker ensigns.
I think Picard made captain when he was only a lieutenant. And that Captain Scott is or rather was the youngest officer to have made captain in such a short time. Right?

------------------
-Surak: "Nothing unreal exists"
-Spock: "Logic is the beginning of wisdom..."

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott?! Er, hardly. He's older than Kirk or Spock yet wasn't a Captain until much later. Kirk was at the time the youngest starship captain. . .
Saboc
Ex-Member

This is the third time I tried to post my message. I don't why my message cannot be posted. The computer said that the message was being successfully posted. But when I went back and check, it wasn't there. I am so frustrated...

------------------

Saboc
Ex-Member

testing..testing...1 2 3

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must press "reload" button, grasshopper. Apparently yours is a computer (or browser) which does not refresh automatically.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Baloo and I have been reading the same books

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited November 16, 1999).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First One is correct, at the time, Kirk was the youngest. There was a reference to a woman in TNG timeframe, who was the youngest ever then. She turned out to be controled by aliens.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Saboc
Ex-Member

Wait, Captain Scott (the woman) made captain before or after she was controlled by the alien?

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was her name Scott?

*checks*

Huh. You're right. Tryla Scott. Actually, the encyclopedia doesn't mention any rank for her. It just says that she was the youngest to ever earn a command.

------------------
"And if we weren't good to you, Dave, you shouldn't take it all the way to your grave."
--
Will Rigby

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps