Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Who deserves a command of his/her own the most? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Who deserves a command of his/her own the most?
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's just a very 2 dimensional character. Sort of like Kirk but even less interesting.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally think that Riker would make a bad captain. He rejected four offers. That shows that he cares little about the rank of captain. How can you expect a person to be good at something when he obviously does not care about it??

------------------
Spend all your time waiting for a second chance, a break that would make it ok...

IP: Logged
Saboc
Ex-Member

I think that LaForge and Data would make better captains than Riker. I mean they're smart; they know they're smart but they don't stuff that down everyone's throat.
I just hate arrogant people.
Further more, any officer who rejected four offers in a row must be more stupid than an idiot. Do you think he has DD? (Developmental Disorders)

------------------
Spend all your time waiting for a second chance, a break that would make it ok...

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: I know 90 % of the continuity screw ups in TNG come from Riker's dialog, but O'Briens rank? Did Riker give him the LTJG rank pips? The concept of having an enlisted character had not even occured to TPTB during the early days of TNG, O'Brien was supposed to be an officer. As far as why he now seems to be a (S)CPO, and has "always" been one..well I think Temporal Investigations is looking into it.
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone always called him "Chief," except for one time Riker said "Lieutenant," IIRC.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did he, like, run over your dog or something?

I think Worf could be good. 'Course, he would have to have one helluva first officer to talk to now and then because he bottles up his frustration so much.
And of course klingons are not famous for their good judgement during peace-time. But hey, this isn't just any klingon!

------------------
-You are crazy.
-I thought I was pisces.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That wasn't meant for you, Garak.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obi Juan: Yes, but internal to the Trek universe, O'Brien has always been enlisted, so Riker still made an error.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Stuff" - Nobody

Chimaera
Ex-Member

In Riker's defence, weren't the commands he was offered relatively minor ones? Small, run of the mill starships doing routine and quite forgetable tasks. Granted, command of a starship, any starship, is a prestigious position, and no doubt a path to promotion to even better commands, but I think it is at least a little understandable why he would turn one down to remain on the Federation flagship.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

Saboc
Ex-Member

Chimaera,
I think the first time he rejected an offer was, maybe a good reason - the ship was too small...but not the second, the third, and then fourth. I think he's just not ready. No matter many books and offical things talk about how good he is, I think he is just an ordinary and old officer who afraids of having a ship of his own....

------------------

Sir Camelot
Ex-Member

ok
Forget Riker, how about his alter-ego Thomas Riker, he kick some Cardy butt with the Deifant, and he got the girls.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will Riker did a fine job in the big chair in BOBW.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Striker
Ex-Member

Why is it that some of you think Riker wouldn't make a good captain? Just because he's turned down 4 commands? You have to look at why he turned them down. I believe it was to show just how much like a family things are in the Enterprise. I mean, Picard is probably like a father to him and I'm sure he admires him. He's proven himself a worthy commmander when he has to. And there's nothing wrong with not wanting things to change. It doesn't mean he would do a bad job as a Captain, or that he's not ready. I personally don't like him that much, but when you say he wouldn't make a capatin just because he's turned down 4 commands, I don't by that at all.

------------------
-Striker
kob.diabloii.net

Saboc
Ex-Member

Riker may or may not be a good captain is very hard to say right now. But I can say one thing. Let assume that he IS a good captain. And because he was selfish enough rejecting the offers just to stay on board the Enterprise, the Federation was one good captain short during the war. I honestly don't see how hiding behind Picard's shadow for that long can help him any shape or form. As a psychology-major, I think his rejections of the four offers tell a lot about his character/personality. He keeps on using the excuse of "the Enterprise is his family and Picard is his role model and that the flagship is better than others" He just can't seem to move on. This perhaps is a symptom of Dependant Personality Disorder.
What do you guys think? Am I being so hard on him?

------------------

Chimaera
Ex-Member

Now that I think about it, didn't Riker have this kind of conversation with Troi one episode where he turned down a command? I don't recall the conversation exactly, but it started out with Riker talking about how ambitious he had been earlier in his career, and how he had been looking forward to his own command, but now he wasn't nearly as ambitious (or something like that). If someone here can more accurately recall that conversation, I'm sure it would shed some more light on the topic.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps