Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Cultural Diverisity on Starships (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cultural Diverisity on Starships
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
warbird: Actually, in "Space Seed", Spock confused the Eugenics War w/ WW3, so apparently it was rather large. I would guess it was never dubbed a "world war" because it didn't involve the entire world. We saw that Los Angeles was in pristine condition in VOY's "Future's End". Perhaps the America's never got involved w/ the Eugenics Wars, so it wasn't a world war.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere in a non-canon source that although major cities were destroyed, many of them were rebuilt almost to the building, using old video and picture footage.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to see more Asians in the Federation, but not just for political correctness' sake. If they want to give a role to an Asian, they'll have to make it real and give the character a lot of plot development, otherwise it'll just be boring. Before Harry Kim, who was the last Asian shown anyway. I seem to remember that starfleet captain played by Vijay Amritraj in TVH, but after that I don't remember seeing any.

------------------
Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong.

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt WWIII and the eugenics war could do enough to make white people the cultural majority. WWIII and the Eugenics War couldn't have killed over a billion people together. With 2.5 billion people asians would be the largest minority, way larger than the white population. The United States most likely was in the Eugenics war. Maybe Los Angeles was one of the few cities that was spared from a lot of destruction. In Future's End, it was an alternate timeline. it reverted back to the orginal timeline where there was a Eugenics War.
IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I doubt WWIII and the eugenics war could do enough to make white people the cultural majority."

I think that should be "racial majority"...the same goes for the subject of the thread, actually, from what's being discussed.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there hasn't been a lot of asians on the show, we have sulu and kim are the only asian main characters. there's been guest appearances by asians like when there was an indian captain when his ship was rendered useless by the whale probe.

and i did mean racial majority

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orion: Don't forget Admiral... Nakamura, was it? The guy who wanted Picard to come to some Starfleet function that Picard was avoiding, and the E was having problems at the time, so Picard couldn't go anywhere, anyway. Damn, why can't I think of which episode that was...?

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Phantasms", with the weird nightmares of Data. Nakamura also was part of the early "Measure of a Man" which gave Data his human rights.

It might simply be that Asians ("Asians" here as opposed to Russians or Indians, who do have a presence in Starfleet) have the smarts to stay back home and reap the benefits of the space-galloping practiced by the more eager and naive elements of humanity.

Timo Saloniemi

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just might possibly be that they were part of the early expansion, staked out the prime real estate, then decided to stick with a good thing. The Asian population might not be over-represented on screen because the majority of Asians have simply found more personally fulfilling things to do than gallop around the galaxy in Federation starships and get shot at by Borg, Cardassians, Klingons (when they're in "that mood"), Romulans, and the Dominion.

We have seen very few merchants in Star Trek. The ones we've seen are mostly down-and-out or barely making expenses. I can't believe this represents the true state of the Federation's economy. Perhaps we see so few Asians because they are part of a fleet we seldom see -- the Federation's Merchant fleet (the successful ones -- not those losers we see all the time )?

--Baloo

------------------
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
Come Hither and Yawn...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps