Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$ SERIES V APPROVED? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$$ SERIES V APPROVED?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hands out saltshakers*

From TrekToday:

quote:

Paramount Approves Series V Concept
Christian (April 4, 2000 - 10:48 PMGMT )

I just received a most fascinating report concerning the fifth Star Trek series, including the news everyone has probably been waiting for - apparently, Paramount TV Chairman Kerry McCluggage has finally approved Rick Berman's and Brannon Braga's Series V premise. This comes after several months of work that had already been invested in developing an acceptable Series V premise for the studio -- which had included the rumoured rejections of earlier versions of the now-confirmed and other premises, and focus group sessions that had tested three possible series concepts - a rumor that was confirmed today by Brannon Braga.

The premise that has been reportedly approved by McCluggage bears a strong similarity to the one that has been in the news ever since November, namely the 'Birth of the Federation' premise - with one important twist. Apparently, the villain of the series is someone from the 29th Century, who travels back in time to prevent the Federation from being born in the first place. The reason for this 'First Contact meets Future's End' twist is presumably to address the complaint that the 'Birth of the Federation' premise lacks enough suspense, because it obviously has a pre-established outcome.

According to the reports we received, the studio is still looking at a Fall 2001 premiere, meaning Series V would launch directly after Voyager's departure from the small screen.

As usual, though I have every confidence in these reports, treat them as you would any other rumour. This certainly hasn't been officially confirmed by Paramount yet.

And, to add to the above, from Sci-Fi-Wire:

quote:

Star Trek: Voyager executive producer Brannon Braga confirmed for SCI FI Wire that Paramount has indeed been testing concepts for a new Trek series to replace Voyager. That would appear to contradict statements by Braga's partner Rick Berman to Fandom.com that there's only one concept under consideration by the studio.

"There has been some testing," Braga told SCI FI Wire. "Obviously, that's true. I honestly can't say a lot about it simply because I have nothing to do with it. This is something that Paramount is doing. The testing of concepts, particularly on something that's a franchise, so to speak, I understand is fairly normal procedure. They are testing various things, and I didn't have anything to do with it, and I have yet to hear about any results from it. It's real peripheral to me."

Well, Um... uh... Well....

------------------
The above post was mulled-over, composed, and posted during time Tom would have better spent on his plethora of homework and homework-related exercises. Now don't you feel special?

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited April 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited April 04, 2000).]

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

I wouldn't have minded a "Birth of the Federation" idea, but the 29th Century villian just ruins it. I can just imagine how each episode will end:

"I'll get you next time, Captain So-And-So! Next time!"

"MEOW!"

------------------
"Time is but a window. Death is but a door. I'll be back."

- Vigo the Carpathian, Ghostbusters II.

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh? I guess I'll have to give it a chance, if it's just not another internet rumor.

------------------
"Contact in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... more or less."
-Tal Celes "Good Shepard"
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/7647/

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope its a rumor. With a prequel series they are bound to screw something (if not a lot) up. Also it would be boreing.....IMHO

------------------
Klingons never do anything small, eh Worf? -Commander Riker,
Star Trek: Insurrection

http://www.huntel.net/massa/StarTrek/index.html

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still has a predetermined outcome. You know that, in the end, everything will be back to normal...

------------------
"Good. I'll look forward to your report, Mr. Broccoli."
-Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, TNG: "Hollow Pursuits"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not worried about predetermined outcomes, since we always knew the Enterprises wouldn't be destroyed or their crews killed in TV episodes, either. This premise is exactly the same: there is always danger to the timeline (the ship) but the danger is averted somehow week after week.

Perhaps some might think that there is a difference when the whole future of Earth, the PD and Root Beer is at stake each week, instead of just the ship. But I doubt the difference is a major one in the end.

And in any case, the main villain will probably only appear in about every twentieth episode, just like Voyager misses going home by that much only two times each season, not every second episode as we originally feared. Most of the show will rotate around general Trek things, and explore alternate premises, just like Voyager does.

This premise gets my tentative okay. It's better than spinning something off an established character - no Trek character is really worth that currently, not Sulu, not Picard, not Spock. And it's a departure from what has been done before. Of course the writing and acting will not change, but there was never hope of that and never will be. What is important is that the premise is formally a fresh one.

Timo Saloniemi

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited April 11, 2000).]

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had set my hopes to a somewhat more distant future. I saw a nice rumour about a star trek show which was set around exploring more distant parts of the galaxy with some sort of transwarp drive, like the slipstream.
I thought that would be a nice return to the TOS spirit, to go where no man has gone before, and all that.
Well, well...

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Attempts to hold down rising bile*
*Fails*
BAAARRRRRRRRF!!

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone think we should CRUSH this Series V...

1. I don't think there should be a new Trek series for a few years

2. I think Branon Braga should concentrate on Voyager.

3. I don't think that BB and RB can cope with such a series if they can't address simple continuity on Voyager or scoff at the fans when they complain about the continuity problem

4. It ties in the 29th century again - probably the only original Voyager idea - and its going to be clone for a new series...

5. They'll ruin what has already gone before - I can't seem them keeping to the TOS style... or one 100 years earlier...

6. There is TOO MUCH Trek... please how many of you can - and presumably all of you that are here are FANS, can say they have watched EVERY single episode of Star Trek, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: DS9 and Star Trek: Voyager (plus the Nine movies and the Animated series) TWICE.

I haven't even seen all of TOS or TAS once.

I definately haven't seen all of TNG twice

I DEFINATELY haven't seen all of DS9 twice (even though its my fave.)

I haven't seen all of Voyager - of course because were six months behind here - even still I can't remember some of the episodes clearly... the middle of Season 3 and Season 4 is murky. and Season 4 and 5 are my fave seasons.

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I WOULD have seen them all, if I had #$*&ing CABLE, since there's no local UPN affilliate after WPIX got assimilated by the Dumba-you Be.

Speaking as someone who has a copy of virtually every Trek book in existence... there's no such thing as too much. (Well, okay, some of the earlier "Mary Sue" novels.)

Too much comes when I can no longer afford it. And if it comes to that... I'll give up one of my other vices, like nudie movies.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How could they ever get beack to TOS or preTOS times!!!
The style would be completely different: No more low-budget sets, no more sixties-looking people.

Every time they went back to TOS / preTOS, except the Tribbles-on-DS9 ep, they screwed up something. The worst one is "11:59": e-mail, fancy 90's style people, internet, no wars.

What will happen with the entire Dominon Wars story? They have to rebuild the UFP. I really hoped for a series set in the beta quadrant

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The worst one is "11:59": e-mail, fancy 90's style people, internet, no wars."

Uhh... I'm confused. What was wrong with them predicting the U.S. not being in any major, major wars on December 31, 2000?

I don't mind this idea, though. I mean, the Kazon were supposed to be Voyager's enemy, right?

------------------
"Warning: The contents of this Physics lab are 100% matter. Should the lab come in contact with antimatter in any way, a catastrophic explosion will occur."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I continue to believe that the best idea for a series (and I admit that this springs at least partially from "New Frontier") would be a new 'ship show' set no more than five years post-Voyager, in the Fed. frontier of the Beta Quadrant, and presupposing the collapse of the Romulan Empire.

First of all, it's an even bet that at least one AQ/BQ power involved in the Dominion War wouldn't be able to keep up with the demands that were placed upon it by extended conflict. The Romulan Empire, being the most insular of the three, is most likely. Given that it has already shown signs of potential instability (the "Reunification Movement"), has unknown adversaries on its other side or some other past conflict ("matters of greater urgency caused our absence," -- TNG The Neutral Zone), and has obvious problems in its power structure (the Tal Shiar, the mass of ambitious Senators in conflict), it would not be unexpected for the Roms to suffer some fatal (to the Empire) calamity.

Given that so little is known about the area inside and beyond Romulan space, this opens up a realm of areas and potential adversaries that could pose a 'clear and present danger' to the rest of the Federation. Upstart species that were once servitor races, or who had been conquered by the romulans, could suddenly appear on the stage, perhaps even using Romulan technology/ships. Previously unknown Empires that were on the far side of Romulan space could arrive, expanding into disrupted Romulan territory.

There could also be various Romulan factions vying for the remnants of power, some of whom could be cast members on board the ship.
Speaking of cast, a sort of joint mission, with cast representatives of former enemies, could help. throw in a Klingon, a Ferengi, a Cardassian or two...

And there's always the Borg... if Voyager hasn't ruined them completely by then.

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! You're stealing my Star Trek: Leeds idea! Only replace the Romulans with the Cardassians!

------------------
Star Trek: Leeds
Creator, Producer, Only Writer

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking that First of Two was really onto something that I liked.

Until he said that Voyager has ruined the Borg, albeit not completely.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps