Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » StarFleet Ranking Structure (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: StarFleet Ranking Structure
Pok�Doc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone give me an official Star fleet Ranking structure including enlisted officers?

Thanks,

Derek "Pok�Doc" Rabideau

------------------

IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure on enlisted or admiral ranks.

Admiral:
4-Pips - Fleet Admiral
3-Pips - Vice Admiral
2-Pips - Rear Admiral
1-Pips - Admiral

4-Pips - Captain
3-Pips - Commander
2�-Pips - Lieutenant Commander
2-Pips - Lieutenant
1�-Pips - Lieutenant Junior Grade
1-Pip - Ensign

I've noticed that a � pip is usually referred to as crewman or a non-commissioned officer.

Oh BTW, welcome to Flare.

------------------
Daniel: "Senator, we have reason to believe the Goa'uld are about to attack."
Kinsey: "Then I think they'll regret taking on the United States military!"
Daniel: "Oh, you're right. We'll just upload a virus into the mother ship."
This post sponsered in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited August 15, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, for the Admiral ranks, it would seem to go as follows:

5 - Fleet Admiral
4 - Admiral
3 - Vice-Admiral
2 - Rear Admiral
1 - Rear Admiral (lower half) or Commodore

The enlisted rates probably follow the USN's current ones, to a degree.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Antagonist Class Badly-Armored Poorly-Equipped Crappy-Fire Support Tug. To search out new armor and batteries. Because, well, we don't have a warp-core. That is my flagship, BTW." - Antag

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O'Brian was a chief petty officer. It was a small pin type thing with 3 delta lines and some dots IIRC.
And there is the one hollow pip Chief Warrant Officer that was used some.

------------------
Fire the technobabble!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O'Brien's insignia had three chevrons and two dots. I think it was the only one of its type we really saw, but the theory goes that there might be other ones as follows:

one chevron: petty officer, third class
two chevrons: petty officer, second class
three chevrons: petty officer, first clas
three chevrons, one dot: chief petty officer
three chevrons, two dots: senior chief petty officer
three chevrons, three dots: master chief petty officer

------------------
"Me, Grimlock, not 'nice dino'! Me, Grimlock, bash brains!"
-Grimlock, Transformers: The Movie

Savar
Ex-Member

There are numerous fan websites with illustrations of the ranks used for the Next Generation era. A good one can be found here. Ranks for the Classic Movie uniforms can be found at this site, but they are inaccurate. A superbly crafted web reference for ranks, uniforms, and decorations featured on Original Series and Movie uniforms can be found at Fitz' Starfleet Uniform Page which Fitz constructed in response to an earlier thread in this forum. The references on his site are as complete as you will find anywhere, and best of all they are ACCURATE. He plans to add information on The Motion Picture uniforms soon.

Hats off to you Fitz! And once again, thank you.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PokeDoc? *pukes*

Okay only kidding. Anyways, it appears you're our 400th member. Welcome aboard!!!

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Pok�Doc
Ex-Member

Why, though, does O'Brien have a half-pip? I've heard that that is for Warrant Officers and Ensign, JG's (?).

Pok�Doc
Ex-Member

Oh yeah, also on the link that says "Here" in Savar's post has a light blue color for Medical/counseling and a darker blue for Science. I've never heard of that. Also, it has a greyish color for Intelligence, can anyone confirm this?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, during TNG's later days two distinct yellows and two distinct blues were used. The more greyish blue-blue (how's that for vague?) seemed to be used by Science (and by Troi, actually, which throws that counselling thing into question), while the more tealish blue color was worn by Bev. And Worf's security-yellow was a bit brighter than Geordi and Data's ops/engineering yellow, which had a bit more of a muted tone to it.

The DS9/Voyager jumpsuits seemed to abandon this and got back to only three colours.

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably, the reason for the color differences was simply the fading of the original colors in laundry. Since the uniforms were form-fitting for the respective actors, and some actors saw more location shooting or jeffires tube crawling than others, one would only expect the colors to fade at differing rates.

Timo Saloniemi

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While your theory holds water, Timo, I still think the color differences were consistent enough to warrant different cloth altogether. For example: Troi & Crusher, Worf & Data

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited August 16, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is one missing in the above list:
3 1/2 pips: Commodore

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Respectfully, I see no color difference in those uniform comparisons. Worf is just sitting in front of a light so his uniform looks brighter.

There has never been a character called Commodore in the TNG era, certainly never one who wore 3 1/2 pips. Besides, commodore would rank above captain, therefore it would have to be more than 4 pips. I believe, though, that a commodore is a position rather than a rank. It's a captain who is charge of a number of ships (at least in the USN). Picard served as a commodore during Unification's blockade.

O'Brien's 1/2 pip in the early seasons of DS9 was simply the ranking system they were using at the time. When it changed to the more elaborate thing, I think it was just the producers' way of showing something new with O'Brien. Everybody else was getting promoted and they wanted to do something with him too. I think it was probably just a new insignia system.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Commodore is one pip in a square.

There is no rank in the USN with 3 stripes and a half, so there is no rank in Starfleet with 3 1/2 pips.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps