Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » StarFleet Ranking Structure (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: StarFleet Ranking Structure
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
West wears a Vice Admiral's uniform. Fact is that the ST6-costume-department made many mistakes:

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited August 17, 2000).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be considered a silly question, but what exactly is a non-commisioned officer? If you graduete from SF Academy, you're an ensign, right? Haven't these non-coms had Academy training or something?

Did they ever show us non-com rank insignias in TNG. BTW?

------------------
MS Windows Error 014: Unexplained error - Please tell us how this happened
---

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NCOs are enlisted men. They're not officers. They probably go to a different academy. Shortened courses.

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. :)"
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are officers, but non commissioned.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hence the term "NCO", "non-commissioned officer". :-)

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Encyclopedia says O'Brien's chevron thingy denotes "Chief of Operations". dubious.

For myself (and entirely non-canon), I have made 4 pips denote Fleet Captain, moving Captain to 3 1/2 pips. Thus, it was Fleet Captain Picard. (And Commander Janeway, but that's another discussion.)

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out www.tangofleet.com/ranks/ranks1.htm - the play by email game Tango Fleet, which has a long list of Starfleet officer and enlisted ranks, plus Klingon, Bajoran and Romulan pips (some graphics are canon, but some of the names are speculative).

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe, that the lower enlisted ranks are just that ... an enlisted man/woman doesn't become an "NCO" until s/he's a Senior Chief Petty Officer or so. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure how thats how it goes in the Navy ... you'll notice the senior ranking enlisted men wearing the same khaki uniform on ships as the regular officers do ...

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps