Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ST6 deductive leap (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: ST6 deductive leap
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, a good point. The assassins weren't specified as Klingons immediately, just as "BoP operators". The deductive leap to them being Klingons followed pretty soon thereafter, though.

Then again, Romulans do NOT have a Bird of Prey in the canonical universe. In TOS, they had ships with birds of prey painted on them, but the ships themselves were never referred to as Birds of Prey in the two relevant episodes ("Balance of Terror" and "The Deadly Years"). And the TNG vessels are known as Warbirds. In contrast, the Klingon ship was explicitly called a BoP when introduced. So perhaps saying "BoP" is identical with saying "Klingon small cloakship" after all?

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or not so small, since the K'Vort is a BoP, too...

------------------
Pilot: You're sure they were Americans, eh?
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
Pilot: Americans it is.
- "due South"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's keep THAT genie in its bottle for now, shall we?

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Canon to the right of them, canon to the left of them, canon in front of them volleyed and thundered."
- me

(Note: There are no spelling errors in the above quote)

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."
Giles: "I was beginning to suspect that was a myth."
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't most of that quote from Bashir and O'Brien from a Season 7 DS9 episode?

------------------
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: A New Hope)

IP: Logged
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're new around here, aren't you?

It's a joke. CERTAIN people, who shall remain nameless, are obsessed with canon, that being those things which are considered "real" in the Trek universe. The quote (which is from "The Charge of the Light Brigade", in case you're wondering) was a reference to the Crimean war. Your mistake is to confuse "canon" the adjective with "cannon" the noun, which is a weapon.

------------------
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
- "due South"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who thinks that the idea of the Romulans not having warp drive in TOS is 100% stupid?

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Omega
Member # 91

Didn't we have a thread about that a while back? I think we decided that they did...

------------------
- "due South"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Romulans might have been using a different type of FTL drive - not Warp...

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a thread about it? Okay, I won't bother starting another one then.

But what was the outcome? Did everyone think that they must have had warp (or some form of FTL drive), or that they must have just spent years travelling place to place, going "boo", and then spent years getting back?

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Omega
Member # 91

I think we decided that they had to have warp, but just ran it off an inefficient power source.

------------------
- "due South"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Like porridge?

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I always thought porridge tasted like jet fuel ...

------------------
Read My Lips: NO NEW TEXANS!
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

That's because your taste-buds have been destroyed from drinking jet fuel, obviously.

------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a novel way back when which stated that the Romulan "birds of prey" were not equipped with warp drive, but were shuttled from place to place aboard a larger carrier that was. (Yes, I know it's non-canon)

The 'pedia also mentions in the DS9 ep "Homefront" that the Romulan wars reached Earth, sorta like the Earth-Minbari War. First of all, I don't remember anyone in the show ever making that statement, and if the ships didn't have warp drive, then it would have been impossible anyway.

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps