Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ST6 deductive leap (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: ST6 deductive leap
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Homefront" mention was in regards to Earth not having been at such a state of emergency since the Romulan War. Whether or not it was attacked directly wasn't addressed, but obviously they thought the risk was there.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OTOH, the Romulan war was probably the last time there had been a need to get the homefront to prepare for a war effort. The Borg and V'Ger and Whale Probe incursions were all so sudden and short that there *was* no homefront in these conflicts, even if they happened on Earth's backyard. The Klingon crisis in turn seemed to consist of minor clashes up until "Errand of Mercy", again something for which a homefron would not be established. And the Cardassian wars seemed to fall right into the same category. O'Brien spoke of them as "border wars", and people didn't seem to acknowledge them at all in early TNG even though a state of war apprently still existed until "The Wounded"!

So even if the Romulan conflict was fought far, far away from Earth (and *especially* if it was fought far away), a homefront would have been formed, supporting a lengthy war effort. This might be a rather unique occurrence in Federation history.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, that the Earth was a 'stand alone' planet since the Federation hadn't been formed or had just been in its infancy...

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Cardassian "war" ended a year before "The Wounded", if I recall my dialogue correctly.

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another deduction:

Chekhov: "If there was another vessel, surely the attackers beamed aboard that vessel, not Enterprise."

Spock: "You are forgetting something, Chekhov. According to this log, this ship fired two torpedoes. If we did, then the assassins are here. If we did not, then whoever altered the databanks are here. That means whoever we are looking for is here."

Fine, but there exists a distinct possibility that there was one person responsible for altering the databanks, and the assassins could STILL board Kronos one from that BoP.

Comments?

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chekov.

=)

Ok, ok ... the assassins could have been aboard the BOP, and transporter aboard from the BOP, while it would only take one person aboard the ENTERPRISE to change the records ...

Well, Spock is still correct, there is still a member of the conspiracy aboard.

Why didn't the Conspiracy consider this and get two of the photon torpedoes off of the Enterprise? This way, a physical count would confirm what the computer was saying. Hell, why not just get someone to the torpedo room and fire two of the suckers off?!?!?!

------------------
"When they come, kill them. We're not here to make friends." -- Connor

"But you're my friend." -- Duncan

"Count yourself lucky." -- Connor

Highlander: The Element of Fire

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess somebody did a little calculation:

X=the number of people who would smell a rat when Valeris expertly tampers with the computers
Y=the number of people who would ask awkward questions when Burke and Samno drag two photon torpedoes up the corridors to the transporter room
Z=the number of people finding something unusual in Burke, Samno or Valeris suddenly pressing the buttons that send a live torpedo or two towards the Klingons

X << Y < Z

=> go with X, so you have to eliminate fewer witnesses

What the conspirers really should have done would have been to tamper with Scotty's computer, the one that initially suggested the ship was still fully loaded. Then nobody would have gotten the crazy idea to manually count the remaining torpedoes. Clearly, Valeris wasn't quite the computer wizard she thought she was.

Timo Saloniemi

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the Torpedo room is under high security at all times. Along with the computer that makes the counts. Unfortunately, Burke and Samno were not security guards........

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps