Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Mirror Universe (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mirror Universe
Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone got any opinions on how the Dominion and Borg might fare in the Mirror Universe? Perhaps they're good guys? Perhaps the changelings still got persecuted and so the Dominion is still evil. And surely the mirror AQ powers would stand more of a chance against the Borg, being more war-like.

Thoughts?

------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends. You see, the "Mirror Universe" as you know it is a pale imitation of the original. In the TOS epsiode "Mirror, Mirror" and Diane Carey's novel "Dark Mirror" the parallel universe is depicted as one which is completely at odds with our own - the very nature of humanity is warped into something evil. Then along comes DS9 which turns it into a nice little excuse for the actors to be a little different for a change. Result? Your average Alternate character is maybe a little less moral, and needs a shave.

It's a waste. Remember what all those crewmen on the ISS Enterprise were like? Complete cunts, to be frank. I'd like to see an Alternate Miles O'Brien who's a version of that, not the wimp we got instead.

I've not read the last couple of Shatner's books which I gather feature the Mirror Universe being far more like the original - is this the case? And does it contravene the 'canon' history now established by DS9, or do they explain it away convincingly (or not)?

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one area that they never touched on in the mirror universe arch that was wide open for some interesting storytelling: The Prophets, The Dominion, the Jem'Hadar. All these coul've been addressed but never were. The Dominion is probably alot like our Federation and the Jem'Hadar are like Police or something. My guess is that the Prophets are the same ones as ours. They see the Mirror Universe but disregard it because it isn't the "real" universe.

I agree that DS9's version is a little toned down, but remember, the Terrans in this universe have been under the boot of the Alliance for years and years. That's bound to breed out some of the angst. I think they tried to make up for mirror humanity's sudden lack of permeating evil, though, by making a rule that every woman in the mirror universe is a bondage-loving lesbian.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...which will possibly be shown more fully in the two "Dark Passions" books, set in the DS9 Mirror Universe, due out right about now.

as for the Shatnerverse Mirror books, well, Kirk remained a baddie in the mirror universe right up until the end. He killed and stuffed little Balok, had Chekov stuck inside the agony booth until he mummified, and had most of the rest of his senior staff's necks stretched in front of SF Headquarters in a purge.

It was Spock that got the Empire conquered, and I figure 70-odd years of slavery would pretty much make ANY species a bit downtrodden... all the agressive humans would have been killed off or recruited by the Alliance by now.

There's a few interesting bits about the Mirrorverse for the now-largely-defunct LUG Star Trek Role-Playing Game floating around the internet, including a couple pages on Mirror-Andoria.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited December 29, 2000).]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You see, the "Mirror Universe" as you know it is a pale imitation of the original.

Yes, I completely agree. I never liked the bastardization DS9 turned the mirror universe into.
Although Diane Duane's mirror universe book was a bit sappy at times (that dolphin crew member, uuggh), I still liked the fact that the Enterprise crew had duplicates that were diametrically opposite to their own morals and values.

I always thought the mirror Spock was going to change the empire for the better. Wasn't that the whole point of the TOS episode?
So what does DS9 do? They say that Spock brought down the empire and caused an even worse Alliance to take over. What were they trying to say, that evil will always triumph over good?

------------------
"Although I do not know how World War III will be fought, I do know how World War IV will be fought - with rocks and clubs." -Albert Einstein

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or look at it this way.

Spock DID change the Empire for good. But all the races that the Empire crushed saw an opportunity and did to the former-Empire what had once been done to them.

The morale is, "treat others as you would like to be treated."

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited December 29, 2000).]

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, not everything was 'reversed'. Spock was still a logical man, rather than a pre-Surak style savage. Also, the Halkans were peaceful in both.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*slaps head* Diane Duane! Fuck!

All in all, it's just as well we never got to see the Modern Mirror equivalent of the Borg or the Prophets. The former would probably still assimilate people, but ask nicely first; The latter - do you know, I can't imagine what they'd be like, but you know TPTB would screw it up somehow.

------------------

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the ShatnerMirrorverse, the thing which caused the timeline divergence appears to be that in the mirrorverse Cochrane spoke to other people about the Borg having attacked just before First Contact, which led to the Federation taking a more militaristic, paranoid, start (that is, If I understood the story).

Of course, the borg came from the Regular Federation's future, which means that there's a causal loop and a half there...

The Borg in THAT universe were encountered and eliminated some time previous to the story's setting. Apparently, the Prophets never revealed themselves in the Mirrorverse. Can you blame them? So it's likely the Mirrorverse had never heard of the Dominion.

From what I gather, the Mirrorverse is kind of like Earth-2 (or was it 3?) from the old DC continuity (and the recent graphic novel). Evil, rather than good, always wins. It's endemic to the nature of things in that universe.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's some of us here on AOL that have continued along the Duane path & created a Terran Empire Simming Association. I myself serve as helmcat (I'm a Sadrao) for the ISS Wraith in 2298.

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People are complaining here about DS9 not being true to the original series concept of the mirror universe. They were dead on - even talking about Spock and Kirk... it was explained that the alternate Federation was 'turned' by the alternate Spock... that plus generations of Terrans being locked up for over 100 years would not let us have the "cunts" that were the mirror universe federation people. Although it seems to be that it was only the Terrans that were "downtrodden" the Vulcans seem to have stayed the same - see Spock and Tuvok - he is essentially still Tuvok... although not part of a Starfleet, but definately against the Alliance.

Now I'm wondering, is Bajor part of this 'Alliance' or is Kira a part of it on her own accord?

The Klingons maybe part of the Alliance but they are cowardice and have no sense of honour.

The Cardassians seem to have some sort of upper hand

The Ferengi are kind and helpful - a la Quark and Brunt. The characters aren't diametrically opposite they're just - different.

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
by making a rule that every woman in the mirror universe is a bondage-loving lesbian.

Well at least that was always my favorite part about the DS9 mirror universe.

------------------
"Every day people are starting to sound more and more like Kosh."
I could say the same about a few Flare members.
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Lee
Member # 393

That's what they call the payoff. The DS9 Mirror Universe is pants, but it's got bondage-loving lesbians so everyone likes it. Voyager is shite, but it's got some Californian beach bimbo in a silver outfit, so everyone likes it. Christ only knows what they'll put in Series 5. No doubt whoever Braga's fucking by then.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never have I seen a more accurate assessment outside of Entertainment Weekly!

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If in the Mirror Universe, with everyone and everything different if not by much, the Borg could be nice.

"We are the Borg. Resistance is futile only if you wish it that way. Do you wish to be assimilated? If so, your biological and technological distinctiveness would be added to our own. Thank you for our cooperation. Have a nice day."

That would be something to see.

------------------
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: A New Hope)

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps