Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » How old are the Borg? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: How old are the Borg?
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to both 'The Omega Directive' and 'Dragons Teeth' the Borg should only be about 1000 years old.

Yet in 'Q, Who?' a much MUCH larger number of years is mentioned.

Either they've started to assimilate species until 'recently' (in the Borg existance that is...) or it's another of Voyagers changes to the Borg epic timeline...

I don't think it takes 10,000 or 100,000 (or whatever was said in 'Q, Who?') years to meet 125 species. Even worst: The Borg Queen is of species 125, which they only met about 900 years ago...

Still they could have changed tactics or something...

Any speculations on this subject? I really like to know what you think of this.

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WE ARE THE BORG.
WE ARE SIXTEEN, GOING ON SEVENTEEN. . .

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the Borg aren't native to our galaxy? It'd make sense. As of a millenium ago, they'd still only have assimilated a handful of systems, but they could still be hundreds of millenia old. Once they assimilated an entire galaxy, what's left to do but go on to the next one? Transwarp would be useful for that. Now whether the different galactic collectives are in contact with each other is a different question all together. Perhaps ours is the only one that's really malevolant, due to some sort of malfunction.

This would make them a kind of universal plague.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was more or less established fairly early on that the Borg originated in the Delta Quad.

------------------
"Content, graphics, and design are © 1999-2000 by The Solareclipse Network"
-And no-one even noticed the typo...
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that was always the implication, but then Voyager meddled with the timeline again by having the Vaaudwar say what they said. Now, "hundreds of Millenia" ago, as Guinan said, they were probably just in their early stages of what they are now. They weren't nearly as sophisticated and had probably just become some sort of small collective for the first time. They may not have even had interstellar travel at the time. But after they became a collective, I would think that things would prgress pretty quickly from there.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe they were from another galaxy.

Did anyone ever actually SAY that the Borg ORIGINATED in the DQ?

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, wasn't Voyager rather far beyond "Borg Central" by the time of "Dragon's Teeth" (or "Tooth", or whatever-the-hell it was called)? Perhaps it took the Borg until a millenium prior just to get to there. Until that point, maybe they were expanding in other directions.

Who knows? Maybe they found a wormhole to somewhere in a totally different part of the galaxy, and they were assimilating over there. There might be two pockets of densely-populated Borg space in the galaxy...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read Timo's post in the other thread where he mentions that "hundreds of millennia" suggests an age of 200 000 to 900 000 years, and it made me think of something. I checked, and the Iconian civilization was destroyed about 200 000 years earlier. What if there could be a connection? A large group of Iconians transport themselves to the delta quadrant where they end up becoming/creating the Borg.

I know it's just wild speculation, but it's kind of neat. Better than the V'ger theory, IMO... :-)

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never read it, but that's the general plot of one of those Peter David novels, isn't it? That the Borg are indeed hundreds of thousands of years old and had swallowed almost the entire galaxy before being driven back by the Preservers and others?

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, that sounds like a good novel.

------------------
"What happens on the edges of infinity, the never-never land of mathematics?"
-Miss Hodgin

Omega
Member # 91

"Vendetta," wasn't it?

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe a good "What If..." depending on how well the story is executed then it would become canon I hope.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vendetta! Yes, that's it.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there's some book out there that says the giant planet killer from TOS was originally built to destroy the Borg. Probably the same book. I like that theory.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if that constitution-class was enough to stuff it full then the borg prolly wouldn't have hesitated for shit to shove two fully manned borg scout-ships into its mouth. All is expendable.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps