Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Some things for Trek X - that have to be addressed! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Some things for Trek X - that have to be addressed!
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WARNING: SPOILER AHEAD!!!

$

$

$

$

$

$

Appearantly the designers of the Sovereign class were not the only ones who thought of using a joystick for control. Tom Paris used two on the rebuilt Delta Flyer...

$

$

$

$

$

$
WARNING: SPOILER ABOVE!

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altair, nice use of the spoiler warning system.... LOL

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aargh!! Why did I not stop reading??? Why, cruel world, why???

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trek X needs to establish some things about the Ent-E crew.

I'm all for giving Riker his own ship. Give him LaForge as his XO. This crew has been together for how long? It's about time TPTB showed them moving on, taking new assignments. Either that, or promote Picard, and give Riker the Enterprise ...

Admiral Jean-Luc Picard could come aboard the Enterprise on a supervisory role during a crucial mission.

Ambassador Worf is also aboard, to act for Federation diplomatic interests in this particular mission. His character will not be taking over the role of chief of security, as Worf has moved BEYOND just working tactical ... it's time to let Worf grow.

Captain William T. Riker has commanded the Enterprise for close to two years now, shortly after the Bak'u incident, when Picard accepted a promotion to Admiral.

Commander Data is the Enterprise's Executive Officer, who is considering leaving Starfleet. At the beginning of the film, we learn he has recieved an offer to teach at Oxford University on Earth.

Commander Geordi LaForge is still Chief Engineer aboard the Enterprise, but he has been offered an Executive Officer post on another starship (or two or three), and is considering them.

Lt. Daniels is still chief of security. Flesh him out a bit, see more interaction. He's part of the Enterprise's senior staff now, and TPTB need to treat him like it. Perhaps establish that he was Worf's assistant aboard the Enterprise-D ...

Deanna Troi is still aboard, of course, perhaps working on a research project about people's interaction over so many years together.

Dr. Crusher is also aboard, although she has been considering transfering to a dedicated medical starshipk, which has been offered to her.

Ogawa is back, now a regular doctor (she was at Starfleet Medical during Insurrection).

Lt. Nog (from DS9) is aboard the Enterprise as well -- he's the new Ops officer now that Data is XO. He keeps in regular contact with Chief O'Brien, which can be illustrated by having a quick comment to Riker, "the Chief sends his wishes", etc.

By the end of the movie, Picard returns to Starfleet Command, Worf goes back to the Federation Embassy on Earth (where eventually he becomes a Klingon governor, per All Good Things), Data accepts the teaching position (again, All Good Things). LaForge remains on the Enterprise as Executive Officer (which leads to his taking command of the Challenger), Dr. Crusher transferes to the USS Pasteur, the medical ship (again, All Good Things), leaving Ogawa as CMO of the Enterprise (akin to Future Imperfect), and Nog gets transfered down to Engineering as Chief Engineer (now that LaForge is XO). Daniels stays as CSO. Troi and Riker's relationship continues, possibly even to a marriage.

All in all, it would mark an appropriate end to the TNG franchise. The characters move on their own seperate paths, yet we know that the Enterprise continues her ongoing mission, with Capt. Riker and XO LaForge guiding her.

That's how I think it should end.

Just for comparison:

The Original Command Staff

Jean-Luc Picard -- Captain, Commanding Officer
William T. Riker -- Commander, Executive Officer
Data -- Lt. Commander, Operations and Second Officer
Tasha Yar -- Lt, Chief of Security
Geordi LaForge -- Lt (jg), Helmsman
Worf -- Lt (jg), Bridge Officer
Beverly Crusher -- Commander, Chief Medical Officer
Deanna Troi -- Lt. Commander, Ship's Counselor

The Ending Command Staff

William T. Riker -- Captain, Commanding Officer
Geordi LaForge -- Commander, Executive Officer
Daniels -- Lt, Chief of Security
Nog -- Lt, Chief Engineering Officer
Alyssa Ogawa -- Lt. Commander, Chief Medical Officer
Deanna Troi -- Commander, Ship's Counselor

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing another movie with the above crewmembers. Bring in some fresh blood, shake things up a bit. Maybe mix in Harry Kim (assuming VOY has returned by then). I think that could work quite well ...

Let me finish by saying, I really like the character of Nog. I think it would be a shame to ignore him with the end of DS9, and I think he'd make a great addition to the crew of the Starship Enterprise. Hmmm ...

Then, if they decided to do another Trek: TNG film with this new cast of old and new and other Treks, assuming VOY has returned by this point, they could even bring a newly promoted Lt. Harry Kim aboard as Operations Manager.

I like it. I really do. I really think this could bode well.

Captain William T. Riker!
Commander Geordi LaForge as the Executive Officer!
Lt. Nog, as the Ferengi Chief of Engineering!
Lt. Daniels as the Chief of Security!
Lt. Harry Kim as the Operations Officer!
Allysa Ogawa as the Doctor!
Deanna Troi as the Shrink!

=)

Whatcha think?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited February 10, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited February 10, 2001).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmm, how much for that warp core??

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, you could say that there was a major shakeup after Insurrection, and a whole frikin' bunch of admirals were forced to resign. Of course they'd want Picard to take over something, and he'd probably take it, too, to avoid someone less honorable getting the job.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to point something out... Of course Daniels and Perim were boring. They didn't do anything. They were like the helms(wo)men-of-the-week on TNG (or, in Perim's case, helmswoman-of-the-movie). Someone has to be there, but, if they don't play a crucial part in the story, trying to "flesh out" their character would just be forced, and detract from the regular flow of the movie.

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they don't have to be FULLY fleshed out - but they don't just have to recite dribble either... how about Riker saying - "show us some of that knowhow you learnt on the Hood (insert any ship)"

to the Trill - mentioning a host... or someone mentioning something she does that is controversial... just in passing...

Nice little bits here and there... there is such a rich tapestry of Trek to pull from...

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful how much pulling you do, you may unravel it...

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Voyager's done enough of that ...

Yeah, Omega, that's what I was thinking. We find out Picard got promoted just after the whole Bak'u thing, partially to help recover from Dougherty's action, but also due to losses from the Dominion War. This way, Patrick Stewart gets his way off the films (if he wants), and the character doesn't get killed.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, but taking the strongest actor you have and shuffling him off to the edge of the screen seems to be the single worst thing you could to Star Trek.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Patrick Stewart has already said he wants to stop doing "Star Trek", I believe. He'd be brought back for Star Trek X under the above plan, but it'd be hard to get either Stewart or Spiner back if they don't want to come back. Unless I'm mistaken, they only signed for a three-movie deal originally.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't recall hearing anything about Stewert being finished with it. Spiner, perhaps, but only in vague mumblings from faraway sources.

------------------
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I'm fairly certain both Stewart and Spiner (and probably Dorn) want out.

Does anyone else find it rather incredible that this group of officers would stick with each other for this long? Poor Data has been a lieutenant commander for what -- 14 years? And how many commands has Riker passed?

I think it's rather unrealistic of TPTB to keep these characters together. By the end of the next film (even if it is the last TNG film), we should see the characters moving on, some of the original characters remaining aboard the Enterprise, and others moving on to new assignments and new challenges.

VOY pretty clearly established that Geordi LaForge would probably be commanding a starship in the not-so-distant future. The logical evolution for this is that he will follow up his assignment as Chief Engineering Officer aboard the Enterprise-E with a tour of duty as Executive Officer aboard any number of ships (preferably the Enterprise) for a number of years, and no offense -- but this should start happening pretty soon.

All Good Things can't be looked on for what will actually happen to the characters 25 years down the line from TNG, of course ... the loss of the Enterprise-D is proof enough of this, yet it's not hard to make the argument that the characters will drift in the same directions regardless or not of the loss of one starship (so it's a good bet Geordi might wind up married to Leanna Brahms).

IIRC, Picard was a Federation diplomat sometime after leaving Starfleet. I don't know if the marriage to Dr. Crusher will work out, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I would imagine that if Picard didn't take a promotion to Admiral, he might accept a nomination as a Federation Ambassador or Diplomat to help bring new worlds into the Federation (something he seemed to already be doing in Insurrection).

Worf's future was as a Klingon governor. I don't know if this will happen or not, but as the Federation Ambassador to Quo'nos, TPTB have opportunities to take the character in interesting new directions. He's no longer just the "Klingon chief of security", he's a major figure within the UFP, and I find it rather hard to believe he'd keep manning the Tac post EVERY SINGLE time he's back aboard the Enterprise.

Data has spent nearly his entire existance in Starfleet. Tuvok took a leave of absense from Starfleet, it's not inconceivable for Data to do the same and "retire" for as long as he wants before returning to duty. Why would the loss of the Enterprise-D change his decision to teach at Oxford?

I really don't know what to say about Deanna Troi. She's always been rather ignored on TNG, and she was long since dead in All Good Things. Perhaps she and Riker married. Perhaps they didn't. Who knows?

William T. Riker. Remarkably ambitious officer. He turned down a command to take the XO post on the Enterprise, remember? This is a guy that graduated in the same class as Geordi LaForge (who was a Lt jg. during the first season) and Chakotay (according to the Chronology, anyway). I find it almost impossible to believe he's still willing to stick around as XO ... c'mon! Okay, for seven or eight years perhaps "being the flagship's XO" would be appealing, but I would imagine he'd be thirsty for a challenge. If he's still XO by the end of Trek X and not CO of Enterprise or another starship, I'd be dissapointed. Let me also say that Will Riker is a great character, and I think he'd make a great Enterprise Captain.

PLEASE!!! Powers that be -- let these characters move on and grow.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I rather suspect Paramount's goal, as it should be, is to produce a good film. I'm willing to bet that that has very little to do with believably tracking careers.

------------------
--
Neutral Milk Hotel

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps