Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Prepare for emergency saucer seperation!" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "Prepare for emergency saucer seperation!"
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, I've never thought of that. But I must admit the Galaxy class has the ugliest front view of all time.
But the semi-ventral shot from "Emissary" in DS9, where she arrives in the end of the episode and scares the cardassianos away, it's beautiful. Especially those uneven surfaces on the bottom of the saucer. The side view is nice also.

------------------
You can't kill me, I'm charming!

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone do a 'spot the difference' between the TNG Galaxy class model and the DS9 CGI version? Whenever I look at the Galaxy class in DS9 it somehow looks a lot better than in TNG...

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited March 10, 2001).]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the explosion, didn't Odssey's saucer blow off? You can see it fly towards the screen.

Personally I perfer the model than the CGI, CGI makes the ships look cartoony, not in the way of Baabylon 5. Have you seen Voyager? I can tell that every shot that invloved a CGI. Some ships too looked even worst.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've started rerunning VOY again, and you can definitely see they used the model in those episodes. It just looks a lot more realistic, for some reason.
They are less clean and crisp, they look more like used spacecraft.

------------------
To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen.
The Amtal Rule (Dune)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, you've got people who can explain EXACTLY how Impulse engines work, but you've got no-one who knows that the original Enterprise-D model actually DID seperate?

Basically, ILM built a 6-foot model that seperated. It was akward to use. Half way through season 3 (I think it was "The Enemy"), a new 4-foot model built by Greg Jein debuted. It was more detailed, but didn't seperate. Which didn't really bother TPTB, since they'd stopped using that over 2 seasons ago.

When BOBW part 2 was done, they hauled the old model out (for about 2 shots). They then went back to the 4 foot model for the remaining 4 years.

For Generations, ILM got the 6 foot model out, and spruced it up.

The 4-foot model was used as the Odessey, used in AGT, and (AFAIK), last seen as the USS Venture (Way of the Warrior), which still had the engine/phaser modifications from AGT.

Since then, we've only seen the CGI model first designed for Generations. I have no idea what the 4 and 6 foot models are doing nowadays.

And Nimrod: The Enterprise scared the Cardies away in Emmisary? Sorry, but that's exactly NOT what happened. Kira bluffed, and then the wormhole opened up. Gul Dukut's being carried along by a runabout took the wind out of their fight. The Enterprise turned up later. The Enterprise had turned up at the end of Emissary to scare away the Cardies would have been the worst thing they could have done.

Sorry, and I want to test Matrix: While I agree that sometimes CGI is really easy to spot, Trek is generally really good at it. I remember several people slagging off the "cheap looking" Valiant CGI model, before finding out that it was a physical model. Can you tell which ships in the final shot of A Call To Arms are CGI, and which are models? Or which shots of the Voyager title sequence use the model, and which use CGI?

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I know the Jemmie battleship in "Valiant" looked very much CGI...

------------------
"...I know this board in secret, intimate ways which are beyond your comprehension.... Let's just say that people should *not* be telling me what to do; it should always be the other way around."
-"Red Quacker", conspiracy theorist and contemporary lunatic

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PsyLiam: Maybe I was unclear in my disposition, but the Enterprise showing up in the end of "Emissary" did help to speed up the cardassians time of departure.

Benjamin's quote: "With the arrival of the Enterprise, the cardassians have left the area."

I find it illogical to assume the cardassians guarded the station from the prophets, after seeing the wormhole, and was happy when the Enterprise arrived so that they could go home.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 12, 2001).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
9/10 CGI spotting in even Trek is easy as...

Its, as was mentioned the non-perfect look of models, their physicality and the way light interacts with the real surfaces that make the models more realistic.

I still think the MAJOR problem with CGI today is the way light interacts with the model - be it starship or dare I say it... Gun-Gun...

Also, the windows in Starships... when will 'fan modellers' realise that those windows aren't just white or black.

Also - as I mentioned somewhere about the NEW CGI for the spruced up TMP... I can't stand how on CGI models - textures are reused over and over and over so the pattern becomes noticeable on say the hull... or the nacelles... They are TRYING to make it look 'real' but things in real life don't repeat EXACTLY over and over again... If its because they take a small image map and tile it then stop taking the easy way out, and spend time creating each individual hull plate... also how light responds to each individual hull plate...

I mean look at those FAKE AS hull patterns on the Enterprise E... they try to do the hull plates, but the CGI makes it turn out to look... well plastic... and FAKE!

Another trek CGI problem is movement... these are BIG starships... they lumber along... they don't dip and dive like a fighter... only say the Defiant can do this. No those big ships... especially the scenes in Insurrection where it has the E-E strafing the Collector to beam out Picard... yeah right...

------------------
"Yar, a lesbian? That girl had a sex drive! First, Data in Naked Now, then, in
Hide and Q, she hits on Picard! "Oh, if only you weren't the captain..." God! If
Denise Crosby hadn't left the series, she'd've slept with the entire senior staff by
now!" Jeff Kardde - March 7, 2001

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Captain's Chair CD-ROM it was said that the Ent-E had the maneuverability of a ship half it's size. I don't know how much weight that carries.

Remember, the Ent-E has about the same internal volume as the Ambassador class. Which is much less than in a Galaxy class. Add to that newer technology and two huge impulse engines and I think it'll get the job done.

Have you seen the turns that the Nebula and Ambassador make in DS9s pilot episode? Have you seen the turns that the Ent-D sometimes makes when it goes to warp?

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't exactly tell you how i can tell how I know that which one if CGI or not but I know this the way the hull reacts to the light in space is a good indicator. It looks good only at distance but up close you can tell by even the shading in hull.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimmy: Ah. I'll buy that a bit. But still, wasn't the Enterprise a few hours away while everyone was fluffing around in the wormhole? The Cardies had plenty of time to retake DS9 if they wanted to.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Nim
Member # 205

If you say so.

The romulan warbirds in the DS9-ep with the bajoran blockade, and "IAEIL" were nice. Weren't they CGI?

One safe assumption is that CGI only will improve with time, so if you haven't liked it up until now, you'll see.

------------------

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"IAEIL"?

'Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges', possibly?

And the other one's 'Shadows And Symbols', IIRC.

CGI's only good for battle scenes. Everything else should/could be motion-controlled models.

Look at 'The Die Is Cast' and 'Defiant'
if you want really good examples of model and camera work.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Nim
Member # 205

Yeah, the attacking Jem'Hadar wings were gorgeous. The Defiant put up a good show, too.
Too bad they never showed when the aft launchers fired.

------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff:
Sorry, can't agree with you about Stellar Cartography. The set made no sense in a technological sense, when they could have had much better displays with holograms. Hell, any holodeck would be a better SC. It is for this reason that I tend to believe that the large raised circular area between 7's operating console and the curved screen is a holo-emitter - for real 3d imaging.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps