Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Hi, hon, how you want your Klingon today? Smooth or extra bumpy? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hi, hon, how you want your Klingon today? Smooth or extra bumpy?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just a working theory.
Klingon babies are born without the ridges on their foreheads. These begin to develop shortly after birth, and continue until the Klingon is past puberty.

The TOS Klingons were "gentically" altered by their government to repress the forehead-crest bone (cartilidge?) growth, for some nefarious reason. Perhaps because of shame they felt over the "bumps", or to make their enemies underestimate them?

Just a theory.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alexander... he had "the ridges of a warrior" remember...

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it begs the question to be asked, where else do the Klingons have ridges at?

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Voyager folks are the perverse and sophomoric ones?

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least I freely admit it and I don't do it to get better ratings for my show.

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you aren't trying hard enough.

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the feck are you guys talking about? Voyager? Is this some spoiler about B'Ellana? If it is, I don't want to hear it!

Now, if the TOS-klingons were genetically altered then the procedure was probably done during the pregnancy.

So, if the fashion swings into letting ridges develop again, one needs only to stop manipulating the unborn babies genetically during pregnancy.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking perhaps that the Klingons stopped the growth by some sort of continual "injection"...

"Now, Kruge, remember that I love you and to take your bone shot today or your forehead is going to be feeling awfully raw tonight..."

::sigh:: "Yes, Valkris..."

Perhaps the Klingons ran out of this injection? It would explain Koloth, Kor, and Kang ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahah, you think Kruge shot his own mother to smithereens?

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Valkris was his mother?!?!?!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again, Pocket Books will be saving the day, non-canonically.

Unfortunately, looks as though you'll have to wait until Jan 2002 when "In the name of Honor" comes out.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

How are they going to explain it?

I'm so tired of Trek novels. Frankly, I think Ordover's a hack. They really went down the tube once he took over. I miss the good 'ole days, when Howard Weinstein's novels got liner notes by Gene Roddenberry and Michael Jan Friedman didn't steal ideas from himself (Saratoga is the exact same novel as Reunion). When John Vornholt's early novels (Masks, Contamination, Sanctuary, War Drums) were the best examples of what a Star Trek novel should be, and not dreck like his Dominion War and Rogue Saucer and Genesis Wave projects.

Rant over

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happen to like those last 3 projects you mentioned by Vornholt

------------------
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name... Enterprise"
- Alternate Picard, "Yesterday's Enterprise"

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited March 25, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you, uh, don't like the Trek Novels, then, uh, don't read them. And spare us your rant.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the old days of Mary Sue and "Triangle" and "Dreadnought!" and "Battlestations!" Excuse me while I hurl.

Now, We've got New Earth/Challenger and New Frontiers and the Q-Books and The Milennium DS9 Relaunch and things thaking place OUTSIDE the old tired timeframe and focus on main characters and "Stitch in Time" and "The 34th Rule" and "Diplomatic Implausibility," which is the best Klingon book since "Final Reflection." And new directions. The continuing of old fan favorites, like the Rihannsu books and the Yesterday saga. The upcoming TOS relaunch, "Lower Decks" style. Split Infinities, and finally, attempts to actually ANSWER some long standing questions like the aforementioned 'ridges' dilemma, and the 'What happened to Betazed during the war?' and 'Why didn't we see the Big-E during the war?', etc.

Lots of people bitch about loose ends... but then they bitch when someone tries to tie them up? *sigh* Some folks, there's no pleasing.

*end counter-rant*

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps