Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Races of the Federation (was Star Trek: X) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Races of the Federation (was Star Trek: X)
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found this website, which has nicely listed a lot of the races we have seen in Trek... and has made some liberties, in some of the race's membership status... but it gives us a nice list...

And I believe the names are pretty spot of - well at least for a few of the 'unknowns' that I can verify... I have the LP of the TMP soundtrack, and the inner sleeve has some pictures of aliens and their names, like the Rigellians etc...

I wonder where he got the names for the unknowns from Star Trek: IV and Star Trek: VI

Andrew

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you forgot to post the link. :-D

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He can't tell you what the link is - you have to see it for yourself. 8)

------------------
"Kif, I have made it with a woman! Inform the crew!"

- Zapp Brannigan

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*uses meditation to locate link*

Oooooooommmmmmm.......

------------------
"Or maybe he was a real quack who got sick and tired of pissing people off, and decided to get a life and masterbate for the next 10 years."
- Me to Antagonist on Red Quacker, 03/08/01 20:15

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might it possibly be Jack Bohn's Federation Members?

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!

How embarrasing ;o)
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/1558/UFP1.html

Its not the same as above, but I'll check that one out now!

Andrew

------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happen to have done a little research about this a week ago, and I came up with about 62(!) more-or-less established member *species* (there are likely a few independent members with humans, ex-colonies).

BTW, is Mars an independent UFP member, or is it still under Earth government?

------------------
To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen.
The Amtal Rule (Dune)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's never been mentioned. Aside from the shipyards, and the occasional reference to colonists, we don't hear a lot about Mars.

A possible point of evidence in favor of Martian independance are the "Fundamental Declarations" as mentioned in TOS. However, nothing was said about that document being a declaration of independance.

If I were to guess, I'd say no. Mars wasn't colonized until 2103, as per an episode of Voyager. That's only, uh, 58 years before the UFP comes into existance, which doesn't seem like enough time, to me.

On the other hand, I think there were more than a few fandom sources that listed Mars as one of the founding UFP members. (Though I am tempted to point out that, in the seventies, having a colony on Mars might have looked like a much nearer event than it does today. I fear the 2103 date is more realistic.)

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Realistic isn't a factor. Star Trek does not take place in this universe. They had interplanetary and limited interstellar capability on Earth a decade ago.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That page rather sucked... There are hardly any sources listed, Cochrane is shown as a Centauran, and there's a picture of a Mintakan in place of the Vulcanoid Rigellian.

------------------
"Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning. A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. � Believe in nothing..."
-Tool, �nima

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well, I didn't say I did it...

Andrew

------------------

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those names for the races from IV are taken the FASA RPG game, specifically a game booklet about the UFP. I am not sure where he got the name for the races from VI. On an interesting note, there is a large display at the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas that shows several "unnamed" races (including those from IV) and gives them names.

------------------
"The Internet. Is that thing still around?"
-Homer Simpson

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(latest count: 90+ members [IMNSHO])
Too bad he hasn't included any sources, but is nevertheless is one of the few sites with a list of the rarely seen members.

A few points:

Alpha Centaurian:
AC is given surprisingly little attention in the canon Star Trek universe, while it is one of the nearest stellar neighbours. The only thing we know is that Cochrane relocated to AC after his discovery of CDP, so it must have been at least an Earth (or allied, i.e. Vulcan, Tellarite or Andorian) colony before 2117, the year Cochrane disappeared.
It was most likely not a founding member, but there is a possibility it later became a member.

Arcturians:
Where were these aliens seen, and what's up with the 'Clone' version? Finally, where did the planet-name come from?

Ariolo:
Fillandia? Where did that came from?

Bandi:
I doubt the UFP would've admitted them. They did play a dirty trick on 'us'!

Betelgeusian:
Where were they seen, and is that an actual picture, or a drawing by a fan??

Canopian:
Where did he get the info Lt. Nara is a Canopian from Canopus Planet?

Capellan:
BTW, what happened to the Prime Directive in "Friday's Child" (TOS) anyway? The Capellans looked pre-warp to me!?

Coridan:
Was there any clue to believe the little copper guys were Coridans?

Troyians and Elasians, Eminiari and Vendikari:
After the possible peace, they could've joined, but there is no further evidence.

Edoan:
Could 'Edoan' and 'Edosian' be the same? Because that would make Arex' race more or less canon: Garak cared for Edosian orchids in "Broken Link" (DS9).

El-Aurians:
Definitely NOT a member (though individuals are integrated in society). They were attacked by the Borg more than 50 years after official first contact with the Borg.
My theory is they live somewhere to the 'northeast' of the Typhon sector, possibly inside Romulan territory, and that somehow it took them fifty years to travel to the core of the UFP. But that wouldn't explain why Guinan visited Earth before that. Maybe the old El-Aurians had better technology (which was then destroyed by repeated Borg attacks, before the El-Aurians finally left their world(s) 50 yrs before the launch of the ENt-B)
(that worked out pretty well..)

Halkans
I doubt they were members, because the UFP had to *ask* for mining rights. If it was a member, they would've also wanted to mine, wouldn't they?

Ilyrian
Where seen? Why members? Where does name come from?

Legaran:
Sarek made *treaties* with the Legarans, which implies to me that they are not members.

Medusan:
Why should they be members?

Mizarian:
Apart from a few Mizarian civilians on the Enterprise-D (in "Generation", IIRC), is there any reason to assume they are members?

Rasiinian:
Episode? Why member? Origin of name?

Rigellians:
Where were the 'chelonoids' (what does that mean?) mentioned / seen?
is that an actual picture?

Therbians/Aaamazzarites:
Jack Bohn calls them Aaamazzarites on his page, so where does the name Therbian come from, and which one is correct??

Xenexians:
I assume this is a real Xenexian, from Mattel
Seriously, am I to assume Xenexians resemble Barbie-dolls!? I can't believe this is a real picture of one.
BTW, where were Xenexians supposed to have been seen?

Zeosian:
Where did that name come from? This is the webbed-feet guy from ST:VI, right?

Now, a few names of homeworlds:
Where did they come from and, are they generally accepted?
Arcturus IV for the Arcturians
Arken II for the Arkenites
Fillandia for the Ariolo
Betelgeuse II for the Betelgeusians
Althos IV for the Bzzit Khaht
Gemworld (!?) for the Elaysians
Kashet (I'd think Kasheeta was the name of both the species and the planet...)
Rhaandaran for the Rhaandarites
Xelata for the Xelatians
Xenex for the Xenexians

What about the Danteri? Episode? Why member? Origin of name?

And that's enough for one day.
If TPTB ever decide to do another UFP counsil scene, they'd better do some very, very good research.

------------------
To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen.
The Amtal Rule (Dune)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Arcturians:
Where were these aliens seen, and what's up with the 'Clone' version? Finally, where did the planet-name come from?

The first Arcturian is from The Search for Spock.
The clone is from TMP. Name from The Art of Star Trek.

quote:
Ariolo:
Fillandia? Where did that came from?

Appeared in The Voyage Home. Name IIRC from FASA.

quote:
Betelgeusian:
Where were they seen, and is that an actual picture, or a drawing by a fan??

TMP. Picture and name for the race from The Art of Star Trek.

quote:
Ilyrian
Where seen? Why members? Where does name come from?

According to the book "Vulcan's Glory", Number One (Pike's XO) was from Ilyria.

quote:
Rasiinian:
Episode? Why member? Origin of name?

DS9 The Muse http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/1558/ufpbio/Rasiinian.html

quote:
Rigellians:
Where were the 'chelonoids' (what does that mean?) mentioned / seen?
is that an actual picture?

TMP. Name and picture from The Art of Star Trek.

quote:
BTW, where were Xenexians supposed to have been seen?

Not onscreen. This race is from Peter David's New Frontier series.

quote:
Zeosian:
This is the webbed-feet guy from ST:VI, right?

Yupp.

quote:
What about the Danteri? Episode? Why member? Origin of name?

A race from Peter David's New Frontier series.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited April 01, 2001).]

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to favor Jack Bohn's site as posted by Shik. Just because it stays away from novels. Of course, I will support any site that includes the Caitans...

------------------
Purrr...

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps