Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Project "Federation" (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Project "Federation"
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christ, one Ritten was bad enough, now we've to contend with RittenRitten, a powered-up version that morphed after coming in contact with Ash's Terragen Mists - With 39 points of articulation and spring-loaded "missile" launcher!!

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prakesh
Additional information about the inhabitants of Deneb IV.

I obtained this information from the historical files of Gary Mitchell in "Where No Man Has Gone Before". The inhabitants of Deneb IV have telepathy.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The inhabitants we saw in "Encounter at Farpoint" certainly didn't appear very telepathic. We could apply three explanations:

1) Perhaps the Bandi really are telepathic, but only amongst themselves - like the Cairn of "Dark Page". We didn't really see any of them speaking to each other, now did we? This is the most interesting of the explanations IMHO.

2) Perhaps only a few of the Bandi are telepathic, and no such individuals were seen, but enough of them do exist to earn them a mention in Federation records - just like Dehner and Mitchell displayed psi-abilities even though Trek humans in general do not.

3) Perhaps we're talking about different Denebs here. Would also help with the distance problem. The telepaths could be living on Deneb IV thousands of ly away, while the Bandi could be living on Deneb Kaitos IV just a couple of dozen ly away from Earth.

Hmm. If we choose to believe in those "WNMHGB" records, then it seems Gary Mitchell made Lt.Cmdr at the tender age of 23. I guess having telepathic skills doesn't exactly slow down your career development...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Gary Mitchell actually had TELEPATHY... just that his ESP rating was high... that he along with the Doctor lady... Barabra Kellerman... what was the character... were more 'in tune' or more 'susceptible' to ESP-type things.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering what the writers of Voyager have done to the Ktarians, it is almost safe to say there are two races with (almost) the same name:

1. Ktarians from Ktaria VII, non-members, looking like in "The Game"
2. Ktarians from Katurus (Caturus?), members, looking mostly like Naomi

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What have the Voyager writers done to the race, really? I guess it's possible there are two different races there by the same name, but IMHO it's also possible there is just a single race that has two facial structures (perhaps gender-related, perhaps age-related).

The other differences between TNG-Ktarians and Voyager-Ktarians don't seem to be so significant - it's not as if "The Game" or "The Chase" said Ktarians *don't* have music festivals, or as if Voyager said Ktarians *do* like mysteries after all. That is, there are no explicit contradictions. Or are there?

Timo Saloniemi

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On that note, what about all the different races with the name "Terellian?" That word seems to be the running joke in Star Trek whenever some alien race of the week pops up.

------------------
Lisa: "OK, now we're gonna pick jobs out of the chore hat. Dad, you go first."
Homer: "Come on, bikini inspector...scrub toilet! Ohhhwww...OK, that was a practice..."

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tellurian
Tellerian
Talarian
Telarian

All very original, IMNSHO.

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, he's referring to the Tarellians, Terellians, and Terrellians.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On that, I just assume the writers spelled it differently three times, but that it is actually the same thing.

There is also the A*osian thing that seems to be very popular.

------------------
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the Tarellians were the plague-infested people that tried to land on Haven, and Troi's fiacné went to live on their ship. Terellians have four arms.

Terrellians don't really have any distinct characteristics known. They could be the same as the four-armers...

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coolest name ever for an alien race:

The Nahydren

- really rolls of the tongue, and it actually sounds different than the usual barrage of -ians/-ites/-ons/-etc.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I've always been rather partial to the name "Tzenkethi", myself...

------------------
-Maynard James Keenan

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

My favorites include the Sheliak, the Reegrunion and the Skreea.

------------------
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---

Timo
Member # 245

Not to forget the Nauseaans, er, Nausicaans.

Anybody remember fondly the days when species names contained silly if indirect references to the appearance of the species? Vendorians for a race that changes its appearance - Phylosians for intelligent plants - Argosians for underwater dwellers. I wonder if the Universal Translator has a "weird humor subroutine" for inventing these semi-translated names?

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps