Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starfleet NCO Ranks (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Starfleet NCO Ranks
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I know the 2nd (yes, I mean 2nd) ed. of the Encyclopaedia has Movie-era NCO rank pins. How 'canon' are they, though? Have they been seen on screen or are they figment's of Drexler's imagination?

Maybe you can compare the E2-pins with the pins on this site:
http://www.8ung.at/fitz/uniforms/2278-2350/ranks.htm

The pins from my site are derived from Bob Fletcher's notes, so I'm pretty sure that they were used in the movies and therefore canon.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That chevron thing is listed in the Encyclopedia as the rank for Chief of Operations. A single half pip is listed as Chief Warrant Officer.

Well as we all know the Encyclopedia isn't always right, and in my opinion it definitely isn't right in this case. Throughout DS9 it was made pretty clear that Chief of Operations was a position not a rank. In addition, O�Brien was stated on at least one occasion to be a Chief Petty Officer.

Also note that the chief in Valiant wore the same insignia as O�Brien.

As for Chief Warrant Officer, I am pretty sure that there has been no canonical mention of them, though I do believe that a single half pip is a good insignia for them (if they do exist).

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And why do I seem to remember Kozinski wearing a square pip? Specialst rating? Maybe, but unlikely. Civilian advisor from the reserves? Perhaps, but then why was Kyle Riker "out of uniform?"

Hmm.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The square pin could have been the insignia for a CWO at the time (later changing to a half pip).

Did any of TPTB ever mention what the square pip was supposed to symbolize?

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kosinsky didn't wear the Starfleet insignia. This might be another hint that he was a civilian.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kozinski incedent was an example of early series flub-ups. Basically they hadn't defined what the com badge or the rank insignia meant. They probably put a square on him and left off the com badge to indicate that he wasn't a Starfeet officer. I doubt they put a whole lot more thought into it than that.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sit corrected, thank you. Hee hee...and I like that "pip" "squeak" thing! Although I do have one question. The 1st and 2nd Class Petty Officer rank pins are so similar, how are you supposed to tell them apart at a glance?

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
The 1st and 2nd Class Petty Officer rank pins are so similar, how are you supposed to tell them apart at a glance?

Good point. I don't know. It's hardly possible to identify the NCO pins in the movies.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In most cases, you don't need to tell them apart.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Encyclopedia is definitely wrong about the pip on O'Brien's collar in Deep Space Nine. In the episode where Bashir and O'Brien land on the planet with Jem'Hadar soldiers trying to get unaddicted from Ketracel White, the First looks at O'Brien's collar and is able to tell that he is a Chief Petty Officer.

As for the square pips, I seem to recall seeing those a lot in the first season of TNG. In fact, I think the first Chief Engineer (Argyle?) wore square pips on his collar the couple times we saw him. Maybe the square pips were originally intended to be some sort of special engineering identifier?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For clarification, The Encyclopedia Updated and Expanded Edition (aka Encyclopedia 2) has the flubbed movie rank pins. This was pointed out, and when Pocket tacked on the extra pages for current edition, they went back and changed that one page and so it's apparently correct now.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
and so it's apparently correct now.

Nope, it isn't. One look at the Lt. Cmdr. pin shows that.

Can anyone scan the E2-site?

--------------------

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NCO ranks seen in the movies? Yes I think one was. Star Trek VI (6), when the Klingons were beamed back to their ship after dinner, the transporter operator was an NCO and if I remember correctly, he has some sort of rank insignia resembling those shown in the Encyclopedia above the band on his left sleeve.

I don't have a clear picture of it though, can someone confirm/deny this please?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

There were plenty of NCOs and NCO insignia in the movies.

Just a few for example
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/nco1.jpg
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/nco2.jpg
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/nco3.jpg
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/nco4.jpg

[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is another (more recent) freak-rank designation: four full pips with a horizontal line under it. It was worn by Deputy Director(rank/grade or position?) Luther Sloan of Internal Affairs in the first S31 episode.
So, what exactly does the bar depict? Is it solely for Internal Affairs/Intel? Is there anything like that in the U.S. Navy?
Sloan's rank

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps