Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starfleet NCO Ranks (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Starfleet NCO Ranks
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally think it's the contemporary insignia for Fleet Captain -- which as any Navy afficionado can tell you is not a Captain in charge of a fleet, but a term used for a regular old O-6 assigned to desk duty in the Fleet Command areas rather than a line-serving Captain. The bar would be the way of indicating he's risen through the ranks as a desk-jockey, and thus while he holds the rank of Captain, he isn't qualified to make command decisions on the bridge of a starship.

At least, that's my interpretation.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember that theory being floated back in the day when we were haggling over the Sloan's insignia might mean. It is interesting though--I like it much better than the (more popular) idea that they would make a special rank insugnia for people in IA.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you might be so willing as to accept a theory:

In the TNG era, "Petty Officers" and "Warrant Officers" have been combined.

Upon achieving, say, Petty Officer First Class, the holder recieves a warrant of equivalent service to an Ensign, and as someone puts in more service, as well as a continually-increasing petty officer rank (rate?) they'd also get a continually-increasing warrant. (The rate might simply climb based on years of service while the warrant might advance on a merit-only system.)

In the uber-egalitarian world of TNG, petty officers w/warrants would actually get to wear the same rank insignia as their equivalently-qualified friends who'd gone through the Academy.

So, O'Brien in "Encounter at Farpoint" held an ensign's warrant, which bumped up to lieutenant (jg) by the second season and eventually hit full lieutenant. (Methinks Picard was impressed as hell with this guy.) This would explain why absolutely every extra on the show had officer's pips on, because some of them were in face enlistees w/warrants.

Anyway, as Riker "yes lieutenant" proved, this system promoted confusion when addressing these guys. So, around the time of "Realm of Fear," Starfleet ditches the Barneyriffic everyone-is-special system and makes all the petty officers wear single hollow pips.

This, too, is kinda unfair as well. So finally, compromise... the new rank system introduced in "The Visitor" has chevrons to indicate rating as a petty officer and pips alongside them to indicate warrant officer equivalency.

Evidently it's damn near impossible to get a lt. cmdr's equivalency in warrant form, as O'Brien would have kept a full lieutenant's equivalency from season 4 of TNG (yes/no?) to the end of DS9, or nine years.. which is in the Data zone.

Thoughts?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Repost the second... hurray for server hiccoughs

[ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Repost the third... hurray for server hiccoughs

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Repost the fourth... hurray for server hiccoughs

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was comment that O'Brien's move to DS9 included a promotion. So he would have been a Chief Petty Officer on the E-D at the time he left, but a Senior Chief either upon his arrival at DS9 or at least before the end of the second season.

So if you have that whole officer equivalency thing going, he would have made it to "the Data Zone".

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note that a military promotion can be job rather than rank (e.g. when a Commander who is XO of a ship is given his own command).

O'Brien was head of an engineering department on a large starship. He was promoted to the chief engineer (called chief of operations) of an entire starbase. Definitely a promotion.

Not that I think your wrong. It would make sense if he got bumped up to Senior Chief around the same time. That may have even been the reasoning behind giving him (what appears to be) a senior chief insignia.

This of course seems to be another case when the art department and the writers don't seem to have the faintest idea of what each other are doing (which is the reason we get four-star rear admirals). Someone in power may have told the art department to design O'Brien's patch to resemble the current senior chief petty officer's patch. But I don't think the writer's ever got (or chose to regard this information).

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.starbasegalorra.org.uk/

Go to this site. Now, click on the Database icon, then click on the UFP icon that loads up. OK, now scroll down until you find the "RANK COMPARISON CHARTS" and then click on the Starfleet insignia to access the section. Right, the first page is only concerned with officer ranks - we're not talking about them (although I must point out that they've missed out Fleet Captain) so goto the bottom and click "Continue".

OK, now we are on the page showing enlisted ranks of Starfleet. The bit I'd like to draw your attention to is the experience table at the bottom. As far as I can tell, this describes a similar promotion system to the one discussed by The_Tom. The reasons why I show you this are:

1) The person who made this site has put a lot of effort into it.

2) The site needs fresh blood to it - so join up! (Cheeky, ain't I?)

3) The pics are pretty decent

4) I'd like a better explaination for the Warrant Officer ranks and higher NCO ranks too (experience wise) as I'm not sure it works.

Anyway, as most people say: discuss (please).

(And yes I love these smiley faces)

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dig the "experience CoC" table, too.

What I'd suggest for aesthetics is moving the warrant ranks down one step, so that one black pip coincides with the one dot (plus three chevrons) of CPO rate, two black pips coincide with the two dots of SCPO, and *three* black pips coincide with the three dots of MCPO.

This would also mean that O'Brien's moving from his single-pipped TNG "warrant" to a supposed DS9 rate of SCPO would look like a promotion to him, not just a transfer. Of course, the collar markings of O'Brien never made real sense, but at least we could now pretend that he was a CPO all the time aboard the Enterprise, simply with a warrant given by Picard because he was short of real officers in "Encounter at Farpoint". This warrant expired some years into DS9, by which time O'Brien's "real" rate had been raised with a promotion from CPO to SCPO. O'Brien then reverted to this rate, since he and Sisko felt it unnecessary to play with warrants any more - things were less formal aboard the station than they had been aboard the Federation Flagship.

We could also pretend that during the times O'Brien wore two pips in TNG (and Riker stupidly mistook him for Lieutenant), his warrant was temporarily hitched up one notch for some reasons of bureaucracy (perhaps his status as transporter chief was endangered because another single-pip warrant officer had temporarily come aboard, and a pecking order had to be established?). Toying with warrants feels more acceptable than toying with actual ranks and rates - warrants come and go, while ranks at least are eternal.

Naturally, every time we thought we saw one of O'Brien's TNG pips was silver, we were just seeing things. The pips were solid black all the time. (Comparing the pips in "Encounter at Farpoint" and "All Good Things.." should be proof enough!)

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the alien ranks page, I suggest that the Bajoran ranks be reorganized according to what Frank G came up with at http://frankg.dgne.com/bri/index.html

That's some serious research, and would seem to match the canon data very well. Also, I see little reason to bump a Bajoran General down to the level of a Starfleet Fleet Captain - Generals should be flag officers (Admirals in Starfleet parlance) in all the naming systems.

The Romulan system looks all right to me, based on what precious little we know of it so far. One could, however, insert the putative rank of Sub-centurion there as well, and thus fill the gaps in comparison with Starfleet ranks (Centurion=Lt.Cmdr, Sub-centurion =Lt).

For the lowest rank in the Tal'Shiar system, I suggest sticking to good old US Army ranks, since all the other T'S ranks seem to follow that pattern as well. So instead of Uhlan, there would simply be 1st Lt.

The Cardassian system could be more complex than shown, for the simple reason that the Universal Translator refuses to translate the rank names. It could be that there is no correlation between Cardassian and Starfleet ranks at all. A Gul could correspond to any Starfleet rank, depending on circumstances - perhaps the position is more decisive than the rank, so that the commanding officer of a tiny patrol boat is a Gul, grossly outranked by the Glinn of a larger ship. It seems to matter which "Order" the officer is coming from, too - apparently, the smaller the number of the Order, the higher the influence of the officer.

The Klingon system is of course a total mess (not because you'd have messed it up, but because Paramount did). I simply refuse to believe that the Klingon Colonel could be a flag rank. More probably, the Klingon system once again is a perfect parallel of the US system, yet the Klingons utilize both Army *and* Navy ranks. What about this theory: Klingons vastly prefer Army ranks, since those show that the officer has shown prowess in ground combat, the highly honorable form of warfare. Naval warfare is less honorable because you can't slay starships with bare hands, but have to relinquish some of the honor of the kill to a *machine*. Thus, even the people flying the starships typically carry Army ranks, but there are special situations where they accept naval designations. OTOH, to proudly carry nothing but a naval rank shows that the guy or gal must be REALLY good at what he's doing in terms of space battle.

In fact, the only Klingon naval ranks we have heard so far are "Captain" and "Commander", right? And these might not be ranks at all, but simply positions: the top officer of a ship (probably a Colonel, Lt.Colonel or Major in rank) is the captain of the ship, or the commander of his crew, by job description!

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alexander stated that he was a "bekk" in DS9.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must be getting tired or drunk, when I saw this
quote:
Master CPO - 3 chevrons & 3 dots
Senior CPO - 3 chevrons & 2 dots (O'Brien)

in the second or third post on the first page, I thought it said Master C3PO and Senior C3PO.
That is all. I'll find something more useful to add later.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drill Sergeant C3PO? "What is your major malfunction, bucketabolts? Drop and give me fifty! I am fluent in over five million forms of unarmed combat! Oh my!"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Alexander stated that he was a "bekk" in DS9.

Say what? A "bekk"? What's that when it's at home?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps